Former FSU QB Clint Trickett (transferred to West Virginia)

IronMan70

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Trickett will visit Auburn and Michigan, although USF and WVU remain the frontrunners.

Hmm, interesting development. ;)

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Trickett will visit Auburn and Michigan, although USF and WVU remain the frontrunners.

Hmm, interesting development. ;)

The interest alone indicates to me neither QB has stepped up the way the coaches would like.

t's difficult to see it any other way. I stand by my prediction that he starts against WSU. It will be good to see how this plays out. It would behoove Kiehl to step up tomorrow. Sorta "serve notice" if you will. If he doesn't it means we better find someone just in case.

t's difficult to see it any other way. I stand by my prediction that he starts against WSU. It will be good to see how this plays out. It would behoove Kiehl to step up tomorrow. Sorta "serve notice" if you will. If he doesn't it means we better find someone just in case.

Let's say for discussion purposes following plays out.

* Nick Marshall becomes a star at position other than QB

* Jason Smith becomes to valuable at WR

That would leave 3 QB;s / He could add true QB depth.

Man you must be smoking something if you are already predicting a guy will start when he has not even decided to visit, much less transfer to Auburn.

Let's say for discussion purposes following plays out.

* Nick Marshall becomes a star at position other than QB

* Jason Smith becomes to valuable at WR

That would leave 3 QB;s / He could add true QB depth.

Highly unlikely on that but he still could be brought in to compete

FWIW Trickett Freshman highlights

The thing I like most about him is his pocket awareness. He also has a nice touch on the ball on those short and medium passes. He won't be throwing many 60 yard bombs but he is a gritty possession type QB. It would be nice to have someone like him around for insurance. You get an injury or two and before you know it you are in trouble and forced to make a decision on burning redshirts.

Before I started this thread, the first thing I thought about when I heard about his situation was insurance. That and the CDC connection. I'm not sure Trickett would go someplace to be insurance, probably not, but CDC was his position coach so you never know. CDC might even think CT is able to make a run at it along with the other 3 (KF, JW, NM). Having someone like him around this year would mean that in a worse case scenario we would never have to mortgage our future by being forced to burn redshirts on true Freshmen.

The thing I like most about him is his pocket awareness. He also has a nice touch on the ball on those short and medium passes. He won't be throwing many 60 yard bombs but he is a gritty possession type QB. It would be nice to have someone like him around for insurance. You get an injury or two and before you know it you are in trouble and forced to make a decision on burning redshirts.

Before I started this thread, the first thing I thought about when I heard about his situation was insurance. That and the CDC connection. I'm not sure Trickett would go someplace to be insurance, probably not, but CDC was his position coach so you never know. CDC might even think CT is able to make a run at it along with the other 3 (KF, JW, NM). Having someone like him around this year would mean that in a worse case scenario we would never have to mortgage our future by being forced to burn redshirts on true Freshmen.

If JJ or JS was the best QB for the job in 2013 I would not consider it burning a redshirt. I would consider it a quality investment. Not predicting either one will win it. Just saying that is how I would view it.

If JJ or JS was the best QB for the job in 2013 I would not consider it burning a redshirt. I would consider it a quality investment. Not predicting either one will win it. Just saying that is how I would view it.

I would agree with that if either of them were the unquestioned leader going in to game #1. I don't think that will be the case that early though, but if it is, we would have ourselves a real winner on our hands.

Edit: After watching the A-Day game, I now think for the first time that JJ, NM and JS will all have a realistic chance to come in and win the starting job.

Man you must be smoking something if you are already predicting a guy will start when he has not even decided to visit, much less transfer to Auburn.

I was talking about Kiehl starting E. Not the FSU kid. Sorry I worded that wrong. I was just stepping up and standing by my prediction that KF starts against WSU. I may be wrong and if I am then so be it. I'm just not going to go back on what I said. Apologies for the confusion.

I was talking about Kiehl starting E. Not the FSU kid. Sorry I worded that wrong. I was just stepping up and standing by my prediction that KF starts against WSU. I may be wrong and if I am then so be it. I'm just not going to go back on what I said. Apologies for the confusion.

Well get it straight kid......

Well get it straight kid......

I know, I know...I am loyal to a fault at times. I still believe in Kiehl. Something just tells me he will get it all together. Maybe he got to hang around Jason Campbell some.

AU has a QB problem: the two current scholarship QBs to go through spring training don't have a lock on the position, and either could be supplanted by the two newcomers in the fall -- a JUCO transfer and a true freshman. ... ... Why would we not give this kid a look? If CDC coached Clint at FSU then he's not an unknown quantity. The father's issues at AU have nothing to do with the son. If CDC thinks it's worthwhile and AU has scholarship room then I can't see adding Clint Trickett as anything else but a positive.

PASS !

+1 I watched the game yesterday with an open mind and I saw some improvement from KF. He did not play TOO badly against Clemson last year. He just needs to put some success behind him. He had a couple of great runs yesterday and seemed to get better as things went along. JW looked okay as well and he will make a great b/u QB. As is seems like the team is comfortable with him. He has tapped his potential as a QB though IMO.

We do not need Trickett in my opinion. However; we need to hope and pray either NM or JJ use this summer wisely and come in ready in August or hope and pray Wallace improves greatly between now and August. Those three are who we are counting on for at least a 7 win season in 2013.

wde

We do not need Trickett in my opinion. However; we need to hope and pray either NM or JJ use this summer wisely and come in ready in August or hope and pray Wallace improves greatly between now and August. Those three are who we are counting on for at least a 7 win season in 2013.

wde

I've nothing against "Hope & Prayer" in general, but ... ... I believe your post just made an argument for AU to take a chance on Clint Trickett! Seriously, at this point in time what could it hurt to have another option "just in case?"

What we need is an efficient passer that does not turn the ball over. If the coaches feel Tricket is the best available with that skill set then I am all for it.

From what I have heard, his father was one of the most hated coaches to ever coach at AU. I dont think he would consider us, and I think that feeling is mutual.

His father was interviewed on a post game show at Auburn and told a couple of fans off when they questioned him about something. He left when tot did so I doubt that he has any particular animosity toward Auburn other than just being a general jerk. He's tied into the Bowden's though thus his current job. D. Craig was the qb coach at FSU last year and if he wants the kid, he should go get him. I can't believe he's any better than what we already have though if he can't play at FSU.

Wouldn't D. Craig, know if he is better?

Good point. I would expect if he is visiting, that DC must think he is worth a look.

We will begin to get some last looks from the great QB's after this season. Gus and Rhett are gonna need to work their magic for a while first, IMO.

Archived