AU ranked #6 -

tarheeltiger

Just looked at Sagarin Computer poll. AU ranked 6 - behind Texas and Cal - one spot above Boise State.

It looks like our SOS hurts use as we show NO wins against TOP 10 teams - Sagarin obviously factors SOS based on current rank and not rank at the time of the game.

SEC title will NOT help us in Sagarin - UT is ranked a measly 22nd.

If this reflects the other computers at all then we could get #2 in both polls and still end up 3rd.

Our best shot is Notre Dame or UCLA. I don't think we can count on OK blowing it in their next two games (unless it gets out Stoops is going to Florida and causes some major distractions)

There was a time when the Sagrin rankings seemed to make sense, but recently they have a severe western slant. I think that part of the problem is that there are too few interconference games among BCS conference schools leaving the computer having to make too much of too few interconference games. Certainly, having MSU lose to Maine and Ole Missy lose to Memphis and Wyoming certainly do not help our case.

Also, playing The Citadel after Bowling Green pulled out of a scheduled game with us to play OKLAHOMA did not help our SOS.

All our guys can do is keep winning, decisively, and hope that logic will prevail so that we can prove, on the field, that we are the best team in the land.

the lowest computer poll gets thrown out anyway, but that's ridiculous. the bcs committee should take a long hard look at the computer polls that they do use. it's obscene to say cal and texas are better than us OR that boise state who has played i think 2 teams with a winning record belong in the top 10. there's no way a computer formula that comes up with those kinds of results should be a used to determine anything.

Isn't strength of schedule a skewed statistic? For example: Oklahoma played Houston. Auburn played Citadel. Does Houston really have a better chance than Citadel to beat any top 10 team? I don't think so. However, OU gets many more points for beating the crap out of Houston than AU does for doing the same to Citadel. Something needs to be changed.

What's up with the Peter Wolfe computer poll, he was the one hosing us last week. He had Cal, Texas, Utah, Boise State and Arizona State ahead of us. I know it gets thrown out but Geez, what is this dude smokin and can we get some of it here in Alabama.

Auburn just neeeds to win the next two and WE WILL pass Oklahoma for #2 in BOTH polls. We are tied for #2 in the AP and only 2 points behind #2 in the Coaches!

If we finish 2 in both polls-those Computer polls won't matter!! Both human polls are 2/3 of the BCS formula.

JUST WIN.

Auburn just neeeds to win the next two and WE WILL pass Oklahoma for #2 in BOTH polls.  We are tied for #2 in the AP and only 2 points behind #2 in the Coaches!

If we finish 2 in both polls-those Computer polls won't matter!! Both human polls are 2/3 of the BCS formula.

JUST WIN.

121837[/snapback]

Not so fast my friend...as much as I wish you were right, thats not the case.

You don't get the full points for your position in the polls. They go by the actual points in the polls. So if we are 2nd and Oklahoma is 3rd, but we are only up by like 5 points in each poll, they could still go ahead of us becuase of their high computer ranking.

All we can do is keep winning convincingly and hope the voters take notice. I still think if we win out that we are heading to Miami. I think there are enough SEC coaches in the coaches poll for us to get a lot of those points. I don't see how an SEC coach could not put us number 1, but a lot of them might be waiting to see if we win the SEC undefeated.

Auburn just neeeds to win the next two and WE WILL pass Oklahoma for #2 in BOTH polls.  We are tied for #2 in the AP and only 2 points behind #2 in the Coaches!

JUST WIN.

121837[/snapback]

I'm not too sure about that...because Oklahoma is still number 1 in the computers, and I don't think that will budge too much. It will be a very close race, and I just hope that we make it to Miami.

I posted this in another thread, but if the computers stay just as they are, we need 12 coaches and 11 writers to switch us from #3 to #2 over Oklahoma in their rankings to overtake them. They cannot get anymore points in the computers than they already have, so if they lose any ground to USC in the computers, we'll need even less.

I hate to say it, but we really NEED to run up the score on Bammer IF we can! Another STATEMENT on National TV couldn't hurt! <_<;)

Archived