Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge

MDM4AU

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/eagle-scout-facing-expulsion-over-gun-charge.html/print/

Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge

By Todd Starnes

Eagle Scout Cole Withrow was just a few weeks from graduating with honors from his North Carolina high school, but now the active church member is facing a felony weapons charge and a precarious future after accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot.

Most members of the Johnston County community, just southeast of Raleigh believe the 18-year-old is paying far too big a price for an honest mistake. Withrow had been skeet shooting with friends a day before, and only noticed he had left his shotgun in his truck on Monday morning as he reached to grab his book bag, said family friend Kimberly Boykin. When he realized his mistake, rather than leave school grounds, he went to the front office to call his mother for help.

“He didn’t know what to do,” Boykin, whose son is friends with Withrow, told Fox News. “If you jump in the truck and leave, then they get you for skipping school. Once you are there you have to say.

“I think it’s an injustice for this young man,” she added. “He’s a good guy. He’s loved by his classmates and his teachers. You don’t become an Eagle Scout by being a bad seed.” She said the school district is sending a very bad message to students.

“You teach your kids if you’re in trouble or if you see you’ve done something wrong, go ahead and admit it,” she said. “Be a man and it’ll be fixed. In this case, that’s what he did and he’s being punished for it. That’s not the lesson we need to teach our kids.”

Withrow, who did his senior class project on gun safety, locked the gun in his truck before going to call his mother. But when he asked her to come and take the gun, the trouble started.

“He was overheard in a private conversation with his mother explaining what happened,” Boykin said. “He could have told a story, but he told the truth.”

A spokesperson for Johnston County Schools confirmed to Fox News that they found the shotgun in Withrow’s locked vehicle.

“The law is very clear when a person knowingly and willingly brings a weapon onto educational property,” spokesperson Tracey Peedin Jones said. “The situation was turned over to law enforcement immediately.”

Boykin said he was also expelled for 365 days – meaning that he will not be able to graduate from high school.

“He cannot go back on the campus,” Boykin said. “If that happens he won’t get a diploma. He won’t get to walk across the stage with the kids he’s known since birth. He won’t get to start college in the fall.”

Withrow’s arrest has sparked outrage across this small town, southeast of Raleigh. A Facebook page has been launched to generate support for the boy – and students have launched a Twitter hash-tag “#FREECOLE.”

“He is very honest and respectable and would never intentionally try to hurt anyone,” said classmate Kelcie Thomas. “It was an honest mistake and my whole school is backing him up and supporting him fully.”

The Withrow family is not talking to the media on the advice of their attorney – but Boykin said the family is just heartbroken.

“It’s almost like they are in a fog – something so innocent has turned into this big to-do,” she said. “When you try to do the right thing, you get in trouble.”

The school system is standing by their decision.

“Administration reacted promptly and the proper procedures and protocol were followed,” Jones said. “The situation was turned over to law enforcement immediately. As a result of our investigation, it is our best determination that students and staff were safe at all times.”

Boykin said the problem is that the laws are black and white. “There’s no room for gray area,” she said. “There’s no room for discretion for human error.”

While his future remains unclear, Boykin said an encounter last week sums up the character of Cole Withrow. "The kids got their caps and gowns on Friday and after school a group of them went to a local Mexican restaurant,” she recounted. “They were being loud teenagers and carrying on – but when the waiter brought their food – the table got quiet. They all bowed their heads and they said the blessing. Cole was one of those kids.”

Boykin said she cried when another mom told her that story.

“They don’t always make the right decisions,” she said. “But I don’t know what other kind of decision he could have made at that point.”

Like many in this town of 1,000 residents, Boykin is dumbfounded.

“Honestly, my heart just broke,” she said. “I know that it was just an honest mistake.”

I emailed the principal over this. It's boneheaded ignorance. The kid was trying to do the right thing when he realized his error. The lesson this pinhead principal and local police are teaching: "Hey kids, if you accidentally do this in the future, lie your asses off. Leave school unexcused to take the gun back home and if you're questioned as to why, lie and say you ripped your pants or something. You'll probably just get a day of detention."

Principal's email: KirkDenning@johnston.k12.nc.us

By the way, the local news there reported that the assistant principal brought a loaded pistol to school (left in her car as well) last year. She was suspended for 3 days.

These types of stories are so infuriating. Agree that the lack of common sense/logic by so-called "educators" can be mind-boggling. This kid should be held up as a great example of what it means to be responsible and mature by the way he handled the situation, but once again, the "adults" proved to be moronic.

wde

Expulsion is an over reaction, but the guy brought a gun to school. Bad enough, under any circumstances, but after Columbine, after Newtown, that' just flat out inexcusable.

And while he was TRYING to correct his screw up, you can't call from the main office and yammer on to your mom about picking up the gun you have in your truck, that's parked outside of the school! BONEHEAD !

And this guy is an Eagle Scout ? Honors or not, he's looking pretty damn dense to me.

Expulsion is an over reaction, but the guy brought a gun to school. Bad enough, under any circumstances, but after Columbine, after Newtown, that' just flat out inexcusable.

And while he was TRYING to correct his screw up, you can't call from the main office and yammer on to your mom about picking up the gun you have in your truck, that's parked outside of the school! BONEHEAD !

And this guy is an Eagle Scout ? Honors or not, he's looking pretty damn dense to me.

He deserved a reprimand, maybe even detention for a couple of days. But as you pointed out, when he realized it he went to the office and called his mom to come get it. He wasn't hiding it and he was honest. The school should use some common sense.

He should have hid it, is my point. At least to the point that he not let anyone over hear his conversation w/ his mom. Once it was ' ver heard', then it's game over. I think he used poor judgment, twice.

This is another example that a "zero tolerance policy" really means "I am too stupid or gutless to make good decisions based on the facts at hand."

So he should have hid it, taken the chance of a random inspection (like what happened in Valley Alabama) finding it, and having no chance to plead not guilty? No, he did the right thing and is now being punished for it. Its bad when thinking through a situation and being responsible ruins your life.

So he should have hid it, taken the chance of a random inspection (like what happened in Valley Alabama) finding it, and having no chance to plead not guilty? No, he did the right thing and is now being punished for it. Its bad when thinking through a situation and being responsible ruins your life.

By ' hid it', I don't so much mean the gun, but he should have made sure no one heard his conversation w/ his mom. From the description, it doesn't sound like he had it sitting in a gun rack, in plain view. But he 'discovered' it when he went reaching for his book bag. Smart options would be try to conceal it, and just go on w/ the rest of the day, gone home w/ it and risk an unexcused absence , or call his mom on the QT.

That this guy was an ES and an honor student, seems to want to make folks give him a pass. Had he been some average Joe, w/ a b/c gpa, would the outcry be as loud ? I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htVkGx4_GqA

Of course it wouldn't be as loud...but his history just bolsters the fact that this isn't some thug trying to pull a fast one. He's a respectable, accomplished (for his age), honest kid with nothing in his background to suggest he did this on purpose or would ever harm anyone. In fact things like being an Eagle Scout and Honor Student just go to cement that fact.

He probably didn't hide it because part of that Eagle Scout background is a heavy emphasis on integrity and honesty. He's probably been taught that telling the truth is paramount and that the only people who try to be sneaky and hide things are those who actually have something to hide. He had no expectation that the school administrator's were actually lobotomy patients that wouldn't know how to use discretion and allow his mom to come get the gun.

This is another example that a "zero tolerance policy" really means "I am too stupid or gutless to make good decisions based on the facts at hand."

I agree with this.

Apparently he has to resort to the legal system in order to get a hearing from someone (a judge) who is willing (or able) to apply some reason to the situation.

This is a sad reflection on the principal.

I agree with this.

Apparently he has to resort to the legal system in order to get a hearing from someone (a judge) who is willing (or able) to apply some reason to the situation.

I'd also attack the local ordinance or law on discriminatory grounds. There's no reason to make it a misdemeanor for a school administrator while its an automatic felony for a student to commit the same violation.

I agree with this.

I'd also attack the local ordinance or law on discriminatory grounds. There's no reason to make it a misdemeanor for a school administrator while its an automatic felony for a student to commit the same violation.

Good point. In fact, it seems unconstitutional.

Is it too much to ask for common sense? that is what I mean when I support more gun control measures. I think we can have the best of both worlds if people in positions of authority would use common sense. the zero tolerance policy is really a good thing. It allows you to get rid of bad seeds for doing stupid sh_t these bad seeds were essentially going to get run off anyway. but when the kid in question is found to be in violation the person who overheard, the principal, the police any one of them could have easily told the kid to go take the gun home and come back and act like nothing happened, if asked you sharted and went to change underwear. don't mention the gun ever again. and like raptor said the kid should have been much more on the downlow. put a jacket or something over it and forget it. while honesty is to be commended, its not always the best policy. its a senseless situation and everybody is wrong.

He must be the only kid in the whole school without a cell phone. Making that call in public from a school phone was risky. Maybe the school does not allow cell phones either.

He had 4 choices. He took the 3rd option. the 4th option with rational people is doable, but not at that school.

1. Wait to the end of classes out and just drive home with it later hoping not to get caught.

2. Go home with it immediately and return to school tardy.

3. Call mama to come get his vehicle with the shotgun.

4. Go to the principal and disclose what he did By mistake.

Is it too much to ask for common sense? that is what I mean when I support more gun control measures. I think we can have the best of both worlds if people in positions of authority would use common sense. the zero tolerance policy is really a good thing. It allows you to get rid of bad seeds for doing stupid sh_t these bad seeds were essentially going to get run off anyway. but when the kid in question is found to be in violation the person who overheard, the principal, the police any one of them could have easily told the kid to go take the gun home and come back and act like nothing happened, if asked you sharted and went to change underwear. don't mention the gun ever again. and like raptor said the kid should have been much more on the downlow. put a jacket or something over it and forget it. while honesty is to be commended, its not always the best policy. its a senseless situation and everybody is wrong.

:hail:

Common sense is nowhere to be found in these cases. Over reactions will continue when over emotional administrators are worried more about the possibility of an issue instead of trying to resolve an issue on its face.

UPDATE:

School Board says Cole will be able to graduate but must finish up at an Alternative School. This article states that Liberty University has offered him a scholarship and I saw in another article that Harding University has as well.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-liberty-university-awards-scholarship-to-nc-high-school-student-arrested-on-gun-charge-20130502,0,3890512.story

UPDATE:

School Board says Cole will be able to graduate but must finish up at an Alternative School. This article states that Liberty University has offered him a scholarship and I saw in another article that Harding University has as well.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-liberty-university-awards-scholarship-to-nc-high-school-student-arrested-on-gun-charge-20130502,0,3890512.story

good, i guess.

Archived