Tina Deese out after 17 years as Softball coach

WarTiger

info from ITAT:

Auburn dismisses softball coach Tina Deese after 17 seasons; only coach in program's history

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn softball coach Tina Deesehas been dismissed after 17 seasons at the helm of the program she was hired to build from scratch in 1995. The Tigers added softball in 1996.

From that starting point, Deese made the NCAA Regionals nine times, and eight times in the past 10 seasons, but the Tigers fell to 30-23 and just 7-17 in the SEC this season, failing to capitalize on early wins over Florida and Alabama.

"I deeply appreciate Tina's many contributions to our program," Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said in a press release. "She started it from the ground up, and I will always appreciate her role in establishing a foundation for Auburn softball. I made this decision because I felt it was time to move in another direction."

Deese finishes her Auburn career with a record of 562-458-1, but she was 212-272 in SEC play.

Before she was hired at Auburn in 1995 to start the Tigers' program, she founded the Huntingdon program and led the Hawks for eight seasons, including seven straight winning seasons.

Deese offered a statement in Auburn's press release on her time on the Plains.

"I'm very fortunate to have had the opportunity to coach the Auburn softball program the last 17 seasons," Deese said. "I'm disappointed that I will not be there to lead the team moving forward, but would like to thank the players, coaches and support staff that have been part of the program since I arrived in 1995. I'm also very appreciative of the Auburn family, community and university during my tenure, and wish the program nothing but the best."

Another of those "take it to the next level" moves I guess. She did a great job to get the program off the ground at AU but probably will be good for AU to see a new coaching staff as we just never quite got over the hump with the SEC competition. 17 years is a long time these days to be in the same job and to keep the same energy and fire. Hope her accomplishments are recognized and she lands a good position elsewhere. Thanks Tina.

There's no reason whatsoever that AU softball can't compete with the top SEC schools. Just gotta get a solid coach that knows how to recruit all over the country.

They need to hire Van Studeman from Miss State ASAP. She would be a dynamite hire.

I don't know who "they" should hire. I do know we've watched UAT, UGA, UF and Tenn, to name just four, become national powers while Auburn has been stuck below the middle of the pack in the SEC for over ten years. The only reason "they" waited this long was that no group of AU fans cared enough to raise hell and bring about a change.

If you don't like seeing our baseball team stuck in the same rut, take note.

I don't keep up with baseball, but I really enjoy softball. I coached my daughter several years playing travel ball. We have been to numerous Auburn softball games. I have been thinking for some time, there needed to be a change. We have had some very good talent at all positions, but just didn't coach it very well.

Van is full of energy, an excellent coach and just a positive personality. My daughter attended 3 camps with her and just thinks she is awesome. We were excited when she got the job at Miss State, someone finally noticed her. Now, we have an opening at Auburn and she is the one for the job.

Van's sister, Les should be on the short list. Van and Les both played for Coach Deese while she was at Huntingdon.

Les has been the head coach of the UAH softball program since its inception in 1996, winning 803 games through the 2012 season. The Chargers have averaged more than 47 wins per year.

UAH has appeared in the GSC championship game 10 times, winning eight titles to lead the league.

UAH has earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament 15 times in 17 seasons (including 10 straight from 2003-2012), winning the South Region title four times (1999, 2001, 2009, and 2011). The Chargers have reached the championship game twice, losing to Lock Haven 8-0 in 2009 and losing to UC San Diego 10-3 in 2011.

One problem though, Her family are uat fans. Her dad was a manager for the football team under Coach Bryant.

When I saw Vann's name mentioned I thought immediately of Les. I was a senior in HS the one year Les coached at HTHS and I had a friend on the team. She loved playing for her and Les really got the best out of that team. I don't remember how far they went but they had a very successful season before taking over at UAH. She has over 800 wins at UAH and yes, I remember her being a big uat fan, but I bet she'd put that aside to be a coach in the SEC.

I heard on the radio this morning that USA's coach might be in the running for this position. It just baffled me when I heard that not only is Alabama the defending national softball champion, but UAB has been in the tournament the last 4 years, and also UAH and USA have fielded tournament teams. I have to wonder why has it taken AU this long to realize that Deese was not getting the job done---but at least someone finally did and hopefully a winning coach will be hired (I say that knowing that Jacobs will be doing the hiring) and our Lady Tiger softball team will start fielding some tournament-bound teams.

Joy Stephenson, Assistant AD, and Meredith Jenkins, Senior Associate AD and Women's Administrator, will interview and recommend candidates to the AD.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we take a look at the UAB coach?

No. And I doubt she would be interested. She is deeply entrenched in Birmingham and UAB.

Any real chance we might get Van ???

• 3 weeks later...

ASU softball coach Clint Myers considering offer from Auburn

By Tyler Killianazcentral sportsThu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 PM

Arizona State softball coach Clint Myers is contemplating leaving the program after being offered the same position at Auburn, a source close to the situation said Thursday.

Myers is expected to make a decision on the offer Friday.

Auburn parted with coach Tina Deese last month after leading the program since its inception in 1996, and rumors soon surfaced that the Tigers were interested in Myers, who just completed his eighth season at ASU.

Though Myers likely would command a hefty pay raise at Auburn, money is not expected to be the deciding factor. The source indicated that ASU is prepared to increase Myers’ salary, although it is not clear if it would match the offer made by Auburn.

Instead, Myers is deciding whether he wants to be closer to family members that live in Alabama.

Landing Myers would be a major coup for Auburn as well as the SEC, which is looking to challenge the Pac-12 for softball superiority. Alabama gave the SEC its first national championship in softball in 2012, and Tennessee was runner-up to champion Oklahoma this past season.

Myers has led ASU to the Women’s College World Series in seven of his eight seasons and has two national titles with the Sun Devils. They were eliminated after losing their first two games of the WCWS in 2013. He is 427-102 overall at the school.

Auburn did not qualify for the 64-team NCAA Tournament this past season after going 30-23, including 7-17 against the SEC.

Associate head coach Chuck D’Arcy is one possible candidate to replace Myers should he decide to leave. However, ASU likely would conduct a national search before choosing Myers’ successor.

Myers joined ASU in 2005, the first hire by then-Vice President for Athletics Lisa Love, who was fired in 2012.

Although Steve Patterson was involved in the hiring of football coach Todd Graham in late 2011, this would be his first major head-coaching hire at ASU.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20130613asu-softball-coach-clint-myers-considering-offer-from-auburn.html?nclick_check=1

This guy has 6 Jr. college softball national championships, 1 Jr. college baseball national championship and 2 D-1 Softball National Championships. Would be a major hire for AU softball.

Arizona State softball coach Clint Myers is contemplating leaving the program after being offered the same position at Auburn, a source close to the situation said Thursday.

Auburn parted with coach Tina Deese last month after leading the program since its inception in 1996, and rumors soon surfaced that the Tigers were interested in Myers, who just completed his eighth season at ASU.

Though Myers likely would command a hefty pay raise at Auburn, money is not expected to be the deciding factor. The source indicated that ASU is prepared to increase Myers’ salary, although it is not clear if it would match the offer made by Auburn.

Instead, Myers is deciding whether he wants to be closer to family members that live in Alabama.

Landing Myers would be a major coup for Auburn as well as the SEC, which is looking to challenge the Pac-12 for softball superiority. Alabama gave the SEC its first national championship in softball in 2012, and Tennessee was runner-up to champion Oklahoma this past season.

Myers has led ASU to the Women’s College World Series in seven of his eight seasons and has two national titles with the Sun Devils. They were eliminated after losing their first two games of the WCWS in 2013. He is 427-102 overall at the school.

Auburn did not qualify for the 64-team NCAA Tournament this past season after going 30-23, including 7-17 against the SEC.

Associate head coach Chuck D’Arcy is one possible candidate to replace Myers should he decide to leave. However, ASU likely would conduct a national search before choosing Myers’ successor.

Myers joined ASU in 2005, the first hire by then-Vice President for Athletics Lisa Love, who was fired in 2012.

Although Steve Patterson was involved in the hiring of football coach Todd Graham in late 2011, this would be his first major head-coaching hire at ASU.

http://www.azcentral...?nclick_check=1

This guy has 6 Jr. college softball national championships, 1 Jr. college baseball national championship and 2 D-1 Softball National Championships. Would be a major hire for AU softball.

HOLY CRAP! ASU is a big time softball school. If we pull off that hire then WOW!!...And this deserves it's own thread.

http://www.azcentral...?nclick_check=1

HOLY CRAP! ASU is a big time softball school. If we pull off that hire then WOW!!...And this deserves it's own thread.

Would be a major coup for us if the comes to happen. Please happen!

Archived