2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 5 (Tues, Aug 6)

RunInRed

9119756.jpeg

Gus Malzahn sets up his Wednesday scrimmage during Tuesday's practice

(Todd Van Emst photo)

Auburn will stage its first scrimmage of fall practice in the stadium Wednesday with a focus on finding a manageable rotation for quarterbacks Kiehl Frazier, Jonathan Wallace, Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson.

Do the quarterbacks understand that?

"They should," Malzahn said. "They’ve been told and I really believe they’ll be ready. There’s nothing better to evaluate a quarterback than a scrimmage situation. Some people find a way to raise their level and some people get a little nervous."

"I think they're somewhat similar. Each one of them has got strengths," Malzahn said. "I will tell you this: I think they're all four solid quarterbacks. I think that's the positive."

Malzahn said he'd use his patented hurry-up offense with the veterans. He'll slow it down for the rookies.

"There will be a little bit of pace with the older guys and the younger guys we'll slow down just a little bit so we can evaluate them," he said.

Malzahn's focus on the scrimmage was evident even in Tuesday's practice. He cut it short so everybody will be ready for the scrimmage.

"We just want to make sure everybody gets to the scrimmage somewhat fresh," Malzahn said. "It will be a big scrimmage for us, not only for players but with the coaches evaluating them.

http://www.auburntig.../080713aac.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, I saw (in the 20-min designated media viewing period):

JW playing RB, rather than QB...

KF playing RB, rather than QB...

NM playing RB, rather than QB...

JJ playing RB, rather than QB...

This can only mean one thing!!!!

That the QB's needed to practice the zone read handoff and the RBs were busy with another drill so the QBs handed off to eachother...

I think practicing both ends of the handoff might help them get a better feel for it.

Coaches have stressed the importance of these scrimmages to the players and how it is their chance to show the coaches how they can contribute to the team during the season.

“They’ve been telling us tomorrow is just like an NFL preseason game one,” defensive end Craig Sanders said. “During the scrimmages you’ve got to show out, because they are going to start evaluating us to determine who is going to be on scout team and who is not going to be on scout team.”

Read more:The Auburn Plainsman - Practice Day 5 Coaches hoping players will stand out during first scrimmage

I love JW. Love the line vid where he was out in front amping everyone up as they came back, and then gave the flyin chest bump to Ricardo Louis...and then, if you notice, he was the last person in the line. First in, cover everyone's butt, and last out. You can't buy that kind of leadership. He's got coach written all over him. I'd not be heartbroken if he ended up the starter, if for nothing else than spark.

Ah yes. If all the QBs are playing RB now... that can mean only one thing. The ole switcharoo. RBs were probly off working on their accuracy. We are in for a fun one folks. :D

Anyone else kinda feel like a drug addict when it comes to football this time of year?

"Man, I just need to get my fix man, I just need to see the QBs throw passes man... I NEED to see that scrimmage... Common coach, give us a little more to work with..."

Sammie Coates looking like a beast ready to see him have a breakout year this season.

I was thinking the same thing. Dude has some guns on him for being a WR.

I also like what I am seeing in the level of coaching. Looks like all the coaches are marching with Gus's ideas on coaching the basics and the little things. The little things amount to big things and win ball games. Watch CG making sure that their feet position is just right. Watching the defense on making sure alignment is right. Six inchs off may not seem like much, but could be the diference in a play going all the way or not. JMHO.

Way back when, our coach used to always say "Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves."

aupractice5411jpg-6b79797dc993923a.jpg

Quarterbacks Jonathan Wallace (12) and Kiehl Frazier (10)

(Brandon Marcello/bmarcello@al.com)

http://www.al.com/au...se_special.html

The QBs are having fun!

REALLY liked the video where all the QBs have been directed to start acting like leaders and going through the ranks and pumping folks up. That's a very good idea, hope it continues.

The QBs having fun is good to see. I think the whole team will have a lot of fun this year. Gus' offense can be a very fun offense to run...lots of points...lots of people touching the football...creates lots of confusion and fatigue on the D side, which is always fun to see when you are lining up for the next play and you hear the opposing team arguing with each other about responsibilities, see them breathing hard, etc. This will be a fun year. We will lose a few, but we will have fun, the players and the fans.

aupractice5411jpg-6b79797dc993923a.jpg

Quarterbacks Jonathan Wallace (12) and Kiehl Frazier (10)

(Brandon Marcello/bmarcello@al.com)

http://www.al.com/au...se_special.html

The QBs are having fun!

REALLY liked the video where all the QBs have been directed to start acting like leaders and going through the ranks and pumping folks up. That's a very good idea, hope it continues.

The QBs having fun is good to see. I think the whole team will have a lot of fun this year. Gus' offense can be a very fun offense to run...lots of points...lots of people touching the football...creates lots of confusion and fatigue on the D side, which is always fun to see when you are lining up for the next play and you hear the opposing team arguing with each other about responsibilities, see them breathing hard, etc. This will be a fun year. We will lose a few, but we will have fun, the players and the fans.

+1 that was one of Cams biggest contributions to the team, motivation. The whole team...and us fans, fed off of his energy.

Remember that classic Dameyune Craig moment in the SEC championship vs the Vols where he got in the face of the OL after our procedure penalty during a critical part of that 1 pt loss? Shrinking violet he ain't and that will no doubt trickle down to these QBs.

Re "Punt returners were Reed, Bray, Stevens, C Davis, M Davis"...

Stevens would be one of the tallest punt returners I've ever heard of.

Remember that classic Dameyune Craig moment in the SEC championship vs the Vols where he got in the face of the OL after our procedure penalty during a critical part of that 1 pt loss? Shrinking violet he ain't and that will no doubt trickle down to these QBs.

Re "Punt returners were Reed, Bray, Stevens, C Davis, M Davis"...

Stevens would be one of the tallest punt returners I've ever heard of.

If he can catch the ball, and isn't looking to fair catch every time, then put him back there!!! Got really tired of seeing fair catches and/or fumbles the last few years.

Sorry if it has been posted but I have heard good things about all the QBs, especially NM, JJ, and KF. Apparently KF is really coming on.

Sorry if it has been posted but I have heard good things about all the QBs, especially NM, JJ, and KF. Apparently KF is really coming on.

:o im pulling for KF. Thanks for the update

:o/> im pulling for KF. Thanks for the update

If we could get the Frazier we saw in his high school highlights, that'd be ideal

Big time news there. I'm pulling for whichever QB plays the best to win the spot, but I think KF could have the highest ceiling out of all the QB's we have. I realize that's hard to quantify and he has yet to really show anything positive on the field, but count me as one who'd love to see him succeed. Regardless of who ultimately wins the spot, it's good to hear that they're doing well and one guy won't just win by default.

For the sake of getting Jeremy Johnson on the field as soon as possible, I hope Nick or Kiehl gets the nod. That leaves JJ with up to 3 years to start...

Can you elaborate more on what you heard?

From some of PMs remarks and practice reports I have been starting to wonder if Wallace was an early leader.

Since we are going to full contact as of today, we will begin to get some QB separation. We have the classic matchup. The QB who "might" not know the offense as well but is "probably" more talented vs the QB who "likely" knows the offense better but "might" be less talented. In about a week or less, we will know the winner imo.

NICK "THE SLASHER" MARSHALL vs KIEHL "THE BRUISER" FRAZIER

Battle of the Century- Closed Cage Match- Two Men enter One Man Leaves

I've got to be honest. I love Jonathan Wallace. I'm not exactly sold on him as the starter at QB mainly because I think we have more athletic options there, HOWEVER, I would not be sad if he starts and I would be EXTREMELY happy if he stepped into a Kodi Burns role for this team.

Can you elaborate more on what you heard?

From some of PMs remarks and practice reports I have been starting to wonder if Wallace was an early leader.

Not really. Gus is keeping everything tighter as far as team info than it has ever been at Auburn the past 15 years. For example I may not be able to get anything after the scrimmage.Generalized statements is about all I can do to not get people upset or lose my contacts.

Archived