2013 Fall Camp - Practice 13--Scrimmage & 14 (Tue, Aug 13)

RunInRed

The Tigers scrimmaged in JHS this morning ...

Rhett Lashlee

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee is here. Said Wallace, Marshall and Johnson all took QB reps today at the stadium practice

Lashlee: Auburn worked on some 7-on-7 and some situational drills today. Then "put the ball down" for some of the younger guys to evaluate

Lashlee: I don't think there's any part of the offense we couldn't run with one or the other, Marshall or Johnson

Lashlee said ball security for the quarterbacks has been good. They work on it every day. "We're always stressing it," he said

Lashlee on Marshall: He's an older guy. He's played in this league before (CB at Georgia in 2011) & played QB at JUCO. Experience cant hurt

Lashlee on QB race: It all comes back to who earns the respect of their teammates, who can play the best in the system, who can help win

Specifically on possibility of playing Johnson, a freshman, Lashlee says you look at who can handle it when things go bad as well as good

Lashlee on Johnathan Wallace: He's a winner. He's been the perfect team player. Told him, we know what you can do, you're not out of it

Lashlee on pace of the offense: We have one tempo. Said he couldn't answer how fast it would be, but he wants them to play fast as possible

Lashlee on pace: We want to make practice almost unrealistic. Wants his offense to go faster than they ever would in a game.

Lashlee said RB Peyton Barber had a good day today. Got a lot of carries and "he was really tough."

@szvetitz

Lashlee said the team held some of the older guys out on Tuesday. "It was no means a full scrimmage compared to the first two."

Lashlee: "I don't know if I've been any more proud of any young man I've coached more than Kiehl Frazier."

@TheAUPlainsman

Lashlee on QBs: "It was a good day" ... Worked on blitz pick-up situation more than normal practice.

Lashlee said they're not running plays any differently dependent on who's in the game. They're all "pretty similar" Lashlee said.

Ford and Corey Grant "bring a lot of the same things" to offense. Both fast, with Grant just a little bigger at the moment.

Lashlee doesn't discount Kiehl Frazier potentially playing at receiver at some point. Not happening right now, but a possibility.

@wareagleextra

Lashlee says the scrimmage was shorter today than the first two

Lashlee: "We don't have a day but the quicker you can decide" the better

Lashlee say the WRs are starting to separate, Tony Stevens needs more reps after hamstring

Lashlee says he's confident in 3-4 guys to snap ball behind Reese

Lashlee mentions Marcus Davis and Johnathan Ford as offensive freshman standouts

Lashlee unable to address health of Dee Ford ...deferred to coach Malzahn

@JamesCrepea

Lashlee said for the most part all of the quarterbacks have protected the ball well

@ITATJason

Nick Marshall had 25 turnovers in juco, but doing well in Auburn camp. Lashlee: No turnovers when QBs live in scrimmage last week.

Lashlee on QB competition: "The quicker you can decide, then the quicker you can move on to your opponent." No timetable, though.

Lashlee on poss. of a true frosh (Johnson) starting: "You're always going to be a little anxious, I'll say, to see how they respond."

@bmarcello

OC Rhett Lashlee makes it clear that Jonathan Wallace is still in the race at quarterback.

@PMARSHONAU

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our insiders on here have made it clear Wallace was out of the race. Are Rhett's comments about him clearly still being in the race just coach speak to try and keep him from tranferring and to keep Wallace's morale up?

Our insiders on here have made it clear Wallace was out of the race. Are Rhett's comments about him clearly still being in the race just coach speak to try and keep him from tranferring and to keep Wallace's morale up?

It could be coach speak, but why would Wallace transfer? He was a last minute signee that got a chance to compete at Auburn for the starting job, which is probably what he was told when he signed. Wallace could have gone to a smaller school right out of HS, but chose Auburn instead. I think he truly wanted to be at AU so if he isn't named the starter, I expect him to take it like a champ and be the backup or #3 guy.

Lashlee says he's confident in 3-4 guys to snap ball behind Reese

That makes me feel better about our depth at center.

Center Reese Dismukes said there is more confidence and comfort on the offensive line than any time since he's been at Auburn. He's headed into his third season as the starter.

http://www.auburntig...arshalllaw.html

Kinda wierd Johnson and Marshall were supposed to get reps with the "1s" but now we are hearing that a lot of the older guys were held out. Almost makes you wonder if they're competing for the #2 QB spot...but that doesn't quite add up. Good to hear about Ford and Davis impressing early!

Really excited about Sammy. He can stretch the field vertically and can be a big play receiver. Small town guy with big play potential.

Really excited about Sammy. He can stretch the field vertically and can be a big play receiver. Small town guy with big play potential.

It will be nice if he can learn to consistently catch though.

I get the feeling we snuck one by them in regards to Stevens! He may be thr WR we have been needing and with his pal Walker, Coates, Louis and Reed will give us a solid group to add to Bray, Davis and Co. at Slot.

I get the feeling we snuck one by them in regards to Stevens! He may be thr WR we have been needing and with his pal Walker, Coates, Louis and Reed will give us a solid group to add to Bray, Davis and Co. at Slot.

With all those weapons no reason our passing game shouldn't be in the top of the SEC. We knew we could depend on Blake to catch consistently and get open so he was often featured in a lot of plays but with this group i hope we can just dial up plays and whoever gets open...gets the ball. We have a lot of weapons at WR. Guys just need to step up and be consistent. I say we throw as many WRs at the defense as we can.

Dang, great presser by lashlee. He doesn't come across as young as he is. Count me impressed.

I thought he was impressive with his quick answers and his control and eye contact. Very good interview.

Does anybody else get the impression from Lashlee like he knows he is sitting on a gold mine of talent that is waiting to be tapped? I think Lashlee and CGM know they have an offense that could be explosive and are trying to hold back from being giddy.

I say we throw as many WRs at the defense as we can.

The old Dan Marino, Miami Dolphins school of thought.

With all those weapons no reason our passing game shouldn't be in the top of the SEC. We knew we could depend on Blake to catch consistently and get open so he was often featured in a lot of plays but with this group i hope we can just dial up plays and whoever gets open...gets the ball. We have a lot of weapons at WR. Guys just need to step up and be consistent. I say we throw as many WRs at the defense as we can.

Much of the problem last season was a very poor offensive scheme that took way too long to develop. This led to allowing pressure to get to the quarterback consistently and caused them to start focusing on one particular player to simply get rid of the ball. Blitz pickups were as poor as I have ever noticed at the collegiate level. A quarterback can not be expected to go through his reads and perform consistently if they are made a target by the offensive scheme in general, especially inexperienced quarterbacks.

Ball distribution will get much better simply from a much better architected offensive scheme. The offensive line was not as bad as some have made out last season. Much of the problem was in the very design of the scheme.

Archived