AU Basketball Has Tough Schedule

Proud Tiger

Considering the state of SEC basketball it seems that "brutal" and "SEC basketball" don't belong in the same sentence.

As for TB and Auburn, looks to me that this is the best team he has had available at the start of a season since he arrived...plus he has some pre-season games that should tell him (and us) what we can look forward to. Hoping for the best......

Considering the state of SEC basketball it seems that "brutal" and "SEC basketball" don't belong in the same sentence.

As for TB and Auburn, looks to me that this is the best team he has had available at the start of a season since he arrived...plus he has some pre-season games that should tell him (and us) what we can look forward to. Hoping for the best......

I wish I shared your optimism. Returning role players Payne and Denson aren't as promising as senior starters Chubb and Sullivan were last year. Harrell is in the exact same spot that Johnson was in two years ago and Johnson didn't do anything for us. We don't have a point guard with one minute of SEC experience. I have no optimism about the '13/'14 season, except that we should be rid of Barbee after it's over.

I was still a strong supporter of Barbee through last season. When he failed to hold his freshman class together (three of four are gone) he lost me. Now all I want is him out of here.

M....don't know that you could necessarily classify me as optimistic ....but I'm always hopeful. :)

I wish I shared your optimism. Returning role players Payne and Denson aren't as promising as senior starters Chubb and Sullivan were last year. Harrell is in the exact same spot that Johnson was in two years ago and Johnson didn't do anything for us. We don't have a point guard with one minute of SEC experience. I have no optimism about the '13/'14 season, except that we should be rid of Barbee after it's over.

I was still a strong supporter of Barbee through last season. When he failed to hold his freshman class together (three of four are gone) he lost me. Now all I want is him out of here.

Your crazy if you take Chubb and Sullivan over Denson and Payne. Chubb was AWFUL and Sullivan struggled late. Not trying to say we'll be good by any means but better

Because Johnson "didn't do anything for us" this means Harrell won't either?

I'd also take Denson/Payne over Chubb/Frankie. Heck I'd take just Denson over those guys. If we have a good year, Denson will have played a major role.

Y'all are missing the point. Pre-season last year nobody knew that whatever happened to Sullivan would happen (Mental?) or that Chubb would not have at least a solid senior season. There was every reason to think, one year ago, that Sullivan and Chubb would give us more than Denson and Payne will this year.

They didn't, and there's just as much chance that Denson and Payne won't either. Barbee's pattern of non-player development is becoming obvious. For example, Frankie Sullivan was a better player as a freshman than he was as a senior. Since Denson and Payne were not significantly better as juniors than they were as freshmen, I see no reason to expect them to be any better next season.

I agree with Mikey, this is a Barbee farewell tour. But the good news is you do not need to buy season tickets, you can go down to the arena five minutes before tip, pick up a few tickets for $5 and go sit in the good seats and watch some pretty good teams that will be coming to town. :Sing:

• 3 weeks later...

If he didn't get fired for the two worst seasons in the history of AU basketball (back to back no less) then it seems clear to me that he is going to be given time to fix his own mess. He has an assistant doing work now (Miller) in recruiting. Not sure what happens when he moves on but for now they have our AD thinking everything is heading on the right path. The usual preseason hype about certain players being future stars will be stronger than ever this year and casual fans will accept that hype as progress. Three conference wins last season is not hard to improve on and that is what he will be judged on. I don't think he even has to bat 500. I am guessing if Barbee wins 8 or more conference games he keeps his job.

I am like so many. I wanted Barbee to do good I thought it was a great hire. I have slowly changed my opinion. He either doesn't relate well to players once he signs them or he has had an unbeleivable amount of bad luck. I think the Bahamas trip was sent from heaven. We had new players get PT before they normally would, the trip seemed a good way for the players to bond and they seemed to have developed some chemistry. There is a chance they are decent this year if so Barbee will get one more year.

I am hoping we have turned a corner but I wouldn't bet on it.

• 1 month later...

I would say give Barbee one more year if AU wins 8 or more conference games. Just don't think it will happen. Players just don't seem to respond to him and the program appears to be regressing. I thought it was a great hire at the time but now......

Auburn was picked #14 in the SEC by the media at SEC Basketball Media Days. Not that the media knows anything but still not good.

That's exactly where I'd pick us. Last. One thing everybody looks at is the number of returning players and they don't return under Barbee, they transfer out instead.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'm not totally up on every team in the league I suppose, but I can't imagine there'd be anyone I'd pick us to finish ahead of at this point. Surely though after our two worst seasons ever, we've hit bottom and will rise a least a tad bit. Right? Wishful thinking maybe? I dunno. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am like so many. I wanted Barbee to do good I thought it was a great hire. I have slowly changed my opinion. He either doesn't relate well to players once he signs them or he has had an unbeleivable amount of bad luck. I think the Bahamas trip was sent from heaven. We had new players get PT before they normally would, the trip seemed a good way for the players to bond and they seemed to have developed some chemistry. There is a chance they are decent this year if so Barbee will get one more year.

I am hoping we have turned a corner but I wouldn't bet on it.

I never thought he was a great hire. The O he brings to a program will not work here until after some sort of program is built. The Dribble Drive O only works at places like UK because of the talent (where just about any O would work). We need more of a motion, work to get open, maybe even Princeton like O due to our inability to recruit. After we get off the ground and can recruit, then maybe we can get a next tier guy, but at that point why?

Archived