DL and OL

lala

Our recruiting in the backfields, both sides has been solid, even though I wanted another big time receiver. A question with the line recruiting on both sides. We did excellent on the DL last yr and OL two yrs ago but to me that is something we need every year. Obviously that is the key to making this kind of run and being consistent. I love our guys, but not near as flashy as last year and JC is only short term.

Is their a certain philosophy with lineman recruiting that I am missing. Shouldn't this be a big year for OL recruiting for us for depth and getting fresh studs in? Is this a down year for those positions?

The OL will be jr's and sr's next yr correct. That means you r bringing in freshmen to replace sr with no one leaving early.

The OL will be jr's and sr's next yr correct. That means you r bringing in freshmen to replace sr with no one leaving early.

Mostly incorrect. The lions share of OL will be Sophs next year.

Reese- Sr

Tunde-Sr

Adams-RS Soph

Callahan-RS Soph

Robinson-RS Junior (expected to go pro)

Diamond-RS Soph

Coleman-RS Soph

Miller-Jr

Danzy-RS Soph

Mix- RS Fr.

Slade-Sr.

AY-RS Soph

Kozan-RS Soph

Leff-RS Soph

Dampeer-Jr.

3 Seniors (2 starter)

3 Juniors (2 starters but 1 expected to leave)

8 Sophomores (2 starters)

1 Freshman

Here's my esteemed (please laugh) philosophy regarding recruiting O & D linemen: Proportionately you need more player on the roster than any other position.

The reason why is that true freshmen or RS freshmen are rarely successful and when they are successful they generally have upperclassmen playing around them. Put another way, when you send an 18 or 19 yearold boy out to do battle with a 21 or 22 year old man, you are going to lose.

Compare Auburns OL play of 2010 with 2011 and 12. In 2010 the OL had a combine 153 starts and was a strength of the team. In '11 & '12 the QB' position was a revolving door because of injuries as they wereconstantly running for their lives. Ever Greg Robinson struggled last year.

The DL is the same song, next verse. In '10 we lost 3 very productive Sr's and in '11 our hope rested mainly on second year Whitaker and true freshmen Wright and Blackson. While individually I think all of these young men are great players and I'm glad they cast their lot with us, the position they were put in was unfair to both them and the team.

This year I applaud the staff for what they’ve done on the DL and hope we can add at least one more OL the group.

Here's my esteemed (please laugh) philosophy regarding recruiting O & D linemen: Proportionately you need more player on the roster than any other position.

The reason why is that true freshmen or RS freshmen are rarely successful and when they are successful they generally have upperclassmen playing around them. Put another way, when you send an 18 or 19 yearold boy out to do battle with a 21 or 22 year old man, you are going to lose.

Compare Auburns OL play of 2010 with 2011 and 12. In 2010 the OL had a combine 153 starts and was a strength of the team. In '11 & '12 the QB' position was a revolving door because of injuries as they wereconstantly running for their lives. Ever Greg Robinson struggled last year.

The DL is the same song, next verse. In '10 we lost 3 very productive Sr's and in '11 our hope rested mainly on second year Whitaker and true freshmen Wright and Blackson. While individually I think all of these young men are great players and I'm glad they cast their lot with us, the position they were put in was unfair to both them and the team.

This year I applaud the staff for what they’ve done on the DL and hope we can add at least one more OL the group.

I agree .You don't wait until you need O&D-linemen to recruit them.You stock pile them for when you do need them.These players are the heart of the program.

Mostly incorrect. The lions share of OL will be Sophs next year.

Reese- Sr

Tunde-Sr

Adams-RS Soph

Callahan-RS Soph

Robinson-RS Junior (expected to go pro)

Diamond-RS Soph

Coleman-RS Soph

Miller-Jr

Danzy-RS Soph

Mix- RS Fr.

Slade-Sr.

AY-RS Soph

Kozan-RS Soph

Leff-RS Soph

Dampeer-Jr.

3 Seniors (2 starter)

3 Juniors (2 starters but 1 expected to leave)

8 Sophomores (2 starters)

1 Freshman

Most sources say Tunde will graduate and move on (to Med school)?

Fariyike is gone. Yes.

This isn't really the year we need OL. Let's assume Robinson goes pro and Dismukes stays (either of those assumptions could be wrong). You're likely looking at So/So/Sr/Sr/So in the starting lineup (left to right) with Miller (Jr) as the primary OT backup, Danzy and Diamond as the primary interior backups.

That's still a pretty young group. Next season is where you'll need bodies because you want to have two full years of seasoning before you really need those guys to play (even if some of them break into the lineup ahead of schedule).

We may not need many O-linemen ,but if we can one or two 5 star guys I say get them.

You know one thing that I believe is a neglected point in this debate is that it is vital to have cohesion in these two groups. I'm an advocate of recruiting the Offensive Line and Defensive Line in waves and using the "in-between" years in recruiting to fill the gaps that form due to attrition. Having a large group of guys recruited together, in the same class, learning from there predecessors together, forming a brotherhood while playing together 3+ years, goes a very long way. You become a unit in that regard.

In regards to your comment on cohesion that is why I like to spread it out as it is easier to plug 1 or 2. Otherwise you are starting over every 2/3 yrs. I do think much of our success is a direct result of the line play and we need to keep it consistent.

No school can sign unlimited numbers of players. With the annual limit of 25 signees and overall limit of 85 on scholarship, priorities must be set. Auburn has dire recruiting needs at safety, CB and linebacker. With a very healthy number of returning players on the O-line we simply cannot afford to sign 4 or 5 O-line guys this year. There are other positions that are in much greater need.

As others have noted above, next year will be plenty of time to address restocking the O-line.

As I understand, we will take 1-3 depending on who we can get. We are good for a couple of years but next year we will sign 3-5 I believe. Next years O-line class is supposed to be deeper than this year. Dismukes is staying and Tunde will be our only loss this year.

You r correct mikey. We struggled so long getting lb's and db's because of our x state rival so it is nice seeing us pick it up there.

Auclong, that was part of my question if this was just not a good yr. It will be good when we are back in the position to get 2-3 select guys every yr.

We lose two Tunde and GRob and I wouldn't be too surprised if 1 or 2 might consider a transfer. Hope not but everyone has to look out for his future. Attrition is something I'm sure this staff is always on top of.

There could be a "Surprise" transfer in for the OL.

Is this from a pretty reliable source? Would it be someone who considered Auburn but signed elsewhere and now realizes he made a mistake? Interesting.......

Is this from a pretty reliable source? Would it be someone who considered Auburn but signed elsewhere and now realizes he made a mistake? Interesting.......

Yes

Yes

Okay. Is it a person, place or thing? (I love 20 questions!)

Would the player be required to sit out one year or would their release be unrestricted?

Yes

Would the player be required to sit out one year or would their release be unrestricted?

There is no such thing as an unrestricted release. Release or not, a player transferring from one D-1 school to another must sit out a year. The only exception being a hardship such as was granted to Prosch. Those aren't passed out willi-nilly, there has to be a serious situation.

The one thing that I like about where we are right now is that we can be really selective on who we take on the offensive line. Here is our opportunity to get talented players in the system and develop them before they are needed..

Yes

There is no such thing as an unrestricted release. Release or not, a player transferring from one D-1 school to another must sit out a year. The only exception being a hardship such as was granted to Prosch. Those aren't passed out willi-nilly, there has to be a serious situation.

But if the said player redshirted at a school this past year, they could transfer and be able to play Day 1, correct?

Yes

Is this a clue ? :ut:;D

Archived