***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

But they say Lashlee is dead weight can't recruit...etc. All I know is Gus and Rhett have always excelled when they have had a good QB. I have no opinion if he stays or goes but I do believe he is an asset to the program and not some check collector as some have said.

From gatewood to stidham being so tight with lashlee seems like Rhett is doing his part in building relationships and being tight with these QB recruits but Gus cannot seal the deal. Gatewood is committed mainly because of Rhett. Gus is like a frickin anchor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Because Jeff believes we need  a DT QB to be successful.  Stidham is really good but a DT QB he isnt.

A true dual threat QB is more desired yes. I do think Stidham could be successful for us though since he does have a deep ball and he is accurate. Putting a track star back there isn't going to cut it for sure. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

A true dual threat QB is more desired yes. I do think Stidham could be successful for us though since he does have a deep ball and he is accurate. Putting a track star back there isn't going to cut it for sure. 

He does not have lamar jackson or nick marshall speed I will admit but He has trevor Knight athleticism which is pretty dang good when it comes to running ability I would say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well he is clearly not healthy so should that not make you want stidham more then?

You can infer that if you would like to. Not saying that is right or wrong. Just saying if both were healthy, I'd choose Lowell.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He does not have lamar jackson or nick marshall speed I will admit but He has trevor Knight athleticism which is pretty dang good when it comes to running ability I would say.

The best part about getting Stidham is we wouldn't have to worry about such a gigantic QB quality gap if he was to sign and get injured. Sean would be a capable backup. :jossun:

• Like 5

Just now, aujeff11 said:

The best part about getting Stidham is we wouldn't have to worry about such a gigantic QB quality gap if he was to sign and get injured. Sean would be a capable backup. :jossun:

Something we have NEVER had under gustav as a head coach or OC. Would be PROGRESS. O and btw Joey G is the true DT ELITE runner you are looking for. If we can just hang on to him you will get your wish. Him not being the full time starter is working in our favor IMO. A lot of teams just do not have the tape on him so they are not pushing as much for him like a guy with his talent otherwise would.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You can infer that if you would like to. Not saying that is right or wrong. Just saying if both were healthy, I'd choose Lowell.

yWe have had bad luck more than bad recruiting.  JJ was considered a very good recruit and when he was backing up Nick we all thought he was a good recruit. We recruited SW and he has shown he is a good QB but has had injury issues. Queen was no slacker as a recruit but got hurt twice, Barrett is a good recruit but it will take time to develop and we picked up JF3 who hasn't worked out.

Were there other guys we wanted more and didn't get, yes but the guys we got were good QB's on paper and based on not just Auburn's analyses but other teams analyses. We seem to bring in a good solid QB every year but other than SW the others have not worked out yet. If JF3 couldn't get PT in 2nd half against Georgia he is not going to get PT next year. I have no idea if Queen's shoulder will ever get healthy and if he will have a chance to play and I am hoping that Woody has used this year to learn our system so that we have more options next year.  Do I want another quality QB in this class of course as we have seen this year despite the number of QB's on the roster at this time we only have one who has shown he is a SEC QB and he is hurt.

I am glad that we will be Red shirting Woody and that will give him 4 years to play and he will add the DT capability to our offense even if only off the bench next year if SW is healthy and is able to win the QB battle next year. If he has improved enough and can win the job having SW as a healthy backup is pretty good also.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Not saying you are wrong but I would take Stidham as he has shown he can do it at the college level and Lowell has not. played at the college level yet.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

yWe have had bad luck more than bad recruiting.  JJ was considered a very good recruit and when he was backing up Nick we all thought he was a good recruit. We recruited SW and he has shown he is a good QB but has had injury issues. Queen was no slacker as a recruit but got hurt twice, Barrett is a good recruit but it will take time to develop and we picked up JF3 who hasn't worked out.

Were there other guys we wanted more and didn't get, yes but the guys we got were good QB's on paper and based on not just Auburn's analyses but other teams analyses. We seem to bring in a good solid QB every year but other than SW the others have not worked out yet. If JF3 couldn't get PT in 2nd half against Georgia he is not going to get PT next year. I have no idea if Queen's shoulder will ever get healthy and if he will have a chance to play and I am hoping that Woody has used this year to learn our system so that we have more options next year.  Do I want another quality QB in this class of course as we have seen this year despite the number of QB's on the roster at this time we only have one who has shown he is a SEC QB and he is hurt.

I am glad that we will be Red shirting Woody and that will give him 4 years to play and he will add the DT capability to our offense even if only off the bench next year if SW is healthy and is able to win the QB battle next year. If he has improved enough and can win the job having SW as a healthy backup is pretty good also.

Not saying you are wrong but I would take Stidham as he has shown he can do it at the college level and Lowell has not. played at the college level yet.

Plus I figure Lowell is gone and not worth worrying about at this point...or is he back in play...?

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Plus I figure Lowell is gone and not worth worrying about at this point...or is he back in play...?

I think he is gone. Lsu higher ranked QB commit  just dropped LSU. I think O is really serious about using the DT QB and not getting all these pocket passers types anymore. 

Edited by GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Something we have NEVER had under gustav as a head coach or OC. Would be PROGRESS. O and btw Joey G is the true DT ELITE runner you are looking for. If we can just hang on to him you will get your wish. Him not being the full time starter is working in our favor IMO. A lot of teams just do not have the tape on him so they are not pushing as much for him like a guy with his talent otherwise would.

Joey G could def become an elite "pick your poison" QB but his passing probably needs work on the side since he isn't a full time starter. I am very hopeful he sticks with Auburn though. I've been waiting for him well over a year already so I'll be pissed if he ditches.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Joey G could def become an elite "pick your poison" QB but his passing probably needs work on the side since he isn't a full time starter. I am very hopeful he sticks with Auburn though. I've been waiting for him well over a year already so I'll be pissed if he ditches.

I rather have Stidham a guy who is a really good passer and can run good enough than the guy who is a elite runner and can throw good enough to keep the defense honest. I think Stidham is the closest to the best of both worlds that we can get. Joey G coach is doing a disservice to him imo not playing him full time at QB. When he actually plays the position he shreds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I rather have Stidham a guy who is a really good passer and can run good enough than the guy who is a elite runner and can throw good enough to keep the defense honest. I think Stidham is the closest to the best of both worlds that we can get. Joey G coach is doing a disservice to him imo not playing him full time at QB. When he actually plays the position he shreds.

Plus you have two guys who are two classes apart I believe.... so just thinking that JG should not use a Stidham commitment as a deterrent to playing at AU when he is ready. Considering what I read as accurate, JG is not going to come to  AU and start as a freshman....and people in the discussion about JG seem to be forgetting Woody who seems to also have good potential.    JMO but the real issue is who plays next year...and maybe the year after. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Plus you have two guys who are two classes apart I believe.... so just thinking that JG should not use a Stidham commitment as a deterrent to playing at AU when he is ready. Considering what I read as accurate, JG is not going to come to  AU and start as a freshman....and people in the discussion about JG seem to be forgetting Woody who seems to also have good potential.    JMO but the real issue is who plays next year...and maybe the year after. 

Absolutely agree! If we get stidham it will almost certainly be him and be the perfect bridge.

We do well with bridges (Cam and Nick) lol. Not so good with building from Lashlee Legos (JJ, KF, etc..).

Anyway, it is amazing how we THINK Barrett will eventually perform or how Gatewood will perform. But we have NO clue. QBing is such a crap shoot. Unless the QB is top 50 over even top 25, a team doesnt know if their QB will excel to such an elite level to put your team into championships. 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We do well with bridges (Cam and Nick) lol. Not so good with building from Lashlee Legos (JJ, KF, etc..).

Anyway, it is amazing how we THINK Barrett will eventually perform or how Gatewood will perform. But we have NO clue. QBing is such a crap shoot. Unless the QB is top 50 over even top 25, a team doesnt know if their QB will excel to such an elite level to put your team into championships. 

Gatewood is 5 star. A gifted one at that. 

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Agree to disagree. Do you have his Baylor highlights? Can't seem to find any. 

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Probably worse than that...top 50 QBs have a pretty good "failure" rate and our best two QBs based on team performance were neither considered elite before they got here is the number of schools seeking their services is any indication.  Just saying that for the most part, no matter how high a guy is ranked, it's still a crapshoot as to how he turns out.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/2013-football-recruiting-rankings-quarterbacks

Look at the class of 2013 and note how few are top QBs now...some/many are playing but only a couple have starred ....and whoops....there is JJ in the list at #15. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood is 5 star. A gifted one at that. 

agree, but raw in the passing department. That lies the tough part. Getting these guys in, teaching them how to QB at the college level, and not knowing if they have the 'IT' factor that the very good QBs have or show as they play. 

And we always need one of the top 50 if we are going to have a chance for championships. I'll be glad when he signs. It seems like we have been recruiting him since he was 10. ))

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

What are all you Lashlee haters gonna do now? If we lose RL that decreases our chances to land Stidham.

The upside is that Stidham may be good enough to make up for the play calling/scheme deficiencies and get Lashlee an even better offer after next season.  The other side of the coin is getting a new OC could fix the problems we have well enough that we don't need Stidham (especially if Woody steps up).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

agree, but raw in the passing department. That lies the tough part. Getting these guys in, teaching them how to QB at the college level, and not knowing if they have the 'IT' factor that the very good QBs have or show as they play. 

And we always need one of the top 50 if we are going to have a chance for championships. I'll be glad when he signs. It seems like we have been recruiting him since he was 10. ))

Rivals has him as a 4* but that's irrelevant IMO....look at 2014 and only one 5* and SW is ranked #6 pro style.   I'm just saying...complain about talent spotting or development but virtually all of those guys who are still playing  are pretty ordinary if team results mean anything. 

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If his passing improves( which it's not bad already..look at the highlight), I'm guessing he will be a monster. Everything looks easy for him. Even returning kicks and catching the ball.

http://www.hudl.com/v/11As0b

Edited by aujeff11

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Because Jeff believes we need  a DT QB to be successful.  Stidham is really good but a DT QB he isnt.

You need to let every single recruiting service who has him as a top 5 DT-QB know that then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You need to let every single recruiting service who has him as a top 5 DT-QB know that then. 

So would you say Trevor Knight is a dual threat qb? Because as Bird said above they pretty much have the same ability to run. There is a bi difference between being a dual threat qb and having the ability to run when needed. 

And I will add to that the fact that if J'S does come to Auburn the offense he will run will look much more like a Sean White offense than a Nick Marshall offense. 

Edited by thaitopher

10 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

So would you say Trevor Knight is a dual threat qb? Because as Bird said above they pretty much have the same ability to run. There is a bi difference between being a dual threat qb and having the ability to run when needed. 

And I will add to that the fact that if J'S does come to Auburn the offense he will run will look much more like a Sean White offense than a Nick Marshall offense. 

Trevor Knight is not a DT-QB. He absolutely has to RUN to be successful. JS is the epitome of a DT-QB because he passes so well that he doesn't necessarily have to run. However, he can beat you with the run. Russel Wilson is a DT-QB, He barely has 150 yards rushing this season. That doesn't take away the fact that he could kill you with his legs, he just doesn't have to because he is a killer in the pocket as well. You can't compare SW to an NM run offense. NM HAD to run for him to be successful. SW cannot survive a NM offense. JS can survive either offense, however, I do not believe he will be asked to do so because he is a much more potent passer. SW is NOT a threat to beat you with his running abilities. He might scamper here and there, but you cannot game plan, hoping his legs will get you out of trouble. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2