***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Gus spent all offseason trying to replace Sean. Now Sean's gotten hurt 2 seasons in a row. Nobody should be surprised that Gus is still trying to get a better quarterback.

My biggest gripe with Gus is that he has not been aggressive enough in the pursuit of QBs....seemed like he got JJ and thought his job was done for a few years.

One thing about the guys out west....they never stop recruiting 5* QBs no matter who they have already signed.....they don't use or keep most of them ...but they make sure they have the talent level available for real competition.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Still see somebody leaving

If that's the case, then either:

a: they competed and weren't good enough to beat him out

or 

b: they didn't man up and try to win the job in practice but instead took the easy way out to a less competitive situation.

We win either way because we want the best of the best playing and those willing to compete to earn the starting job.

A few years ago, some on this board worried when we were recruiting Russell Wilson to transfer in that we were sending a bad message to the current QB's on roster. We didn't get him and we all know how the following season went. Bottom line, if you bring in a guy that competes, wins the job, and gives you the best opportunity to win on the field, the players and fans will get behind him. At this level, you don't get a participation trophy and you only want the best out there representing your team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If that's the case, then either:

a: they competed and weren't good enough to beat him out

or 

b: they didn't man up and try to win the job in practice but instead took the easy way out to a less competitive situation.

We win either way because we want the best of the best playing and those willing to compete to earn the starting job.

A few years ago, some on this board worried when we were recruiting Russell Wilson to transfer in that we were sending a bad message to the current QB's on roster. We didn't get him and we all know how the following season went. Bottom line, if you bring in a guy that competes, wins the job, and gives you the best opportunity to win on the field, the players and fans will get behind him. At this level, you don't get a participation trophy and you only want the best out there representing your team.

I agree.  However, there are "participation trophies".  They are called scholarships.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I agree.  However, there are "participation trophies".  They are called scholarships.  

I almost put that!! You are correct! They've already earned something most of us only dream of getting!!

9 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I hope we land him but I have a feeling if we do....it won't sit well with WB or SW (not including JF3/TQ) I fully expect one to transfer out & I expect it to be WB. Assuming we land JS...he would be starting as a RS sophomore. WB doesn't seem like the kinda guy that wants to wait until his senior year to play. 

No one is going to transfer. White would have to sit out for a year and Woody hasn't even taken a snap at QB. 

16 hours ago, thaitopher said:

This opinion is completely devoid of any logic. Having the ability to beat someone with the run doesn't make that person a dual threat quarterback. A dual threat quarterback is someone who is such a good runner that the game plan is largely designed around said player's ability to run by using the read option and similar plays. JS had 70 total rushing yards at Baylor. 70!!!! And you say he is the epitome of a DT quarterback. Nope, nope and nope. Further, a dual threat quarterback is a person who is most successful when run plays are designed for him, aka JF3. JS's effectiveness would be seriously limited if Gus developed a lot of running plays for him. 

That's not true in the slightest.  A dual threat quarterback is someone who can successfully both beat you in the air and beat you on the ground. Thus the term "dual threat". What offensive scheme they run is irrelevant. It sounds like what you are defining is a run-first QB like Marshall.

Oh... and if you weren't aware, Stidham didn't play a full season as a freshman at Baylor.

Finally... watch his film.  He can pocket pass, run the read-option, run the option, etc.  He's got the skills to do it all.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So what message is being sent to SW and WB by the coaches?

The same message that was sent when they went after John last year. You've got to earn the job.  Sean did, and he'll do his best to do it again next year if we land Stidham.  I'm sure Woody will too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

One weird dynamic to watch, if JS comes and JF3 stays, we've got two true dual threats.......a quasi-dual threat, then SW.

you can't tailor play calling to fit 2 w/ out excluding the other 2's abilities.  Of course, Gus may not be thinking about any of that........just searching for the opportunity to win.

Stidham and White can run primarily the same offense. Stidham would just have a larger playbook, do to his mobility. Since none of us have seen Woody since high school, who knows what he would run.  Hopefully he can refine his passing skills enough to fit right in.

5 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Anyone got a clue what was pitched to him and if he is still in Auburn?

I believe he's left town. And what was pitched to him is that Rhett isn't talking to GSU. 

The biggest pitch is the one that TAMU isn't giving him. He's theirs if they decide they want him. 

• Like 1

I know people are saying nobody will transfer if JS comes because he won't use his entire eligibility, but that is just wishful thinking IMO. We never know. And JS also was injured so who knows if he can make it through a full season himself.

I say bring in any and all talented QBs and let them fight it out. I really like Woody's skill set coupled with his big frame, so I like the idea of him starting for at least 2 years -- but who knows how that will shake out QB evaluation is such a crapshoot, especially with this staff.. but if I'm SW's parents I'm probably advising him to transfer and go somewhere where he can have an immediate clear path to start and put up good passing numbers since the chances of him starting after leading the team more than admirably (once the staff put him in positions to succeed) will be significantly less if JS is on campus.

It's not about being scared to compete, but with his clock ticking it's all about opportunity to show what you can do for the NFL scouts. No matter how unlikely being drafted high is for him due to his frame I'm sure he still wants to put everything he can on film for the NFL guys to look at, and if he's on the bench at AU it's not doing him any favors.

Edited by Tiger

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Still see somebody leaving

IMHO, JF3 will leave anyway (whether we get JS or not)

SW understands the situation and will not be bothered by it at all.

Woody will be a RSFR.  He will still have 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining after JS leaves, so I seriously doubt he will want to pack up and start all over somewhere else to get the same shot he already has at AU.  That doesn't make much sense.

I'm beginning to warm up to the notion that Gus may be about to get his biggest recruiting victory (Cam was bigger but CGM was only OC then).  I've never really thought AU would win this one until yesterday (before Keith CB'd JS to AU). When the visit was flipped to Official that was big.  Obviously Stidham doesn't have time for another AU visit if he visits FL, LSU, O, and maybe TAMU and/or others.  He may be moving to his next home in two or three weeks. After sitting out JS probably needs some Bowl Practice work.  WDE!!!

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The biggest pitch is the one that TAMU isn't giving him. He's theirs if they decide they want him. 

This is unsettling. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I believe he's left town. And what was pitched to him is that Rhett isn't talking to GSU. 

What makes you so sure of that? 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry. Should've tagged that w/ "IMO". I know nothing.  

I think Sumlin's seat is hotter than Gus's. Both had bad defenses and right now ours seems to be the much better team. Sumlin won't last another 7-5 or 8-4 year with the amount of money they are paying him. Morris has already said that he wants that job (if he can get it done at SMU). People are still talking about not wanting him back because his teams don't finish the season...

Just now, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think Sumlin's seat is hotter than Gus's. Both had bad defenses and right now ours seems to be the much better team. Sumlin won't last another 7-5 or 8-4 year with the amount of money they are paying him. Morris has already said that he wants that job (if he can get it done at SMU). People are still talking about not wanting him back because his teams don't finish the season...

I'm not sure Stidham's preference for TAMU is contingent upon who's coaching there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not sure Stidham's preference for TAMU is contingent upon who's coaching there.

Agreed... he's a Texas boy and Texas blood runs deep. I still hope he sees less drama and a chance for big things at Auburn, and it overpowers the draw of Texas.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Agreed... he's a Texas boy and Texas blood runs deep. I still hope he sees less drama and a chance for big things at Auburn, and it overpowers the draw of Texas.

Agree. I think Stidham realizes that he has all pieces there at Auburn, and just that if he could be "the man" who led Auburn to Promised Land, his pro prospects will be skyrocketed. 

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Agree. I think Stidham realizes that he has all pieces there at Auburn, and just that if he could be "the man" who led Auburn to Promised Land, his pro prospects will be skyrocketed. 

At the same time, I bet everyone in Texas is trying to sell him on being the man who brings A&M back to the elite status they once had (prior to 1940).

I just read somewhere that Mond threatened A&M with his commitment if they bring in Stidham. I will see if I can find it again but that would be huge. If Stidham chooses A&M, we get Mond and if he chooses us well then we get him..

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I just read somewhere that Mond threatened A&M with his commitment if they bring in Stidham. I will see if I can find it again but that would be huge. If Stidham chooses A&M, we get Mond and if he chooses us well then we get him..

Sounds like a "win, win" situation :bananadance: