Bret Bielema is scum

Tivo48

Bielema:

"If one of those players is on the field for me, and I have no timeouts, I have no way to stop the game. And he raises his hand to stop the game, and I can't do it. What am I supposed to do?"

What are you supposed to do?

1. Improve conditioning of your team. First you have to do it for player endurance. Second, you have to do it because occasionally one of your LBs will have to cover a WR.

2. Coach your players. That means you coach your defenders so they can run multiple schemes and coverages out of standard sets. Your players cannot expect situational substitution on every down.

3. Coach your players. That means you coach your defenders that if they feel like they are so fatigued they are at risk of injury, they need to drop and feign injury.

4. Lead your staff. You and your DC need to be much more judicious in managing your defensive players. This means substituting for endurance first, and subsitution for situation second.

Did I miss something?

So if the rule doesn't pass, we can expect an Arkansas or Alabama defensive player to go down (faking an injury) about every play! Then they will get all the subs in they want.

Then we'll see someone wanting a rule for that too if it gets out of hand.

Bielema:

"If one of those players is on the field for me, and I have no timeouts, I have no way to stop the game. And he raises his hand to stop the game, and I can't do it. What am I supposed to do?"

1. Improve conditioning of your team. First you have to do it for player endurance. Second, you have to do it because occasionally one of your LBs will have to cover a WR.

2. Coach your players. That means you coach your defenders so they can run multiple schemes and coverages out of standard sets. Your players cannot expect situational substitution on every down.

3. Coach your players. That means you coach your defenders that if they feel like they are so fatigued they are at risk of injury, they need to drop and feign injury.

4. Lead your staff. You and your DC need to be much more judicious in managing your defensive players. This means substituting for endurance first, and subsitution for situation second.

Did I miss something?

So if the rule doesn't pass, we can expect an Arkansas or Alabama defensive player to go down (faking an injury) about every play! Then they will get all the subs in they want.

Many posters on here wanted a rule for that last year, because we felt like teams would feign injury to slow down Gus' offense and break our offensive momentum.

The problem is, how do you know if a player is really hurt/injured/physically fatigued and who makes that call and throws a penalty on them for faking it when they may not be actually faking it? A rule that would penalize a team for faking injury carries a lot of liability for the men that have to make that call in a split second on the football field.

I was working up in Chicago with a bunch of Wisconsin alumni when Arkansas hired this clown. To a person, they were all glad to see him go. Back when I posted their thoughts on this board, someone jumped all over me, telling me how great a guy and coach he was, and that they loved him in Wisconsin. I guess the alumni I worked with were right and are probably overjoyed he is no longer their problem. He has been a disaster waiting to happen, and it appears the disaster has landed! Here is hoping not only Auburn, but Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas Tech, and heck, even Nicholls State and Northern Illinois run their butt in the ground and put up 70+ points each on Arkansas. I've never had anything against Arkansas, but he may have caused them to move ahead of UGA and just behind UAT as my most loathed teams.

The problem is, how do you know if a player is really hurt/injured/physically fatigued ...

Pretty simple. In the interest of player safety, any player for whom an injury timeout is called must sit out at least 4 plays. A player injured twice in the same game must miss the rest of the game until a thorough physical evaluation can be made. You know, to protect the kid's health.

Bielema:

Did I miss something?

Many posters on here wanted a rule for that last year, because we felt like teams would feign injury to slow down Gus' offense and break our offensive momentum.

The problem is, how do you know if a player is really hurt/injured/physically fatigued and who makes that call and throws a penalty on them for faking it when they may not be actually faking it? A rule that would penalize a team for faking injury carries a lot of liability for the men that have to make that call in a split second on the football field.

The rule wouldn't penalize teams for players flopping. They would limit the players ability to come back in the game. As is, the player sits only for 1 play. The rule would be, especially if player safety is at the bottom of all this, to specify when or if that player can return to the game. The rule would probably set up a guideline of at least a series of downs or maybe even the remainder of a quarter before the player can return to the game.

The problem is, how do you know if a player is really hurt/injured/physically fatigued ...

Pretty simple. In the interest of player safety, any player for whom an injury timeout is called must sit out at least 4 plays. A player injured twice in the same game must miss the rest of the game until a thorough physical evaluation can be made. You know, to protect the kid's health.

You have it right IMO...if a guy can't continue (fatigue or injury) he has to come out of the game...he should stay out a while. That really would be a rule that could benefit player safety.

Saw Jimbo send an obviously fatigued player into the BCS game when the guy could barely walk...a real risk to the player's health....but did not seem to bother Jimbo or his DC....and they had to take him out after a couple plays and I think he was out for quite a while after that.

It would be the end of the opportunity for the offense to spike the ball to kill the clock with less than 10 secs to go.

I was working up in Chicago with a bunch of Wisconsin alumni when Arkansas hired this clown. To a person, they were all glad to see him go. Back when I posted their thoughts on this board, someone jumped all over me, telling me how great a guy and coach he was, and that they loved him in Wisconsin. I guess the alumni I worked with were right and are probably overjoyed he is no longer their problem. He has been a disaster waiting to happen, and it appears the disaster has landed! Here is hoping not only Auburn, but Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas Tech, and heck, even Nicholls State and Northern Illinois run their butt in the ground and put up 70+ points each on Arkansas. I've never had anything against Arkansas, but he may have caused them to move ahead of UGA and just behind UAT as my most loathed teams.

There have been a few threads here on Bert and his potential future at Ark. There were always a few posters defending Bert and thinking he will do well at Ark. That was before the controversial rule proposal. After that I haven't seen anyone here defending the guy anymore.

There have been a few threads here on Bert and his potential future at Ark. There were always a few posters defending Bert and thinking he will do well at Ark. That was before the controversial rule proposal. After that I haven't seen anyone here defending the guy anymore.

Here's hoping the guy goes win less again in SEC play. Can anyone even imagine the decibel level his whining would ascend to should that happen? It would be awesome to watch! Historically, has there ever been a coach who found a way to become the most hated coach in the league in such a short time? Amazingly, the hawgs are still spinning his great recruiting and coaching hires. Dude better be a good @ hiring coaches, just about his entire staff bailed this year and he has a record of that happening.

The fact that he is an ass doesn't necessarily mean he can't/won't be a problem in the SEC. There are dozens of coaches out there who are screwballs and asses, guys who make outrageous comments from time to time...and yet they are still signing players and winning games and getting support from alums. It's about winning and if BB wins at Arky, their fans will overlook his foibles. I mean, why would anyone hire Petrino if character was a serious consideration?

It's interesting to me that BB has done what I thought was impossible....taken the heat off Nick and bama...and has gotten AU people talking about Arky, a school that generally means nothing to the typical AU fan.

Nick must be laughing to himself over this....conned ole BB into taking the point on this patrol and is letting him draw the fire over the latest "Saban Rule"

The fact that he is an ass doesn't necessarily mean he can't/won't be a problem in the SEC. There are dozens of coaches out there who are screwballs and asses, guys who make outrageous comments from time to time...and yet they are still signing players and winning games and getting support from alums. It's about winning and if BB wins at Arky, their fans will overlook his foibles. I mean, why would anyone hire Petrino if character was a serious consideration?

It's interesting to me that BB has done what I thought was impossible....taken the heat off Nick and bama...and has gotten AU people talking about Arky, a school that generally means nothing to the typical AU fan.

Nick must be laughing to himself over this....conned ole BB into taking the point on this patrol and is letting him draw the fire over the latest "Saban Rule"

I still think the guy is in way over his head in the SEC. Nothing he has done so far has impressed me as a coach at UW or Ark. He was handed the keys to a great program at UW from Barry Alverez and had a terrible record in big games/bowl games. They only beat the chumps of the B1G. Last year was terrible other than a few moral victory-close game losses to end the year. That SI article summed up his tenure at UW well:

The bad news, though, is that even with the three league titles that Bielema won with the Badgers, his Wisconsin teams rarely beat opponents with more touted high school talent. Under Bielema, the Badgers went 1-5 against Ohio State, 2-3 against Penn State and 2-4 in bowl games. In a study that strongly correlates recruiting rankings with victories, SB Nation's Matt Hintondivided the major-conference FBS programs into five tiers (five-stars, four-stars, etc.) based on their recruiting rankings from 2010 to '13. Wisconsin fell into the two-star group, alongside the likes of USF and Purdue, yet did not overachieve to the extent that one might assume. "They were actually very ordinary in that span against blue-chip competition, putting up losing records against five-star (2-3), four-star (3-6) and even three-star (5-6) opponents," wrote Hinton. "Much of Wisconsin's success is based on thorough, consistent dominance of its two-star peers in the Big Ten -- Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue -- against whom the Badgers have won 17 in a row."

Here's hoping the guy goes win less again in SEC play. Can anyone even imagine the decibel level his whining would ascend to should that happen? It would be awesome to watch! Historically, has there ever been a coach who found a way to become the most hated coach in the league in such a short time? Amazingly, the hawgs are still spinning his great recruiting and coaching hires. Dude better be a good @ hiring coaches, just about his entire staff bailed this year and he has a record of that happening.

If that happens, his whining will be done from the unemployment line.

the last thing I want to know is what bert does to himself when he is alone. please don't call him.

A multi-millionaire coach standing in the unemployment line. What are the chances of that ever happening?

A multi-millionaire coach standing in the unemployment line. What are the chances of that ever happening?

LOL, stop taking me so literally!

• 1 month later...

The cause of death for Ted Agu has been determined. Link

Coroner: Cal's Ted Agu died of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

By Tom Fornelli | College Football Writer

April 24, 2014 3:18 pm ET

Nearly three months after California defensive lineman Ted Agu died after collapsing on a "supervised training run" a cause of death has been determined.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that, according to the Alameda County coroner's office, Agu died as a result of a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It's the same disease that claimed the life of former basketball players Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy leads to the hypertrophying (or thickening) of the heart muscle, and it's one of the leading causes of sudden cardiac death in young athletes. It is unknown if Agu was aware he had the condition.

Cal team physician Dr. Casey Batten was on "a supervised training run" with the entire team and "multiple members of the medical staff in attendance." According to Batten, the medical staff witnessed Agu having trouble completing the run and removed him from it, putting him on a cart and taking him to the medical area. When Agu became unresponsive the staff performed CPR and called the emergency staff.

Agu was then taken to Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley where he was pronounced dead.

Nearly three months after California defensive lineman Ted Agu died after collapsing on a "supervised training run" a cause of death has been determined.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that, according to the Alameda County coroner's office, Agu died as a result of a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It's the same disease that claimed the life of former basketball players Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy leads to the hypertrophying (or thickening) of the heart muscle, and it's one of the leading causes of sudden cardiac death in young athletes. It is unknown if Agu was aware he had the condition.

Cal team physician Dr. Casey Batten was on "a supervised training run" with the entire team and "multiple members of the medical staff in attendance." According to Batten, the medical staff witnessed Agu having trouble completing the run and removed him from it, putting him on a cart and taking him to the medical area. When Agu became unresponsive the staff performed CPR and called the emergency staff.

Agu was then taken to Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley where he was pronounced dead.

Thanks for posting. Horrible story.

I wonder if there is a possible screening test for this.

Archived