Did Nd need to fire Ty?

vatz22au

Did ND make the right choice to fire Ty?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Did ND make the right choice to fire Ty?

• Yes
    • No

I honestly think they didnt...the guy brought in alot of young talent that hadnt been there before he arrived, and I saw a steady but not vast improvement in the way ND has been playing. I still think they suck but are on the right road to building it back up....just needed some time.

I thought the same thing with Zook and I know alot of people might disagree. He was pratically playing with talented talented freshman and sophmores that, with experience, would probably lead florida in the future to a national title contender status....The players seem like they want to play for him, and he stands up for his players.

Yes they played horrible at times, but look at Tuberville...his beginning stats dont wow anyone...yet here he is and its obvious he built this program into a powerhouse for the years to come.

I would add...Who Cares...that is my vote...

Notre Dame lives on their PAST tradition like some other schools I know...maybe N. Dame can join a conference with Alabama so the winner of that conference( maybe we can call the conference THE TRADITIONAL II) can have BCS alliance tie...

i voted yes.

how long has ty been there? long enough, right?

ND ain't iowa state... they like winning... i'd say he got as much time as gerry faust, right?

127755[/snapback]

This was Ty's third season. Faust got 5 seasons (1981-1985) and Bob Davie also got 5 years (1997-2001). Oddly enough, through 3 seasons (not counting this year's bowl game) Davie and Ty have the exact same record.

I voted YES

eveyone is missing the the big picture... Urban Meyer to ND.. after all it is one of he out schools in his contract.

Bigger Picture..

Ty will go to UF.. (I think that would be very interesting)

Impatience can be detrimental to a football program

There are some that wanted CTT out early and didn't want to allow a mistake

3-4 years is not long enough to build a program...ask Tubs. :au:

I thought they were quick on the trigger also...but I do think Urban Meyer's star is at its peak and I also think ND wants him badly.

I don't see Willingham and Florida being a good fit...I've heard Washington is interested and TW has coached in the Pac-10 before.

I talked to 2 ND alumni who have been calling for his release for almost 2 years now.

One went to school in the mid 60's when Ara was coaching. The other was in school when Lou was coaching. Both experienced success/NC's while they were there.

Both expressed reservations about Ty being able to get them back to consistent national prominence. In their eyes, Ty wasn't able to raise their quality of recruiting to compete consistently with the big boys, thus his demise. Patience is a 'golden' virtue, that even ND doesn't have the luxury of allowing the Gerry Fousts of the world to hang on forever.

That being said, both agree that ND's problems won't be solved by taking action against Ty alone. They don't think their current administration will enable their institution to be successful as it embarks upon the 'changed' world around them; (NCAA, BCS, major conference alignments, etc.) The O'Leary hiring was mess from the start and Tyrone Willingham probably wasn't the right replacement candidate as a result of that debacle. However, in their view changing HC's was necessary for consistent success on the field.

Routinely missing the BCS simply isn't acceptable at ND.

Incidently, both agreed they would take Lou Holtz back in a heartbeat.

Whatever happened to someone being at a school for a long time, building up the program and retiring? I think this was ridiculous. The man hasn't even finished his 3rd year at the place and people are calling for his head. What if we had done this to CTT after his 3rd, or last year? Would we be 11-0 right now and be playing as one of the best teams in the nation? Probably not ND needs to think about what this is going to make their attitude towards coaches look like, as does Auburn after our own mess.

I voted No (if the Washington rumour isn't true that is). He didn't have enough time to recruit the type of players that he needed to run his offense effectively, despite that he still had some big wins. The switch from option to West Coast worked better for him than Nebraska's has so far. Should have given the man at least one graduating Sr. class.

Credible rumors are afloat that ND caught him lobbying himself for the Washington job and they ended it.

Wanted to end back on the West Coast

127831[/snapback]

Even before ND fired him, Willingham was considered a candidate in UW's search for a new coach. Plenty of rumors out here as well: Link

... Indications are that there has been, or will be, some footsie between Willingham and Washington. But it appears the firing came independent of any interest Willingham might have here.  ...

Jeff Tedford of Cal is another big name on UW's wish list.

Credible rumors are afloat that ND caught him lobbying himself for the Washington job and they ended it.

Wanted to end back on the West Coast

127831[/snapback]

What he said. ND let him go. His wife hated ND. He was trying for UW job anyway. It was mutual.

But 3 seasons is not enough time to fix the mess Davie left at ND.

I think they did the right thing because for them, as their AD stated yesterday during the press conference, it's all about performance on the field. He wasn't getting it done to their expectations. End of story.

What they didn't say at the press conference, and what I think needs to be brought up was that Willingham was a last-minute feel good hire to save face after they were burnt by George O'Leary's fake resume.

It's just as big a mistake to hire someone at the wrong time as it is to fire them at the wrong time. I think this will all work out for everyone. All the coaches will get what they want and ND will get what they want, but they will still suck. So it works out all away around.

Of course everyone knew he was a candidate for UW.....but I doubt ND believed that in the middle of football season their coach would be caught begging for another job.

Heard he was caught doing it and then fired.

Good for NJD

Guest Tigrinum Major

I voted no. Not knowing all the facts, such as this Washington rumor, I think a coach should have at least 4 years before you pull the plug.

Unless, of course, you are talking about UAT. Then I think having three coaches over the course of 4 months is great for diversity and really allows the kids to experience a lot of different philosophies. That can only be good for the stability of a program, right?

Too early. Im getting tired of colleges jumping the gun on coaches. That's why there are so many open jobs around these days. And thats why you wont see too many dynasties any more. Coaches are ALWAYS looking over their shoulder...and when they do well, its on to bigger and better.

Ty had 3 full recruiting classes. 2 of them were top 25 one was top 15. But those guys are still young. And his philosophy was one that takes a while to instill.

Compound that with the fact that he graduates players and puts education first...i dont see what the problem was. He was 10-2 with a bcs appearance in his first freaking year. I say 4 years is the absolute minimum (so you can see how some of his kids do)

I suppose this is a backdoor-ish answer to the question of how long MSU has to wait to fire Sylvester Croom if that should become an option for them. I've already heard the spin machine start up about how Willingham's firing leaves on 2 black I-A coaches and that black coaches aren't getting enough face time in the NCAA.

Why can't it just be about football and not what color the coach & players are? I guess the media and special interest groups need something to *itch about.

I suppose this is a backdoor-ish answer to the question of how long MSU has to wait to fire Sylvester Croom if that should become an option for them.  I've already heard the spin machine start up about how Willingham's firing leaves on 2 black I-A coaches and that black coaches aren't getting enough face time in the NCAA.

Why can't it just be about football and not what color the coach & players are?  I guess the media and special interest groups need something to *itch about.

127985[/snapback]

I really think that this issue may be the reason that more black coached aren't hired. Why hire someone that is going to be hard to fire if he ends up being mediocre...

You are right, it should be about football but it's not. Every time race can be brought into the picture it is. I am not saying that the coaches bring it up or even want it to be an issue; however, there are a ton of special interest groups out there that do want to make race an issue. :no:

I think it boils down to the point of Notre Dame wanting Urban Meyer. Nothing to do with race. They felt it was probably now or never. He has the option to leave for Notre Dame currently and they want to utilize that now instead of later if he went to Florida or somewhere else.

Archived