TJ Lang commits to AU!

Weegle777

UPDATED 5/20/14: Lang commits to AU!

tj_newjpg_5aba9dfe4cb0bfe2.jpg

T.J. Lang, Small Forward

Hometown: Mobile, Ala. (McGill-Toolen)

6-7, 195

McGill-Toolen senior and one-time Virginia Tech signee TJ Lang said Wednesday afternoon he is at ease and feels good about his decision this week to re-open his college recruitment.

The 6-foot-7 Lang, No. 8 on AL.com's list of top seniors in the state, said he decided to make the move late Monday night and called new Hokies coach Buzz Williams to ask for his release Tuesday morning.

"I think just the drastic changes that have happened within the program in the last month with the firing of coach (James) Johnson and the assistants who recruited me made me re-think things," he said. "Also, I didn't feel the relationship between coach Williams and I was as great as the relationship I had with coach Johnson.

"It was a long decision and a tough one, but I sat down with my family and prayed about it and decided it would be best for me to re-open my recruitment."

Virginia Tech associate director of athletic communications Bill Dyer confirmed to AL.com Tuesday afternoon that both Lang and the school had completed the forms that needed to be completed for Lang to be released from his scholarship and re-open his recruitment. In a statement, Williams, the former Marquette coach, wished Lang well.

http://www.al.com/sp...7C8EAA8A18E5640

Lang said he had received a request from an Auburn Internet reporter to pass along his number to one of new Tiger coach Bruce Pearl's assistants but had not heard from anyone official.

"As of now, I don't know anything about coach Pearl," Lang said. "Within the next few days, I'm actually going to start doing more research on them. Auburn is a good school and their basketball program will be on the rise."

I'd say yes, there's a chance. I love that hiring CBP has recruits knowing that AU bball is "on the rise."

It is neat having bball recruits actually reaching out to AU and mentioning us as a potential destination!

Can we just be called Transfer U in basketball next year? We'll have an all american 7th man team, haha

(Nevermind, I didn't realize he wasn't on campus yet)

I'll be a little surprised if Pearl actually brings in any of these D1 transfers just because they have to sit out a year and we need help now! I expect any transfers we get to come from the lower ranks so they can play immediately.

Guest jojo1515

The real question should be... are we interested in him? Va. Tech was just as good as AU in bball last year...and fired their coach. Add in that schools such as Illinois State and Georgia State are the schools after him lately. He may be the next Michael Jordan, but Id say signs so far arent good that he'll end up at AU

The real question should be... are we interested in him? Va. Tech was just as good as AU in bball last year...and fired their coach. Add in that schools such as Illinois State and Georgia State are the schools after him lately. He may be the next Michael Jordan, but Id say signs so far arent good that he'll end up at AU

Jojo, you could be right on this I know nothing about the kid and Va Tech was bad last year. That being said Ga State is recruiting him. Georgia State had a very good year last year. They most likely would have stomped AU last year.

• 1 month later...

Can he play this year?

I am not positive, but I think he can play next year. He signed with Va Tech, they changed coaches and he asked for his release and they granted it. He never enrolled.

A little more info on Lang. He averaged 19 a game as a senior and is really a jump shooter.

Can he play this year?

I am not positive, but I think he can play next year. He signed with Va Tech, they changed coaches and he asked for his release and they granted it. He never enrolled.

A little more info on Lang. He averaged 19 a game as a senior and is really a jump shooter.

I think you are correct in that if he never enrolled and has been released from his LOI then he won;t have to sit a year.

Big get for Auburn! He brings length and 3-point shooting ability to the wing. This also puts Auburn at 14 players on scholarship. So I'm guessing that Thompson is going to go back to being listed as a walk-on to make room for Lang.

Just wait until Bruce Pearl can talk to recruits! I imagine that we're going to have some elite talent coming to the plains next year.

Could be the shooting guard we have been looking for also being from Alabama should help us down the road when recruiting Alabama. Looks like the team is set for next year assuming nobody leaves. We have added size, shooting and another point guard on paper we are better than last years team now it is up to Coach Pearl to coach them up as he has shown he can in the past.

War Eagle! Nice pickup.

Archived