2014 Spring Practice - Day 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

The scrimmage is closed to the media so not sure how much in terms of updates we'll get but anything that comes our way, we'll pass along ...

Gus Malzahn on final two weeks of spring practice: "We've got to put the hammer down."

@bmarcello

Auburn's Saturday work: "Half a practice, half a scrimmage. Really an emphasis on building depth."

How low key was Auburn's work in Jordan-Hare? "We didn't kick extra points, that should tell you something," said Gus Malzahn.

Gus Malzahn on practice: "We've been very physical this spring. We have more information about this team. We're starting to get specific."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on QB Nick Marshall: "He's definitely improved."

Gus Malzahn on Auburn's spring: "We do know a lot about our guys. We have two more weeks. We've got to put the hammer down."

Practice done in Jordan-Hare Stadium...

BkeTuHSIMAAgfnt.jpg

@AUGoldMine

We just wrapped up with Gus Malzahn and selected players. Biggest nugget today: RT Avery Young took reps at RG today, Pat Miller at RT.

@AUBlog

Malzahn: "First of all, it was good to be back in the stadium." Said he was glad to see such a great turnout from high school coaches.

Malzahn on Nick Marshall: "I think Coach (Rhett) Lashlee is pleased with where he is." Says Marshall has "definitely improved" since fall.

@wareagleextra

Avery Young said he's never played guard before this week.

Nick Marshall was not available today. After more than 6 months of buildup to spring, Auburn's starting QB has not spoken for last 2 weeks.

Montravius Adams is still working at DE, thinks he could see a few reps there in the fall but he expects to be back at DT.

Brandon King and Derrick Moncrief were the big hitters today.

@JamesCrepea

First-team OL in Saturday scrimmage: LT Shon Coleman, LG Alex Kozan, C Reese Dismukes, RG Avery Young, RT Pat Miller.

Malzahn: "The standards and expectations as far as execution are higher. They should be."

Malzahn says Peyton Barber is improving and wants to do well. "You can see he's a tough guy."

Malzahn says Lou Holtz did an "outstanding" job talking to high school coaches and Auburn players

@PMARSHONAU

Phillip Marshall ‏@PMARSHONAU 1h

First-team OL in Saturday scrimmage: LT Shon Coleman, LG Alex Kozan, C Reese Dismukes, RG Avery Young, RT Pat Miller.

Have a strong suspicion, this will be the starting OL against Arkansas.

Need to have your best 5 linemen on the field.

To be honest, Slade has been a touch inconsistent on the field in his 3 years. The first two years were understandable but he had troubles last year as well. It's not completely surprising but I'd bet that it's just an experiment for now, and maybe a motivational factor for the coaches to use to get him to amp up his performance. At any rate, that's a good looking O-line.

Ouch to Slade huh?

Shon, A, and Pat are all three better... May the best man win. It's called competition. Slade's gonna have to up his game, or he's the odd man out.

Ouch to Slade huh?

Shon, A, and Pat are all three better... May the best man win. It's called competition. Slade's gonna have to up his game, or he's the odd man out.

Don't get me wrong...I like it... I want the hungriest, fastest, best burst type guys out there. Plus is Millers says he likes playing next to Avery... That is what you want... The line playing together.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine this being the starting O line come August. Or it could be as simple as a depth experiment. If one of the Guards goes down, maybe move AY inside and bring in the #2 OT? Either way, AU has an awesome looking O line even though GR left early.

that's how I was looking at it Browning, but if Young picks up the guard position and this puts the best 5 combo on the field, then I'm all for it. Slade played much better last year, and he looks stronger in recent pics.

I know there is prestige being the starter....but any combination of the top 6 or 7 candidates out there is going to be tough for any defense to handle IMO and we saw last season that there are occasions when one of the OLs lines up in the backfield as a lead blocker.

Interview with Miller is good. (Thanks for the vids, RIR!)

One reporter asked whether they moved Miller to RT because they like to run more to the left (and Shon is the more powerful run-blocker). Miller sort of said 'yes', but then said, "I'm a power guy, too." Then he said all the OL were power guys.

I myself was wondering why not move Shon to RT if Miller is the better pass blocker -- but what do I know?

Finally, I thought it was great to see that Miller almost couldn't keep from smiling about the offense. He knows they are going to be GOOD this year. He then said, "We gotta keep getting better, though." Still. We're good.

Archived