2014 Spring Practice - Day 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

It wouldn't be hard to imagine this being the starting O line come August. Or it could be as simple as a depth experiment. If one of the Guards goes down, maybe move AY inside and bring in the #2 OT? Either way, AU has an awesome looking O line even though GR left early.

That's my theory, to be honest, with one minor addition: I'm not so sure that Alex Kozan wouldn't move inside to center, should something happen to Dismukes, and that would be another case where it could make sense to shuffle Avery to guard in order to get the best 5 on the field at the same time.

One note I'd like to remind everyone of, however, is that Slade IS still a fifth year senior who has started for the past three seasons, and experience makes a difference, too. The fact that he was showing Avery the ropes suggests, to me at least, that the most likely scenario is Miller being the odd man out, but that it's really, really close.

Slade is smart, experienced and steady but the other 5 have a little more talent in my non-expert opinion. Slade could be the ideal 6th man. If anyone were to go down he would be the man. Maybe a little shifting but he would be there to step up without missing a beat, well maybe one or two. Chad can play guard or tackle at SEC level and would be my first choice to bring in without disturbing rhythm of our high octane offense. Great kid and an outstanding Auburn Man.

"Drive Killer" Miller wasn't on the same planet as Slade last season, he must have improved his focus. A lot.

Link?

A link for my opinion? You missed some of those Doritos on your belly.

TIFWIW, but I talked to an OL (I'm gonna keep his name out of the post, just FYI) in the elevator yesterday (for those who don't know, I live in the athletic dorms on campus). After a bit of small talk, he and I got to talking about football and the scrimmage on Saturday. He described it as "rough" but thought that it was mainly because it was the first time they had scrimmaged in JHS this spring. I asked him how the OL was looking compared to last year, and he just looked at me and said "dude... it's gonna be sick."

After much study, it is my opinion that this move could be permanent. Getting the best 5 guys out there is the goal. Miller has improved a good deal. I like Slade and will always consider him a great Auburn Man, but Miller and Young are more athletic.

After much study, it is my opinion that this move could be permanent. Getting the best 5 guys out there is the goal. Miller has improved a good deal. I like Slade and will always consider him a great Auburn Man, but Miller and Young are more athletic.

Just think, we have Braden Smith coming in too. I can see a possible OL developing in 2015 consisting of:

LT-Coleman, LG-Smith, C-Kozan, RG-Young, RT-Miller

It wouldn't be hard to imagine this being the starting O line come August. Or it could be as simple as a depth experiment. If one of the Guards goes down, maybe move AY inside and bring in the #2 OT? Either way, AU has an awesome looking O line even though GR left early.

That's my theory, to be honest, with one minor addition: I'm not so sure that Alex Kozan wouldn't move inside to center, should something happen to Dismukes, and that would be another case where it could make sense to shuffle Avery to guard in order to get the best 5 on the field at the same time.

One note I'd like to remind everyone of, however, is that Slade IS still a fifth year senior who has started for the past three seasons, and experience makes a difference, too. The fact that he was showing Avery the ropes suggests, to me at least, that the most likely scenario is Miller being the odd man out, but that it's really, really close.

Dampeer says Hola

You're right about Slade. Look at his recruiting photo versus photos every year he has been here. He has worked very hard. He deserves a LOT of respect.

TIFWIW, but I talked to an OL (I'm gonna keep his name out of the post, just FYI) in the elevator yesterday (for those who don't know, I live in the athletic dorms on campus). After a bit of small talk, he and I got to talking about football and the scrimmage on Saturday. He described it as "rough" but thought that it was mainly because it was the first time they had scrimmaged in JHS this spring. I asked him how the OL was looking compared to last year, and he just looked at me and said "dude... it's gonna be sick."

Thanks, Engineer! Great to hear!

"Drive Killer" Miller wasn't on the same planet as Slade last season, he must have improved his focus. A lot.

Link?

A link for my opinion? You missed some of those Doritos on your belly.

lol

canuck, I just can't figure out what you're talking about.

I went back and looked at the play-by-play for the first five games of the season to see if I could put my finger on why you'd consistently refer to Miller as "drive killer". For an offensive lineman, that label is usually reserved for a guy that gets penalized to kill a drive.

Interestingly, in the first five games (the only games Miller started and played substantial amounts of time), Miller was penalized twice. Total. It's possible he was also called for a hold and/or a false start on the first drive of the Arkansas State game. Both of those penalties were unattributed in ESPN's box score.

Miller was not penalized in at least 3 of the five games, and that's assuming at least one of the ASU penalties were on him.

The ASU penalties resulted in a punt, but neither of them could be called "drive killers" because both occured inside our 20. Not exactly a march down the field.

The other two penalties must be what you're referring to. Miller was twice penalized in the LSU game inside the five yard line for false starts. The first was on a 1st and goal from the 1. The only problem there is we punched the ball in for the TD. That wasn't a drive killing penalty. Poor form, but it didn't affect the team.

The second penalty came inside two minutes in the fourth quarter on first and goal from the 4 yard line. We ended up getting sacked and failed to score. That penalty (and/or that sack) killed the drive.

Bottom line, it appears you've nicknamed him "Drive Killer" Miller based on one play. I think, perhaps, you've exaggerated Miller's "drive killing" and completely undersold the quality of his play. His play didn't get him benched. If he had not gotten in trouble, there is no indication that Avery Young ever takes the RT position.

I also looked at the sacks given up by the OL in the first five games. I haven't looked at the film so I don't know if any, all, or some number of these were given up by Miller.

We gave up 1 against WSU, which didn't kill the drive. We picked up the first down on the next play and had 3 incomplete passes, which caused a punt.

We gave up 3 against MSU. The first came on 3rd and 13 and forced a FG. From that down and distance, the odds were against converting, and we still scored. Not a drive killer. The next came on 2nd and goal from the 8 yard line. That pushed us back to a less manageable 3rd down and forced a FG. That was a drive killing sack. The last one came on 1st and 10 from our 31 yard line. There was no drive to kill there.

The last one came against LSU, which I already wrote about above. The combo of the false start and the sack killed the drive. If both belong to Miller, it's fair to say that one's on him.

All in all, we gave up five total sacks in the five games Miller started. One sack killed a drive. One sack contributed to killing a drive (with the aid of a false start). Again, I don't know if Miller gave up that sack against MSU. If he did, that's two drives he killed in five games. I'd still say that's exaggerating the "Drive Killer".

Dampeer says Hola

I didn't forget about him, but he's a JUCO guy who may or may not be as good a choice at center as Kozan if Dismukes goes down for any length of time. Alex WAS a freshman All-American guard last year, after all, and he has a bit of a jump on Xavier with regard to blocking assignments and such. Considering AK has worked with Dismukes at center some, he could possibly be an option there. Who knows?

"I didn't forget about him, but he's a JUCO guy who may or may not be as good a choice at center as Kozan if Dismukes goes down for any length of time. Alex WAS a freshman All-American guard last year, after all, and he has a bit of a jump on Xavier with regard to blocking assignments and such. Considering AK has worked with Dismukes at center some, he could possibly be an option there. Who knows?"

This would make sense, to me, if Kozan was getting any work at all at the center spot. Not only is he not but Gus has complimented Dampeer for his football savvy and how quickly he's getting it as well as complimenting his consistency with his snaps. I dont think Gus is giving a head fake with those comments and secretly planning to use Kozan at center but thats just me.

mcgufcm bringing the facts. Miller was shaky during his freshman season, but the whole OL was for whatever reason. He played well considering he was just thrown into the fire. He was greatly improved during his time last season. It sounds as if the benching has made him work hard to get back on the field too. It's hard to slow down somebody with skills, size, and motivation.

Just think, we have Braden Smith coming in too. I can see a possible OL developing in 2015 consisting of:

LT-Coleman, LG-Smith, C-Kozan, RG-Young, RT-Miller

Very very nice.

I went back and looked at the play-by-play for the first five games of the season to see if I could put my finger on why you'd consistently refer to Miller as "drive killer". For an offensive lineman, that label is usually reserved for a guy that gets penalized to kill a drive.

Interestingly, in the first five games (the only games Miller started and played substantial amounts of time), Miller was penalized twice. Total. It's possible he was also called for a hold and/or a false start on the first drive of the Arkansas State game. Both of those penalties were unattributed in ESPN's box score.

Miller was not penalized in at least 3 of the five games, and that's assuming at least one of the ASU penalties were on him.

The ASU penalties resulted in a punt, but neither of them could be called "drive killers" because both occured inside our 20. Not exactly a march down the field.

The other two penalties must be what you're referring to. Miller was twice penalized in the LSU game inside the five yard line for false starts. The first was on a 1st and goal from the 1. The only problem there is we punched the ball in for the TD. That wasn't a drive killing penalty. Poor form, but it didn't affect the team.

The second penalty came inside two minutes in the fourth quarter on first and goal from the 4 yard line. We ended up getting sacked and failed to score. That penalty (and/or that sack) killed the drive.

Bottom line, it appears you've nicknamed him "Drive Killer" Miller based on one play. I think, perhaps, you've exaggerated Miller's "drive killing" and completely undersold the quality of his play. His play didn't get him benched. If he had not gotten in trouble, there is no indication that Avery Young ever takes the RT position.

Very impressive work here. I enjoyed reading your findings.

I also looked at the sacks given up by the OL in the first five games. I haven't looked at the film so I don't know if any, all, or some number of these were given up by Miller.

We gave up 1 against WSU, which didn't kill the drive. We picked up the first down on the next play and had 3 incomplete passes, which caused a punt.

We gave up 3 against MSU. The first came on 3rd and 13 and forced a FG. From that down and distance, the odds were against converting, and we still scored. Not a drive killer. The next came on 2nd and goal from the 8 yard line. That pushed us back to a less manageable 3rd down and forced a FG. That was a drive killing sack. The last one came on 1st and 10 from our 31 yard line. There was no drive to kill there.

The last one came against LSU, which I already wrote about above. The combo of the false start and the sack killed the drive. If both belong to Miller, it's fair to say that one's on him.

All in all, we gave up five total sacks in the five games Miller started. One sack killed a drive. One sack contributed to killing a drive (with the aid of a false start). Again, I don't know if Miller gave up that sack against MSU. If he did, that's two drives he killed in five games. I'd still say that's exaggerating the "Drive Killer".

You have entirely too much time on your hands.

Very impressive work here. I enjoyed reading your findings.

Nice numbers. Go back and watch the games. "Losing focus" includes missed assignments, fumbled footwork and general sloppy play not indicative of the palyers skill level. Get back with us on that (yawn).

"I didn't forget about him, but he's a JUCO guy who may or may not be as good a choice at center as Kozan if Dismukes goes down for any length of time. Alex WAS a freshman All-American guard last year, after all, and he has a bit of a jump on Xavier with regard to blocking assignments and such. Considering AK has worked with Dismukes at center some, he could possibly be an option there. Who knows?"

This would make sense, to me, if Kozan was getting any work at all at the center spot. Not only is he not but Gus has complimented Dampeer for his football savvy and how quickly he's getting it as well as complimenting his consistency with his snaps. I dont think Gus is giving a head fake with those comments and secretly planning to use Kozan at center but thats just me.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/04/06/3043232/auburn-football-teammates-believe.html?sp=/99/210/218/

This coincides with that exact statement.

I had not heard of Malzahn's compliments for Dampeer; that is encouraging news, because I for one would much prefer not having to shuffle players around as much as would be necessary if Kozan were the second best option at center. Thanks for the info, BV.

I have a man crush on Gus. It needed to be said.

lol. Yep I knew what we had when he left in 2011 , and wanted him back before we canned Chizik. Always confident in him and would not trade him for any other coach in the game.

Archived