This is set to be the golden age of Auburn football.

I think this year is as important, if not more important, than last year. If we drop off this year or don't continue to show improvement, people will look at 2013 as a fluke. I don't believe it was and I don't believe we see a drop off but some kids on the defensive side are going to have to step up. I can't wait to see who it is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this year is as important, if not more important, than last year. If we drop off this year or don't continue to show improvement, people will look at 2013 as a fluke. I don't believe it was and I don't believe we see a drop off but some kids on the defensive side are going to have to step up. I can't wait to see who it is.

Offense will carry this team as long as Gus is at the wheel, and I'm fine with that. The defense will improve and get better because we have more talent and more experience in Ellis Johnson's scheme. I may sound like a homer - but I think this season will be lights out on both sides of the ball. AU can go up against any team and beat 'em. I just don't see any huge alarming dificiencies that worry me.

Looking at the list of top defensive teams, it seems that most of those teams play a style of offense that shortens their games...by that I mean, they keep the number of plays in the 50s or 60s....and usually the total points in a game is pretty low....bama being the exception though.

Bama's defensive stats are helped by the fact that they NEVER let those FCS teams score...and they never take their boot off the neck of a team when they get ahead and they take pride in being able to sing "....we just beat the hell outta you" ...and they mean it.

I hear ya, but remember that we were a "tipped-ball miracle" away from not overcoming the deficit resulting from a touchdown that Georgia didn't actually score and a kick-six away from going to overtime, just like we were a crazy Michael Dyer run away from 2nd down with plenty of time to make the next 20 yards or so to get in field goal range towards the end of a tied game.

I'll agree not to become entitled if you agree not to join in on the popular narrative that we earned losses in games that we didn't... deal? :)/>

(Seriously, just busting chops, and mainly exposing myself as a little too sensitive about certain matters.)

I agree with you. It probably would have been more accurate to point out that any one of four missed FGs would have kept us out of the championship. (We know that feeling from the 2005 LSU game.) I don't ever want to see a single Auburn fan sending death threats to a player who has a bad day, or displaying any of the other arrogance we have come to expect from the 85%.

Looking at the list of top defensive teams, it seems that most of those teams play a style of offense that shortens their games...by that I mean, they keep the number of plays in the 50s or 60s....and usually the total points in a game is pretty low....bama being the exception though.

Bama's defensive stats are helped by the fact that they NEVER let those FCS teams score...and they never take their boot off the neck of a team when they get ahead and they take pride in being able to sing "....we just beat the hell outta you" ...and they mean it.

Also, a lot of bama's staats are helped tremendously by the fact that coaches are intimidated by Saban. In their LSU game last year, when bama faked a punt and got a 1st down, LSU quit. They were still in the game but exerted no effort whatsoever after that point.

They has great stts in their ground D because, up until Auburn, no one ran on them. Coaches were afraid to. They presumed no one could when in fact, plenty of teams could have had they tried. Auburn gained over 3x the amount of rushing yards on uat than they'd been averaging giving up because Auburn DID run on them and wouldn't stop. Once OK saw that bama was more BS that bull, they put a kicking on them as well. Had Miles or Freeze had the guts to stand up to them, bama could have lost 2 games going into their game with Auburn.

I agree that this is a great time to be an Auburn fan. (Of course, we all know its always Great to Be an Auburn Tiger!)

Can we agree now that we will never be like the bammr fans who consider any season they don't play for a national championship a disappointment? We may well be in the playoff this year, and could easily win it all. But we could also be a tipped-ball miracle or kick-six away from missing the playoff too. I'm worried that if we do win it all this year, some on here will start sounding entitled to play for the title every year. I'm not worried about the team feeling that way and playing like Bama in the 2008 or 2014 Sugar Bowl, but I am worried about some people on this forum. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, please join my pledge to mercilessly beat down any poster who starts sounding entitled.

I hear ya, but remember that we were a "tipped-ball miracle" away from not overcoming the deficit resulting from a touchdown that Georgia didn't actually score and a kick-six away from going to overtime, just like we were a crazy Michael Dyer run away from 2nd down with plenty of time to make the next 20 yards or so to get in field goal range towards the end of a tied game.

I'll agree not to become entitled if you agree not to join in on the popular narrative that we earned losses in games that we didn't... deal? :)/>

(Seriously, just busting chops, and mainly exposing myself as a little too sensitive about certain matters.)

Watch out , you might get ripped for having high expectations. I get so tired of Auburn folks willing to settle for "realistic" expectations. The biggest difference between us, LSU, Florida, Georgia and the turds is they EXPECT to win and demand more as a fan base and athletic department. There is no reason for Auburn to take a back seat to anyone. I am slightly bias, but Auburn has plenty to offer and we can still live by the CREED and consistently compete for SECC/NCs winning our share.

War Eagle !

Also, a lot of bama's staats are helped tremendously by the fact that coaches are intimidated by Saban. In their LSU game last year, when bama faked a punt and got a 1st down, LSU quit. They were still in the game but exerted no effort whatsoever after that point.

They has great stts in their ground D because, up until Auburn, no one ran on them. Coaches were afraid to. They presumed no one could when in fact, plenty of teams could have had they tried. Auburn gained over 3x the amount of rushing yards on uat than they'd been averaging giving up because Auburn DID run on them and wouldn't stop. Once OK saw that bama was more BS that bull, they put a kicking on them as well. Had Miles or Freeze had the guts to stand up to them, bama could have lost 2 games going into their game with Auburn.

Honestly Ole Miss should've had better passing stats than they did and proably better stats than us. A great OL, not as good as ours, but two NFL receivers and a great stable plus the second/third best SEC QB now? That was an embarrassment.

Honestly Ole Miss should've had better passing stats than they did and proably better stats than us. A great OL, not as good as ours, but two NFL receivers and a great stable plus the second/third best SEC QB now? That was an embarrassment.

Freeze is still behind the curve as far as his game-day coaching is concerned IMO. Last season he had the players and he has the system....but he has let a few games get away by how he approached the game...and by some game day decisions that came back to haunt him. But...he's learning and might be more of a problem for the SEC in the next few years if he can keep the talent level up.

Freeze's poor coaching and play calling kept them scoreless in that uat game last year. There again, fear or stubborness to deviate from your initital game plan against a team like uat can get your team a loss. Freeze is getting the talent, he's got a great scheme and he'll either catchup to the coaching learning curve or OM will continue to be OM.

I agree with you. It probably would have been more accurate to point out that any one of four missed FGs would have kept us out of the championship. (We know that feeling from the 2005 LSU game.) I don't ever want to see a single Auburn fan sending death threats to a player who has a bad day, or displaying any of the other arrogance we have come to expect from the 85%.

:thumbsup:

Watch out , you might get ripped for having high expectations. I get so tired of Auburn folks willing to settle for "realistic" expectations. The biggest difference between us, LSU, Florida, Georgia and the turds is they EXPECT to win and demand more as a fan base and athletic department. There is no reason for Auburn to take a back seat to anyone. I am slightly bias, but Auburn has plenty to offer and we can still live by the CREED and consistently compete for SECC/NCs winning our share.

War Eagle !

I love this. If I agreed any more, my head would fall off. You can't demand respect and "prefer to fly under the radar" at the same time. Either we're one of the big boys or we're not. I'm pretty sure I know which side Gus Malzahn, Dameyune Craig, Nick Marshall, Shon Coleman, Carl Lawson, D'haquille Williams, Sammie Coates etc. consider themselves to be on.

It is a given that Gus will have a dynamic championship caliber offense and that Auburn will have the best offense on the field in every game this year. The focus needs to be on the defense. If AU's defense can just improve 20%, there wont be many close games this year or a need for miraculous finishes. So Auburn's ability to cross over into a "golden age" is going to be dictated by an improvement in the defense, more specifically the play of the back 7.

Those days are long gone. Giving up less than 30 points a game now is considered a decent defensive performance. Less than 20 is excellent. I think our defense will surprise a lot of people this year.

Actually, giving up less than 20 points a game is still realistic. Alabama. Florida, LSU, Florida State, and Michigan State are still able to achieve it almost every year.

Even though some would like to forget the 2008 season going 5-7, our defense was still decent and overall statistically better than any defense we've had since(2009-2013).

I will forget that season. We have only had one season since then when our record was worse and that is all that really matters. The 2008 squad was also only a few plays away from losing to both UT and MSU and being 3-9 and 0-8.

I will forget that season. We have only had one season since then when our record was worse and that is all that really matters. The 2008 squad was also only a few plays away from losing to both UT and MSU and being 3-9 and 0-8.

We were also close to having a winning season. We should have beaten LSU, Vandy, Arkansas, and Georgia in 2008 but our offense's inability to stay on the field in the 2nd half of those games and going 3 and out ended up costing us those games. We were much more competitive in 2008 than 2012 when we had no offense or defense.

2008 was also the last time we shut out an opponent, it was against La. Monroe 34-0. Our defense had a shutout against Mississippi State but the offense was called for holding in the endzone and gave Mississippi State a safety.

We were also close to having a winning season. We should have beaten LSU, Vandy, Arkansas, and Georgia in 2008 but our offense's inability to stay on the field in the 2nd half of those games and going 3 and out ended up costing us those games. We were much more competitive in 2008 than 2012 when we had no offense or defense.

2008 was also the last time we shut out an opponent, it was against La. Monroe 34-0. Our defense had a shutout against Mississippi State but the offense was called for holding in the endzone and gave Mississippi State a safety.

That could've potentially been one of the best Auburn defenses of all time had our offense been worth a crap. Paul Rhodes got a bad rap cause of that but I think he was an excellent hire and I wish he'd have stuck around to be on Chizik's staff.

That could've potentially been one of the best Auburn defenses of all time had our offense been worth a crap. Paul Rhodes got a bad rap cause of that but I think he was an excellent hire and I wish he'd have stuck around to be on Chizik's staff.

Paul Rhodes would've made 2011 less of a dumpster fire probably

I guess the golden age of AU football for me would be the Tubbs years from 04-07. I think we won 10+ games every year during that stretch though only 2 maybe 1 SEC championships. So to me winning 10+ games consistenly warrants the golden statement but some may not feel that way since we didn't have more championships under our belt. Kind of like the golden age of braves baseball which only produced 1 world series title. If Gus can keep us at the 10+ wins per season mark i'll call this the golden age. Hopefully we can add some more SEC championships in there but you have to recognize that our division has never been as tough as it is now and we could be a top 5 team nationally and still have a couple loses in our division...yikes!

I'm pretty cautious as well just because of AUs history of being favored. I know, I know, this is different this time but after getting hit in the face a few times you can't blame a guy for flinching. I will say that even with being guarded about the future I can't recall a team and coaching staff that looks to be this set up for a run in AU history. We had a great year last year with almost the entire team coming back. We have a coach who is an offensive guru that is able to adapt his offense on a year to year basis. We have a staff that is able to recruit with any staff in the country. So there is every reason to be excited about the future of AU football. Hopefully the coaches can continue to bring in the right players and keep the players and themselves hungry for more success every year!

Great post. That same run in the aughts was definitely the highlight of my existence as an Auburn fan. If I'm not mistaken, we were the winningest team in the country from 04-06 (not each year, of course, but totaling all 3). It also helped that we beat bama each of those years... and the one before it, and the one after...

And we've never been in better shape going into a season that I can remember, but college football is extremely fluid. I do feel that it's safe to assume that we'll be very good this season, but I agree with gravejd that it's hard to predict our success beyond that. In 2015 we'll break in a new QB and center, we'll lose at least one of our two best WRs or quite possibly both of them, we'll lose a few on defense and we have no idea what the coaching staff will look like. While I do expect a certain level of competency as long as Gus is around, i.e. nothing that will even remotely resemble 2008 or especially 2012, I'm not going to chalk up any big Ws after 2014 just yet.

Also, keep an eye on Chip Kelly and the Eagles. I'm not equating Kelly's offense to Gus's, but if he and Gus both succeed in the next couple seasons, the NFL will call and I wouldn't be surprised if Gus answered.

Only Gus knows for sure but I have listened to him and he gives the impression of one who wants to stay in the college arena and not go to the NFL.

Only Gus knows for sure but I have listened to him and he gives the impression of one who wants to stay in the college arena and not go to the NFL.

That's what I like to hear!

That's what I like to hear!

Some people know their niche/calling, if you will...early...even if they could "rise" to what others deem the ultimate "niche." Most people who play, coach, and live for the reasons Coach Malzahn does get exactly what I'm talking about.

:wareagle:

If this is the Golden Age of Auburn Football, does that mean it's unreasonable to expect we go undefeated for the next 20 years? ... j/k, I'm sure we'll lose 1 or 2 along the way!

Her's my :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: forecast:

November 29, 2014 ... Nick Saban goes Woody Hayes on a defender who fails to make a tackle that could have prevented another heartbreaking Iron Bowl loss. Pundits begin discussing whether it is time for him to retire.

December 15, 2015 ... Nick Marshall becomes Auburn's 4th Heisman Trophy winner, narrowly edging Jameis Winston largely on the strength of his 300 yards passing/150 yards rushing in the Iron Bowl.

January 12, 2015 ... Auburn caps off a perfect season by winning the first College Football Playoff. In the championship game, we run up 64 points on FSU's defense while holding Jameis under 200 yards passing.

February 4, 2015 ... Two 5* Bama commits see the writing on the wall and flip to Auburn on NSD, giving Gus and staff the #1 recruiting class.

February 9, 2015 ... Nick says he wants to become a family man and decides to retire.

Auburn dominates the college football world for many years to come. The Malzahn coaching tree grows as competitors line up to hire away assistants who have touched the hem of Gus's visor. Crime goes up in Alabama as bammers express their frustration.

:wareagle:

If this is the Golden Age of Auburn Football, does that mean it's unreasonable to expect we go undefeated for the next 20 years? ... j/k, I'm sure we'll lose 1 or 2 along the way!

Her's my :jossun:/> :jossun:/> :jossun:/> forecast:

November 29, 2014 ... Nick Saban goes Woody Hayes on a defender who fails to make a tackle that could have prevented another heartbreaking Iron Bowl loss. Pundits begin discussing whether it is time for him to retire.

December 15, 2015 ... Nick Marshall becomes Auburn's 4th Heisman Trophy winner, narrowly edging Jameis Winston largely on the strength of his 300 yards passing/150 yards rushing in the Iron Bowl.

January 12, 2015 ... Auburn caps off a perfect season by winning the first College Football Playoff. In the championship game, we run up 64 points on FSU's defense while holding Jameis under 200 yards passing.

February 4, 2015 ... Two 5* Bama commits see the writing on the wall and flip to Auburn on NSD, giving Gus and staff the #1 recruiting class.

February 9, 2015 ... Nick says he wants to become a family man and decides to retire.

Auburn dominates the college football world for many years to come. The Malzahn coaching tree grows as competitors line up to hire away assistants who have touched the hem of Gus's visor. Crime goes up in Alabama as bammers express their frustration.

:wareagle:/>

I would say you're shooting for the stars, but with Gus at the helm you might not be far off. Lets hope not anyway!

Offense will carry this team as long as Gus is at the wheel, and I'm fine with that. The defense will improve and get better because we have more talent and more experience in Ellis Johnson's scheme. I may sound like a homer - but I think this season will be lights out on both sides of the ball. AU can go up against any team and beat 'em. I just don't see any huge alarming dificiencies that worry me.

This is exactly how is feel. I'll go as far as to say, we won't lose a game this year, having NO MORE THAN 3 games within a TD. After this year I'm not as confident but I like thedirection in which the program is headed. I was apprehensive as to how the HUNH would fair with Gus as HC after seeing the 2011 O but now understand the hiccups were truly due to Chizik applying the breaks. What most ppl either didn't recognize or realize is that Gus is only the second offensive minded coach we've had in the modern era. Offense will always be fine with him and he's on the bleeding edge of offense in the sport. Bright days are definitely ahead.

Let's all recall 2008 and 2003.

Why? Because we have 2 position coaches splitting time at OC? Or maybe because we're breaking in a new OC with a completely different philosophy and physical requirements of his OL than the previous one, and a new QB who is destined to get moved to WR? Or maybe because the coach of both of those teams is still here?

There are only 4 things about those seasons that still hold true: orange, blue, a head coach from Arkansas and Kodi Burns on the sideline.

Like it or not dude has a valid point. Through out AU history AU has done poorly when there were high expectations. Not always but the majority of time we have struggled. We all hope this time wil be different and I think we have good reasons to think that it will be different. But until we can look back and say "that was the golden age of AU football" then it hasn't happened yet so there is no shame in being skeptical. So people are just pessimists and won't beleive a good thing is coming until they see it.

Every single year we play 3 teams that I think can play with any team in the country (bama, uga, and lsu). So every single year we have at least 3 games that are basically toss ups. Adding on to that is that this year I expect Ol Miss, Miss State, South Car, and Kansas state to be pretty good to really good teams. We could be a better team than last year and still lose 5 games this year and with those 5 loses may still be considered one of the top 25 teams in the country. THAT is how thin the margin of error is in the SEC!

Archived