This is set to be the golden age of Auburn football.

Like it or not dude has a valid point.

Not really. Actually, not even remotely.

But until we can look back and say "that was the golden age of AU football" then it hasn't happened yet

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned- and I don't expect anybody to have read, remembered or cared about my comments- that I don't predict any kind of golden age. We have no clue what the 2015 Auburn Tigers will look like, and two years does not an "age" make IMO. We can hope and pray that Gus doesn't try his hand in the NFL, and that Jeremy Johnson is as good as we want him to be, and that the loss of continuity on the OL after this season isn't meaningful, but we just don't know. But, this part of the conversation is about a given year, and for 2014...

So people are just pessimists and won't beleive a good thing is coming until they see it.

...we see it! I mean, it's right there, plain as day. We are putting the same product on the field that we did last season on offense, and while I don't assume the defense will be meaningfully better, I do assume that it won't be meaningfully worse. So what do you have when a team that was 13 seconds away from a national title comes back pretty much the same? A really good football team.

Every single year we play 3 teams that I think can play with any team in the country (bama, uga, and lsu). So every single year we have at least 3 games that are basically toss ups. Adding on to that is that this year I expect Ol Miss, Miss State, South Car, and Kansas state to be pretty good to really good teams. We could be a better team than last year and still lose 5 games this year and with those 5 loses may still be considered one of the top 25 teams in the country. THAT is how thin the margin of error is in the SEC!

Oh, I totally agree with that. We could be really good- which is all I'm saying we will be- and still lose 3-4 games in this conference. But do you honestly think we'll field a team that won't be able to score a touchdown against Ga Tech, as was the case in 2003? Do you honestly think we'll lose 36-0 to bama, as was the case in 2008?

Is it really possible to put a modicum of thought into the myriad differences and scant similarities between 2014 and past years of failure and still come away thinking that we shouldn't expect more in 2014?

Yes, a healthy amount of reservation in our predictions is called for. Proclaiming a title at this point is highly premature. But comparing the 2014 Auburn Tigers to the 2003 or even 2008 Auburn Tigers is about as valid as comparing 2014 Alabama to 2003 LSU. Oh, wait... it's not even close to being even that valid.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it....or something like that. I agree that the 2014 team has nothing in common with any team past 2011ish. But I also follow enough sports to know that past events sure do seem to affect future ones. But really its just ones personal out look on things on whether they believe that or not. You obviously don't so that is cool.

The defense better be better or we should start looking for Ellis' replacement! I don't think the idea behind "this is going to be the golden age of AU football" is based on the idea that we are going to be a really good team next year. I think it is based on the idea that we are going to compete for championships for an extended amount of time. My criteria is 10+ wins every year or atleast 4 out of 5 years.

No i don't think we'll field a team as underachieving as 03 or as bad as 08. But I didn't really think we would field teams like that in the spring before those seasons either....just saying. Heck I remember after we whipped Clemson in the bowl game in 07 I was telling my friends that AU was about to be dominant with Kodi at QB. I mean lok at what we had just done with Cox!! lol sounds silly to say that now!

I don't think its so much comparing 03 teams to this year team. As much as it is saying we we're Auburn in 03 and we are Auburn now.

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it....or something like that. I agree that the 2014 team has nothing in common with any team past 2011ish. But I also follow enough sports to know that past events sure do seem to affect future ones. But really its just ones personal out look on things on whether they believe that or not. You obviously don't so that is cool.

You're right. It's neither my prerogative nor my place to try to change people's minds. I just hate to see any Auburn fans not enjoying what, to me, feels like a dream off-season, if ever there were such a thing.

The defense better be better or we should start looking for Ellis' replacement! I don't think the idea behind "this is going to be the golden age of AU football" is based on the idea that we are going to be a really good team next year. I think it is based on the idea that we are going to compete for championships for an extended amount of time. My criteria is 10+ wins every year or atleast 4 out of 5 years.

Sounds about right to me.

No i don't think we'll field a team as underachieving as 03 or as bad as 08. But I didn't really think we would field teams like that in the spring before those seasons either....just saying. Heck I remember after we whipped Clemson in the bowl game in 07 I was telling my friends that AU was about to be dominant with Kodi at QB. I mean lok at what we had just done with Cox!! lol sounds silly to say that now!

True. Also guilty on that one.

I'll leave it at: War Eagle. Whether or not we win a lot of games this year or beyond, we couldn't ask to be in a much better place than we are right now.

If this is the Golden Age of Auburn Football, does that mean it's unreasonable to expect we go undefeated for the next 20 years? ... j/k, I'm sure we'll lose 1 or 2 along the way!

Her's my :jossun: :jossun: :jossun: forecast:

November 29, 2014 ... Nick Saban goes Woody Hayes on a defender who fails to make a tackle that could have prevented another heartbreaking Iron Bowl loss. Pundits begin discussing whether it is time for him to retire.

December 15, 2015 ... Nick Marshall becomes Auburn's 4th Heisman Trophy winner, narrowly edging Jameis Winston largely on the strength of his 300 yards passing/150 yards rushing in the Iron Bowl.

January 12, 2015 ... Auburn caps off a perfect season by winning the first College Football Playoff. In the championship game, we run up 64 points on FSU's defense while holding Jameis under 200 yards passing.

February 4, 2015 ... Two 5* Bama commits see the writing on the wall and flip to Auburn on NSD, giving Gus and staff the #1 recruiting class.

February 9, 2015 ... Nick says he wants to become a family man and decides to retire.

Auburn dominates the college football world for many years to come. The Malzahn coaching tree grows as competitors line up to hire away assistants who have touched the hem of Gus's visor. Crime goes up in Alabama as bammers express their frustration.

:wareagle:

Thats great.

Please, if you're going to put a wet blanket on expectations for this season, use facts concerning current players and coaches. Past performance does not predict future results. (If you claim it has, please show me one example.) We as a fan base may be conditioned to expect certain things (or be wary of expecting too much) because of past history, but none of the coaches or players currently at Auburn are affected by that history.

Please, if you're going to put a wet blanket on expectations for this season, use facts concerning current players and coaches. Past performance does not predict future results. (If you claim it has, please show me one example.) We as a fan base may be conditioned to expect certain things (or be wary of expecting too much) because of past history, but none of the coaches or players currently at Auburn are affected by that history.

Actually, I don't exactly agree with this. Putting heavy expectations on a team can backfire for any program; reminding people not to get too overly confident about the way things might play out is not such a bad thing, and the expectations going into this season are similar to those in 03 and 08. They are also similar to Michigan's 07 team, which lost the opener to Appalachian State and had every bit of wind knocked out of them, falling from the top 5 to an extremely mediocre season one year after coming within a field goal of playing for it all...

Actually, I don't exactly agree with this. Putting heavy expectations on a team can backfire for any program; reminding people not to get too overly confident about the way things might play out is not such a bad thing, and the expectations going into this season are similar to those in 03 and 08. They are also similar to Michigan's 07 team, which lost the opener to Appalachian State and had every bit of wind knocked out of them, falling from the top 5 to an extremely mediocre season one year after coming within a field goal of playing for it all...

Remind yourself Rednilla,I think the rest of us can manage our own expectations. You give fans way to much credit for influencing the level of motivation and outcome of the football team. I'm very bullish on this years team and the future of the program, but if they fall short or circumstances slow our momentum, I am mature enough to handle it.

At the risk of repeating myself, give me some facts about the current Auburn players and coaches that would make me expect anything less than a great season in 2014.

At the risk of repeating myself, give me some facts about the current Auburn players and coaches that would make me expect anything less than a great season in 2014.

We have an intricate pattern when it comes to flopping?

*kanyeshrugs*

WarEagle84,

Nick Saban will not retire for at least five years. That 7.5 million is guaranteed for five years. No way he is going to pass that up!

For the next five years, I think Bama gets one out of five Iron Bowl victories, two at most.

Let's all recall 2008 and 2003.

OK, I am willing to put my money where my expectations are. Wanna bet we will not be in the national championship game this year as well?

Never thought I would have to say this to AU fans... Anyone who knows me (and looks at my past posts) knows I am not a sunshine pumper either.

This team will be BETTER than last year's team, PERIOD!

Why? 2 years in the system, more comfortable, more experienced, coaches who work hard and know how to coach, and finally this team has more depth and is simply better prepared than they were last year. The only thing in our way is injuries. That is the only thing that could derail this year's team.

Let's all recall 2008 and 2003.

OK, I am willing to put my money where my expectations are. Wanna bet we will not be in the national championship game this year as well?

Never thought I would have to say this to AU fans... Anyone who knows me (and looks at my past posts) knows I am not a sunshine pumper either.

This team will be BETTER than last year's team, PERIOD!

Why? 2 years in the system, more comfortable, more experienced, coaches who work hard and know how to coach, and finally this team has more depth and is simply better prepared than they were last year. The only thing in our way is injuries. That is the only thing that could derail this year's team.

We will be better and the iron bowl winner will meet the uga/mizzou winner for the sec title. That's how it looks now, but I get the cautious optimism. We beat miss state by scoring a touchdown with like 15 seconds left, beat aTm on downs after scoring the winning touchdown with 1 minute left, beat uga on a 73 yard fourth and 18 prayer with like 30 seconds left and then barely stopped them on defense thanks to the clock, and ran a missed field goal back 109 yards with 1 second left to beat bama. Lots of games could have gone differently and our schedule looks tougher this year, minus the experienced qbs the other teams had last year.

We could be better this year and still not pull out a late game. However, this year and the next should be 10 win teams at least, but even the great USC teams of the 2000's only played in the BCS natty twice and won once and they were cheating. I think we will play for it all at least one more time in the next three years (although I know people are going to end up regretting this playoff committee whose going to use the eye test over everything that can actually be measured), but if they dont I wont be mad (too much lol).

It's not about expecting less than a great season. I expect the same, quite frankly, so while I could make a case against it, I don't have the inclination to do so because I believe the positive side of the argument is stronger. My point is that we should not get too far ahead of ourselves, because there are too many unknowns about everything, and if somehow things don't pan out the way we think they will and, say, we lose to Arkansas, what happens? Does the bubble of increasing fan support burst? Or do we pull together and continue supporting the team?

If you go back in the archives to the preseason last year, I was on the other side of this argument. I remember somebody said something about how unlikely it is for a team to improve their win total by more than three games from season to season, which meant 6-6 was the best we should hope for. I also remember pointing out that if we were able to get better each week, then it could be a special season. And there were plenty of people laughing at me for being too much of a homer (which I am, tbh).

See, I'm not talking about what you or anyone should or shouldn't believe about this year's team. I have issues with those who insist upon having "reasonable expectations," myself. No, what I'm talking about is maintaining a level head about everything (and that goes for every season, not just this one), because sometimes there are factors that are completely out of anyone's control which cause unexpected things to happen.

Remind yourself Rednilla,I think the rest of us can manage our own expectations. You give fans way to much credit for influencing the level of motivation and outcome of the football team. I'm very bullish on this years team and the future of the program, but if they fall short or circumstances slow our momentum, I am mature enough to handle it.

Do I now? So you're saying that when I joined in singing "It's Great to be an Auburn Tiger" while walking out of JHS in 09 after losing to Bama, effectively drowning out their cries of Rammer Jammer, that didn't have an impact on the team? You don't think that could have been the rock that gave them footing to go undefeated the following season, even if players from the 2010 team made statements to that effect?

And you're saying that the mass exodus of the fans that got played on SportsCenter in 2011 when Auburn was down two scores to Utah State late in the game didn't play into the way our players seemed to quit when the other team got up big, turning a 7-5 season (which was better than the prognosticators had us doing that year after losing a huge senior class, as well as the star QB) into what many considered a disappointment after the losses to UGA and UAT?

I'm very glad that you consider yourself mature enough to handle the swings, but I've been following Auburn football and moderating Auburn sports message boards long enough to know that there are plenty of those out there who cannot. THAT is why I responded the way I did, even if I wasn't the one who issued the reminder to which you referred.

Now, again, I have pretty high expectations for this year's team, myself. I sincerely believe the potential is there for this team to be the best in Auburn's history, and I know full well how much that is saying. But I also know that potential is nothing more than unrecognized energy, and until the season gets here, that's all it can be. I like the mantra of remaining humble amidst the confidence, so I don't think there is anything wrong with reminding fans (which is short for fanatics, remember) that anything can, and usually does, happen in college football. I hate it for you if you don't approve, but that's your problem, not mine.

I'd say the closest comparison for the 2014 team to a recent Auburn team would be the 2006 Auburn team. That team had high expectations with a returning QB, RB, O-line, and an improved defense in Will Muschamps 1st year as defensive coordinator but they laid eggs at home against Arkansas and Georgia.

Yes, other teams are replacing their QB but look at Auburn last year. Nick Marshall was in his 1st year at QB under Malzahn and we played for the national championship.

I'd say the closest comparison for the 2014 team to a recent Auburn team would be the 2006 Auburn team. That team had high expectations with a returning QB, RB, O-line, and an improved defense in Will Muschamps 1st year as defensive coordinator but they laid eggs at home against Arkansas and Georgia.

Yes, other teams are replacing their QB but look at Auburn last year. Nick Marshall was in his 1st year at QB under Malzahn and we played for the national championship.

Auburn also happened to have the best rushing attack in SEC history. That doesn't usually happen too many times.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very much looking forward to this season also. I would describe my view as guardedly optimistic. One of the areas I'm hoping to see is a much improved consistent passing game. If we can achieve good results here, I believe the sky will be the limit. If the passing game doesn't show much if any improvement I will be not so high in my expectations. Bottomline for me is the development of Nick Marshall and receivers.

I have several friends from other schools that have proudly professed that their dc's have been studying our offense all off season and watching what worked against us and what didn't, in detail - especially how lsu defends us and how we sometimes struggled after half time adjustments.

I agree that if we do exactly what we did last year it will be difficult to be as successful. However, what's wonderful about Gus' offense is that it has so many dimensions - and we probably showed only 40% last year - we're about to open up a new facet. It'll probably be a decade before its truly "figured out". And by then Gus will be on to ver "2.0" .

I do not think there is a coach in all of college football that can get as much from his players as CGM. The coaching staff is probably the best as long as I can remember going back 50 or so years. I think that bammer is starting the twilight years of Saban's tenure and will not be the teams as in the past 5 years. Yes, Saban has had number 1 rated classes for a good many years; However, I see a coach that knows his days as the ultimate force in the SEC, coming to an end in the not too distant future. Watch him go 9-3 this year or the next. You will see mass panic in the turd nation. Watch him go 9-3 or 8-5, two years in a row, he will likely retire and walk away.

Just my opinion of what could very well happen.

One other thing. The DCs and defensive coaches of the opposition, are basing their tactics on the 2013 team. This is the first fatal mistake they are engaging in. CGM knows this and is probably smiling knowing that the 2014 team will have so many added dimensions that will create an even worse nightmare than in 2010 and 2013. He actually has more weapons at his disposal than last season. I think we will beat up on Lsu like we have never seen before.

Lsu saw a different team last season than one that won the SEC and should have won the NC. Auburn was the only team in the country that could have beaten FSU. FSU would have lit up Lsu & Bammer if either had played them in the NC. The game with Kansas State is the toughest we will play in 2014. We beat them, we have an excellent chance of going 13-0 and heading into the NC play-off. I would love it if we are the only SEC team in the top 4 at the end of the season.

We are often compared to Oregon (the "spread" mislabel) which is obviously flawed besides the hunh attack - a power run game, top 10 recruiting, and a defense that will ultimately be a force in the conf. However, if you look at the amazing damage Oregon has caused with moderate talent and size, and you take it to the next level....

Combine Oregon's speed, Stanford's power attack, lsu level talent, and Gus' unique coaching and talent maximizing abilities. Frankenstein stuff.

Expectations for this season have been heightened due to last season's results, and of course most of the returning personnel rotation. So it's playoffs or bust for me. Although Malzahn achieved unheard of success in year one, it's also fair to keep in mind he was only a season removed from a team chock full of talent, some of which he recruited. Very few coaches land in that ideal of a rebuilding job.

Like others, I can't cosign with dynasty mode until after the 2015 season. I would like to see how a season transpires after heavy player turnover before proclaiming the dawn of an era. That's the difference between reloading and rebuilding...not just recruiting, but coaching and developing said recruits to effectively produce as to where there's very little downward movement in the win column.

I do not think there is a coach in all of college football that can get as much from his players as CGM. The coaching staff is probably the best as long as I can remember going back 50 or so years. I think that bammer is starting the twilight years of Saban's tenure and will not be the teams as in the past 5 years. Yes, Saban has had number 1 rated classes for a good many years; However, I see a coach that knows his days as the ultimate force in the SEC, coming to an end in the not too distant future. Watch him go 9-3 this year or the next. You will see mass panic in the turd nation. Watch him go 9-3 or 8-5, two years in a row, he will likely retire and walk away.

Just my opinion of what could very well happen.

As nice as that would be, we would have to compare him to Steve Spurrier and Pete Carroll. Spurrier is 69 years old (6 years older than Saban) and Carroll is the same age. Neither have shown any signs of slowing down. Say Nicky coaches until he is 70, that is still another 7 years which is an eternity in football world. IMO as long as he remains the HC at turd town they will (not necessarly win the SEC or NC every year) be a force.

I have several friends from other schools that have proudly professed that their dc's have been studying our offense all off season and watching what worked against us and what didn't, in detail - especially how lsu defends us and how we sometimes struggled after half time adjustments.

I agree that if we do exactly what we did last year it will be difficult to be as successful. However, what's wonderful about Gus' offense is that it has so many dimensions - and we probably showed only 40% last year - we're about to open up a new facet. It'll probably be a decade before its truly "figured out". And by then Gus will be on to ver "2.0" .

ROTFL!!! Your friends from other schools don't know what they are talking about then, because there's no secret to the offense Malzahn runs. It's a Wing T-based option/play action offense. It's been around for decades.

The thing about it is Gus doesn't remain stagnant. He prods defenses for weaknesses and exploits them. Sometimes he has to bait them into it. Others he notices a tendency, and designs a package to exploit that tendency. And then sometimes an offensive line will start dominating so much that you can just run the same play over and over, and the defense can't stop it, so you keep running it.

It's a chess match. Gus knows that. Defensive Coordinators in the SEC know it.

Average fans? Not so much.

ROTFL!!! Your friends from other schools don't know what they are talking about then, because there's no secret to the offense Malzahn runs. It's a Wing T-based option/play action offense. It's been around for decades.

The thing about it is Gus doesn't remain stagnant. He prods defenses for weaknesses and exploits them. Sometimes he has to bait them into it. Others he notices a tendency, and designs a package to exploit that tendency. And then sometimes an offensive line will start dominating so much that you can just run the same play over and over, and the defense can't stop it, so you keep running it.

It's a chess match. Gus knows that. Defensive Coordinators in the SEC know it.

Average fans? Not so much.

Well if that's the case than it looks like defenses are going to have to simply out-athlete Gus and this offense.

Archived