See What Happens With a Players Union

AU-24

New Orleans Saints star Jimmy Graham has actually filed a grievance through the NFL Players Association to challenge whether he should be considered a tight end or wide receiver for franchise-tag purposes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10896064/nflpa-files-grievance-behalf-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-star

He should file a grievance. They obviously use him as a WR and not a TE. But I guess you can't blame the team for trying to save money. It is a business after all.

"But it could speed up negotiations between the Saints and Graham's agent, Jimmy Sexton,....." That is all you need to know right there.

Great move by Graham. Huge difference in average pay, which means it's a grievance worth over $5 million if he wins. Whether you like unions or not, that's a great move. I'm pretty sure anyone would have done the same thing Graham did here.

"But it could speed up negotiations between the Saints and Graham's agent, Jimmy Sexton,....." That is all you need to know right there.

He's the best in the buisness.

I admit: I almost never watch pro football (just follow former Auburn players some). And I have no working knowledge of NFL salary scales/caps or Player Association policies.

But the idea of different salaries being mandated for different positions just seems ludicrous to me. IMO, a player should be paid based on his value to his team, not what position he plays or whether he's called a tight end or wide receiver (or QB, RB, LB, safety, etc.)...and certainly not based on where he lined up before catching the ball!

I admit: I almost never watch pro football (just follow former Auburn players some). And I have no working knowledge of NFL salary scales/caps or Player Association policies.

But the idea of different salaries being mandated for different positions just seems ludicrous to me. IMO, a player should be paid based on his value to his team, not what position he plays or whether he's called a tight end or wide receiver (or QB, RB, LB, safety, etc.)...and certainly not based on where he lined up before catching the ball!

The "franchise tag" means the team gets to keep you without negotiating a contract, but they have to pay a salary equivalent to the average of the 5 highest paid players at that position. Since there are more highly paid WRs than TEs, there is a significant difference.

The "franchise tag" means the team gets to keep you without negotiating a contract, but they have to pay a salary equivalent to the average of the 5 highest paid players at that position. Since there are more highly paid WRs than TEs, there is a significant difference.

Thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

Still seems pretty stupid to me, however....but what do I know? :blink:

It's great for the team. The tag allows them to keep a guy relatively risk-free since they don't have to negotiate a long-term contract (with more guaranteed money). Instead, they can string guys along (granted they are paid very well for the single season, but they lack long-term stability AND lose out on massive signing bonuses) instead of committing long-term money. The new idea of calling a guy like Graham a TE, then playing him between 65-75% of his snaps split wide in the formation, then franchising him as a TE to reduce his market comps... that's just a stroke of genius.

It's great for the team. The tag allows them to keep a guy relatively risk-free since they don't have to negotiate a long-term contract (with more guaranteed money). Instead, they can string guys along (granted they are paid very well for the single season, but they lack long-term stability AND lose out on massive signing bonuses) instead of committing long-term money. The new idea of calling a guy like Graham a TE, then playing him between 65-75% of his snaps split wide in the formation, then franchising him as a TE to reduce his market comps... that's just a stroke of genius.

Leave it to a lawyer to think like that. :poke:

Archived