Bammer HUNH angst continues:

homersapien

http://www.tidefans....ad.php?t=224352

What a bunch of arrogant hypocrites.

Started off parroting some of the arguments from Nick and Bert...but of course had no facts or statistics to support his position. But, it did not take too long for the writer to make it personal and about Gus which totally destroyed any semblance of objectivity......and just turned it into an anti-AU diatribe...but I guess that should have been expected.

Sorry I even visited the site...should have known better.

I just went to the site and after reading a couple of comments I could not stomach any more. It is pretty obvious the bammies are scared to death of Gus and anybody else who runs the HUNH. What a bunch of cry babies. They need to get their fat butts in shape and quit crying. It is where football is headed and we have the guy that wrote the book. ;D WDE!!!!!

I'm lazy and won't go into research mode, but I will admit the Bama poster is correct.

With fatigue comes a risk of injury..................that is why as a soccer player we were forced to run 20,000 yards of hard to meet timed suicides a day as well as all drills performed at game speed.

He says it may be less dangerous for well conditioned athletes..............that is why as a soccer player we were forced to run 20,000 yards of hard to meet timed suicides a day as well as all drills performed at game speed.

The fun part is that at least in the articles that I read that he looked at, none of the authors advocate changing the sports. What they suggest is identifying those that are at risk and developing strategies and training methods to prepare the athlete for the requirements and stresses of the competition......................that is why as a soccer player we were forced to run 20,000 yards of hard to meet timed suicides a day as well as all drills performed at game speed.

This though is my favorite from the Cortes et al. article that he cites

This raises two points: (i) the neuromuscular adaptations are dependent on the intensity of the exercise and duration of the activity, thus athletes may be injured earlier in the game/practice if played at a high level of intensity during short period, and (ii) training programs should focus on developing strategies to accommodate the biomechanical changes during fatiguing activities.

Football itself is designed around short period, high intensity moments.....regardless of the type of offense you run.....so we can't have football players getting fatigued due to risk of injury, and apparently we can't have football played at a highly intense level during the first quarter cause that's gonna increase risk of injury. So are we gonna have to establish rules to where the sport can only be played at a certain level for a certain period of time with all players wearing HR monitors.....15 yards for exceeding 40% of your maximum HR during the first quarter? and then what about subs? if a team has to sub after the first quarter and that player didn't participate in the first quarter do we then have to slow the game down again? or allow no substitutions after the first quarter?..........no can't do that... extreme regulation of substitutions is a soccer thing which apparently now equals it's dangerous to the athlete.

Or maybe they could focus on point number 2 of the quote.

I'm sorry. It's just hilarious to me that most of these guys that are Alabama fans are the same guys that would of given me crap and called me names for being a soccer player, and they are now turning to studies on female soccer players to tell the world what grave danger their manly men of steel unstoppable tougher than hell athletes are in.

And yes, there are linemen for Alabama that I will say with 100% certainty that if they tried to go through my club teams conditioning would have died.

Fact I'm gonna change my signature.

Yeah, to be honest there were some sensible posters. They weren't all whining about how Gus is changing football in a way that is just, somehow wrong.

Personally, I think the injury / condition thing is ridiculous. Hell, they use to play the game going both ways positionally.

Yeah, to be honest there were some sensible posters. They weren't all whining about how Gus is changing football that is just, somehow wrong.

Personally, I think the injury / condition thing is ridiculous. Hell, they use to play the game going both ways positionally.

It's an excuse for not playing the game in the image that some believe it should be played in. Wasn't Saban even quoted as saying is this the direction we want football to go.

Yeah, to be honest there were some sensible posters. They weren't all whining about how Gus is changing football that is just, somehow wrong.

It's an excuse for not playing the game in the image that some believe it should be played in. Wasn't Saban even quoted as saying is this the direction we want football to go.

Interesting to note that they all believe the way "Football ought to be" is the way they play it. :rolleyes:

God I hope we start a string against them. What would they do? Change their style?

Interesting to note that they all believe the way "Football ought to be" is the way they play it. :rolleyes:

God I hope we start a string against them. What would they do? Change their style?

I know, amazing coincidence isn't it. I guess something things just work out that way.

Whine more.

I can't wait for the Gus Bus version of "Fear the Thumb".

I don't doubt that being fatigued may contribute to a greater chance of injury. Seems like some of the studies cited showed similar results. My whole issue with the argument is that the OFFENSIVE team is out there just the same and thus subject to the same risk of injury from fatigue. So the HUNH coach is subjecting his players to a risk of injury IF THEY ARE NOT CONDITIONED for the continued activity. So get the defensive guys in condition like the offensive guys. And the current rules already allow for defensive substitutions when the offense substitutes.

I don't doubt that being fatigued may contribute to a greater chance of injury. Seems like some of the studies cited showed similar results. My whole issue with the argument is that the OFFENSIVE team is out there just the same and thus subject to the same risk of injury from fatigue. So the HUNH coach is subjecting his players to a risk of injury IF THEY ARE NOT CONDITIONED for the continued activity. So get the defensive guys in condition like the offensive guys. And the current rules already allow for defensive substitutions when the offense substitutes.

I guess a fast break basketball team is "dangerous" also.

I guess a fast break basketball team is "dangerous" also.

And soccer (futbol) too.....which has no time outs to give players a chance to rest and recover. After watching a little World Cup, seems there should be dead players all over the field from the essentially non-stop play.

Listen to any bama fan gloat while the tide is successfully running a power attack down another teams throat. A team has zero chance to stop them because they are weaker, smaller and slower. You won't hear a peep out of the tide fan base as those players are smashed and beaten to hell and back.

Where is the thread where the fans are worried about the safety of the players from smaller schools they play and put 60 points on?

If you can't stand the pain--don't play the game

I'm not clicking on that link - but if those dumb bammers actually knew anything about their players or coaches, they'd know that NS has been recruiting a more athletic/mobile player to handle the rigors of a HUNH opponent. They must think he is still going after big hosses like Dontae Hightower/T Cody/Jesse Williams, etc..... They are a clueless bunch.

Defensive players do expend more energy than offensive players for two reasons. One being the offensive players know where they are going, more energy is required to adjust by the defensive players. The second, that comes into line play, is that it costs less energy to redirect a object than to actually have to go through it..... blocking being a example.

Its more evident in sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, etc where you can actually watch a offensive use minimal effort and force a ton of work out of a defense through the use of passing.

Defensive players do expend more energy than offensive players for two reasons. One being the offensive players know where they are going, more energy is required to adjust by the defensive players. The second, that comes into line play, is that it costs less energy to redirect a object than to actually have to go through it..... blocking being a example.

Its more evident in sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, etc where you can actually watch a offensive use minimal effort and force a ton of work out of a defense through the use of passing.

I also think the main gripe about the HUNH is the offense's advantage of dictating who gets to substitute. The way the rules are, defenses are gambling if they substitute and the offense doesn't. That means the offense can just snap the ball before a defensive substitute can get off the field. The offense already has the advantage because they can decide to substitute or keep the same players on the field without getting a substitution penalty while the defense is at the mercy of the offense snapping the ball before they can get a player off the field.

I haven't seen any statistics but I bet with the HUNH offense there's been a huge jump in the number of defensive substitution penalties in the last 5 years.

I also think the main gripe about the HUNH is the offense's advantage of dictating who gets to substitute. The way the rules are, defenses are gambling if they substitute and the offense doesn't. That means the offense can just snap the ball before a defensive substitute can get off the field. The offense already has the advantage because they can decide to substitute or keep the same players on the field without getting a substitution penalty while the defense is at the mercy of the offense snapping the ball before they can get a player off the field.

I haven't seen any statistics but I bet with the HUNH offense there's been a huge jump in the number of defensive substitution penalties in the last 5 years.

Same thing they said about the forward pass, no fair to the defense because they get too tired!

Yes, that is an advantage to the offense, as is the offense controlling the snap count and when the play starts...but that is offset by the defense's advantage of being able to move and adjust freely after the offense is set.

Don't both teams offense play by the same rules? :-)

Don't both teams offense play by the same rules? :-)

Yep..it's not like one team is always the offense and the other is always the defense.....any coach that thinks the HUNH has inherent advantages over the opposing defense is free to run the HUNH offense too.

Yes, that is an advantage to the offense, as is the offense controlling the snap count and when the play starts...but that is offset by the defense's advantage of being able to move and adjust freely after the offense is set.

That's a different situation though. It's not the same. The offense still gets to line up. The offense can shift one player at a time, like a fullback or tight end. It doesn't affect their ability to substitute and get certain players on the field. The subsitutions on defense have to do with being able to get players on and off the field.

The HUNH isn't even really about X's and O's. It's about getting the defense out of position before the ball is even snapped. It's doesn't take much coaching to try and keep players from getting off the field. It's like flopping in basketball. It's trying to draw a penalty without executing anything. Anyone can snap the ball while someone is trying to get off the field, it doesn't take much skill.

Defenses are just going to have to come up with new packages so they don't have to substitue players as much and they can keep the same players on the field for different defensive alignments. If you're Alabama you want to stop Auburn on 1st down and make it 2nd and long. That will slow the pace down to allow you to substiute. Saban should just quit trying to get the rules changed. I can see both sides of the argument but Saban just needs to quit complaining to the NCAA. But that's what he does best. Even when he wins he's got to complain about something.

Archived