Note on "Situational" Defense, Part II

StatTiger

I previously broke down Auburn's defensive numbers, which revealed the 2013 Auburn defense was average overall but exceptional in situational play. Situational play being defined as third-down and red zone situations. This means the key for improvement in 2014, is playing more efficiently on 1st and 2nd downs. With this in mind, consider the following data...

• Last season Auburn was No. 84 nationally and No. 12 in the SEC in allowing first downs on first down.

• Breaking down plays defended on 1st and 2nd downs, Auburn was No. 94 nationally and No. 11 in the SEC in allowing first downs on 1st and 2nd downs.

Here is how the SEC teams compared defending 1st and 2nd down plays...

Alabama ................. No. 15

Georgia .................. No. 23

Florida .................... No. 24

S. Carolina .............. No. 31

Missouri .................. No. 40

LSU ........................ No. 47

Miss State ............... No. 58

Ole Miss .................. No. 62

Vanderbilt ............... No. 68

Kentucky ................. No. 92

Auburn .................... No. 94

Tennessee ............... No. 98

Texas A&M .............. No. 106

Arkansas ................. No. 114

* The above rankings are based on the pct of first-downs allowed on plays defended during 1st and 2nd down.

Performing better on the early downs will be the primary way Auburn can improve on defense in 2014. By forcing more "situational" plays, the Tigers will shave off the yardage and points allowed overall. This has been the theme of the Alabama defense under Nick Saban. By dictating the early downs, Alabama has been able to slowly suffocate the opposition.

Another area Auburn must improve upon is forced-turnovers. Last season Auburn was No. 100 nationally, forcing a turnover every 52.0 plays. This was 11th best among SEC teams. South Carolina was No. 1 in the SEC in this category and No. 5 nationally, forcing a turnover every 27.7 plays defended.

LutzattheGates1_zps6fd3ec2a.jpg

Awesome Pic of Lutz with what may be the Angel Gabriel!

I've said this a million times (nothing against Rod at all) but dang I miss Jim Fyffe! He is probably up there as I type saying: "Now Isaac and Jacob this is how you say it: Touchdoownnnnn Auburn!!!!!

Happy 4th Stat! I will selfishly miss Lutz, as I selfishly miss Jim!

Oh by the way.....another great article on AU's D!

Awesome Pic of Lutz with what may be the Angel Gabriel!

I've said this a million times (nothing against Rod at all) but dang I miss Jim Fyffe! He is probably up there as I type saying: "Now Isaac and Jacob this is how you say it: Touchdoownnnnn Auburn!!!!!

Happy 4th Stat! I will selfishly miss Lutz, as I selfishly miss Jim!

Oh by the way.....another great article on AU's D!

Rod will always have a difficult time out-doing Jim but his call on the Louis TD vs. UGA and the FG-Return against Bama were just as good as any call made by Jim. The hairs on my neck told me so... :hellyeah:

Happy :flag: to you bro!

Archived