2015 3* CB Chris Westry (Kentucky signee)

CameronCrazy

I'm not at all comfortable that this kid was so excited about coming to Auburn and thought he was safe with his commitment, getting the school he wanted and the coach he wanted. I'm glad he had the chance to find another school, but let's be honest, I don't necessarily think our coaches were at all loyal to this kid. From what I understand, they kind of gave him the cold shoulder. I certainly hope we don't start "processing" kids like Bama. It is just plain wrong, IMHO.

I'm not at all comfortable that this kid was so excited about coming to Auburn and thought he was safe with his commitment, getting the school he wanted and the coach he wanted. I'm glad he had the chance to find another school, but let's be honest, I don't necessarily think our coaches were at all loyal to this kid. From what I understand, they kind of gave him the cold shoulder. I certainly hope we don't start "processing" kids like Bama. It is just plain wrong, IMHO.

Unfortunately, this is part of Big Time Recruiting. It happens everywhere. I have a feeling the coaches have been talking to him about possibilities for a while. At least they helped him find another SEC school and didn't wait until the day before NSD to do it.

So now how many can we sign since this scholarship just became open.

8. Some did the numbers with him out anyway.

is it 8 or is it 9 is Shannon's offer a non grayshirt offer now?

It's 8 with Shannon Grayshirting. We can sign 28 but Golson counts as part of the class when he goes on Schoolt this Summer. Counting Gloson we have 20 players enrolled or set to enroll this Summer.

The coaches, especially the new ones, have no need to be loyal to him. They were brought here to help Gus win games. That's their job. He never had a commiable offer from Boom at Florida and Boom saw him as a safety not a corner. We don'y need any more safeties in this class. It would have just been a complete waste of a scholarship strictly from a football perspective. And AU did right by him putting feelers out with UK for him. Yes that's the right thing to do but they did not have to do that. They could have been like Bama and just left him out to dry. Very difficult situation and has already been said was handled by AU as good as they possibly could.

I guess if we can say that this happened primarily because there was a coaching change and a different system, not because we found better guys and decided we'd dump him, then I'm okay with it. I just don't want this to become standard operating procedure. There was something in that 3* that they liked in order to offer him so much earlier in the recruiting process. I wish him all the best and hope that he becomes a huge success at Kentucky. And I hope he loves it there and is happy. This has to hurt this kid and I don't like that part of it.

I guess if we can say that this happened primarily because there was a coaching change and a different system, not because we found better guys and decided we'd dump him, then I'm okay with it. I just don't want this to become standard operating procedure. There was something in that 3* that they liked in order to offer him so much earlier in the recruiting process. I wish him all the best and hope that he becomes a huge success at Kentucky. And I hope he loves it there and is happy. This has to hurt this kid and I don't like that part of it.

It won't be SOP now that the staff is in place. From this point on, they will offer the guys they feel have the chance to contribute and help the team in this system - both offensively and defensively. They won't offer someone and then decide to pull the offer later - the system won't change unless a coach leaves. If they offer, they mean it and the only time an offer would potentially be pulled is if that recruit is playing games or if they get involved in something that Auburn doesn't want to associate itself with, like legal or character issues.

There was something in that 3* that they liked in order to offer him so much earlier in the recruiting process.

The guys that offered him are literally all gone.

And no disrespect to Westry, but the reason why he initially received an offer was because we missed on all the initial top targets save for Bridges (who we lost eventually anyway) and seemed to just settle for taking him because we had no one else lined up. The story going around is that Muschamp was shocked at how poorly planned our defensive recruiting was; particularly at CB where we had little to no prospects. The new staff came in and offered like 5-6 brand new corners/nickels within a week.

JMO but he should be happy to get a full ride at an SEC school....instead of NW Ala State or somewhere...like bama usually dumps them too. Sounds like he found a better fit...what's the beef?

I guess if we can say that this happened primarily because there was a coaching change and a different system, not because we found better guy and decided we'd dump him, then I'm okay with it.
Well we did find better guys...for the system. Boom sees Westry as a safety as already said not ss a corner, Westry skill set is better used for zone defenses. Boom and T-Rob want man coverage, physical, in your face corners. That just simply is not Westry.
I just don't want this to become standard operating procedure.
It is SOP anytime there is a new HC, DC, or OC, And at nearly every school. Same thing happened with Jordan Wilkins 2 years ago when we hired Gus. As respectful as I can say it, my advice to you is not follow recruiting at AU closely anytime there's a new, HC, OC, or DC because I promise you there will be at least 1 commit each time that will not be a fit for the new system.
There was something in that 3* that they liked in order to offer him so much earlier in the recruiting process.
They being Coach Johnson and Coach Smith. They are not here anymore and Boom is not obligated to follow what they did.

I think he's going to be a monster. This is also I don't understand when people beat a kid up and say you commit to a school and not the coach, and when they leave early people say the used the school and all of that....

Good luck to westry, if he does prove to be awesome I hope it's not against us

I hope it was his choice not because his offer was pulled, we were all glad when he committed to AU and I would hope Gus would stand by his offer.

The offer was not pulled. It would have been honored had a stayed but he would not have been a great fit.

This is why fans shouldnt get bent out of shape when a player changes his mind and flips his committment. Colleges do this (even us) ,its just a part of big time recruiting that isn't pretty.

I wish the young man the best, and hope that he will have a good career at Kentucky. This will open up a slot for a 4 or 5 star player to come to Auburn. I will take this kind of trade off all day long!

I think he's going to be a monster. This is also I don't understand when people beat a kid up and say you commit to a school and not the coach, and when they leave early people say the used the school and all of that....

Got a feeling we may regret this one later on

The guys that offered him are literally all gone.

And no disrespect to Westry, but the reason why he initially received an offer was because we missed on all the initial top targets save for Bridges (who we lost eventually anyway) and seemed to just settle for taking him because we had no one else lined up. The story going around is that Muschamp was shocked at how poorly planned our defensive recruiting was; particularly at CB where we had little to no prospects. The new staff came in and offered like 5-6 brand new corners/nickels within a week.

Glad to hear this. Thanks man

I'd he doesn't fit the scheme then he's better off somewhere else. Better for him to go where he fits better. Good luck to him.

We actually helped him more than just putting in good words to other programs. With his AU committment he was bumped up to 3* pretty quickly. 3*'s usually get some D1 offers. However if you get processed on NSD that would be a problem. Just hope it works out for the best fo this kid. Life is a learning curve.

Maybe, but lets get real: this kid had few if any offers from top schools of our caliber. Even since going back on the market, look where he ends up: Kentucky. Florida is sitting at 8 freaking commits for this signing class; why weren't they all over him considering he is an in-state kid and they've got literally 0 DB's committed? Instead they are chasing the same guys we are also after: Javarius Davis, Jeremiah Dinson, DaVante Davis, Rashad Fenton, etc.

Maybe everyone is wrong about this kid; but it isn't overly likely. If he was some special talent at 6'4 every top team in the South would be lining up to take him. That isn't the case. Even when we took him it seemed like a case of "s***, all our top targets are going elsewhere...lets just take a flyer on this intriguing athlete and hope for the best".

regret it later on? I doubt it...we might see him a couple of times in his career .....hope he does well, gets a good education and enjoys playing in the SEC.

regret it later on? I doubt it...we might see him a couple of times in his career .....hope he does well, gets a good education and enjoys playing in the SEC.

Phillip rivers, Jordan Matthews, ameer Abdullah, just to name a few....

Phillip rivers, Jordan Matthews, ameer Abdullah, just to name a few....

Passing on those guys didn't hurt us directly