2015 3* P Ian Shannon commits to AU!

JFDTiger80

So if he (Hutch) decided to stay, and not transfer to another school to play, would his schooling still be paid for?

Not if his scholarship is not renewed and quite frankly, I don't think we're having this discussion if his scholarship is to be renewed. We need the room to stay under the 85 limit. Another way of saying it is he's being replaced by Shannon.

Hutch won't be on scholarship unless there is a verifiable injury approved by doctors that are independent of AU. (Saban Rule #92) In the case of a truly injured player, once he goes off football scholarship and onto medical scholarship he cannot return to playing football at the same school. We've heard nothing about an injury to Hurch, so I'm assuming he'll be taking his talents elsewhere if he wants to stay on an athletic scholarship.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does a punter's distance improve that drastically in college based on factors outside of just getting older and strength training?

From the story quoted above:

Scott said one of his keys to success is pilates. His dad introduced him to this type of exercise two years ago and Scott’s been hooked ever since. He works mostly on his own at Alabama, though some of the strength coaches help him out. And anytime he goes back home to Colorado, he sees a special coach.

“It really helps with flexibility and strength and core, and helps in terms of strength and getting the ball down the field,” Scott said.

Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran mostly stays out of Scott’s way when it comes to weight training.

“I try to do as little as possible because he’s got a certain way he does everything and I don’t want to get in the way of that,” he said. “He’s probably more in tune to his body than any freshman I’ve ever seen.”

Pilates, coupled with “constantly doing my drops,” and pool work is how Scott prepares to be one of the best punters in the nation. He was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award this season, which is given to the most outstanding college punter.

Good info. Thanks.

Meta, I usually agree with you on most things, but that being said, by the logic you just used would mean that since CRG was an OL, he shouldn't be anywhere near our DL...

Its very common to see coaches play one position and coach another.

Those two things aren't even remotely similar. OL and DL are still based around the same fundamental principles; thus a guy who played OL is going to be able to pick up the "technique" behind playing DL as well, and if he's good enough at instructing he can indeed "coach" DL. Kicking and Punting on the other hand is not alike to anything else in the game of football, period. You're talking about entirely different bio-mechanical movements.

And I have to agree with Oregon Tiger. CSF is in fact the special teams coach. He is responsible for the special teams. Kicking and punting is part of special team duty. Thus the special teams coach MUST have some sort of responsibility with those guys.

You can believe whatever you want to believe; I can tell you for a fact that Scott Fountain isn't standing back there giving technical "pointers" on how to kick or punt the ball better. When we recruit these guys we put heavy emphasis on the opinions of EXPERTS at kicking camps like Kohl's...hence why every HS Kicker/Punter we sign tends to be "ranked" extremely highly by outside sources.

So our special teams coach doesn't give pointers on how to get better at kicking the ball? If that is really the case he should be fired on the spot. That's like saying the qb coach doesn't give pointers on how to throw the ball better...not buying it

So our special teams coach doesn't give pointers on how to get better at kicking the ball? If that is really the case he should be fired on the spot. That's like saying the qb coach doesn't give pointers on how to throw the ball better...not buying it

Explain to me why you believe that Scott Fountain would know the ins and outs of optimally kicking a football. You are talking about the one position on the football field where the player is more or less expected to coach themselves because they are the ones who have kicked the ball thousands of times. Cody Parkey was training with a former NFL Kicker since the 8th grade...you think Boulware or Fountain were teaching him how to kick?

I already explained why your QB coach analogy doesn't apply at all. Try reading next time.

Archived