2015 3* P Ian Shannon commits to AU!

JFDTiger80

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Shannon will make a great addition. He seems to understand exactly what he needs to work on to get better. I imagine he will have a few conversations with Coach Russell about this too.

The 2016 date, if true, changes things. If 2016 is correct, then the staff doesn't have any sort of problem with Carlson doing double duty and is, indeed, recruiting Shannon to do double duty as well. Otherwise they'd want Shannon on board ASAP.

He must have a pretty strong leg if his coach wanted him to kick a 58 yard field goal. He missed it, but his coach obviously had faith in him.

The 2016 date, if true, changes things. If 2016 is correct, then the staff doesn't have any sort of problem with Carlson doing double duty and is, indeed, recruiting Shannon to do double duty as well. Otherwise they'd want Shannon on board ASAP.

Not necessarily. Gus could feel he's in a numbers crunch based on his preferences in this class and want Ian to enroll January 2016 due to that.

He must have a pretty strong leg if his coach wanted him to kick a 58 yard field goal. He missed it, but his coach obviously had faith in him.

FWIW he nailed a 60 yarder when he kicked for the AU coaches this Summer.

Congrats to this kid. He is a talent. I will try and tell him myself as he goes to my alma mater just down the street. Also please no knocking on Hutch. He lost his dad last year and who are we to say he is a bust. He may need time to get his mind right. I understand the coaches covering themselves though.

Wow. I can tell you that where I played high school ball at, a 58 yd attempt wouldn't even be remotely considered. Nailing a 60 ydr? Holy smokes. :)

Not necessarily. Gus could feel he's in a numbers crunch based on his preferences in this class and want Ian to enroll January 2016 due to that.

More necessarily than not.

Wow. I can tell you that where I played high school ball at, a 58 yd attempt wouldn't even be remotely considered. Nailing a 60 ydr? Holy smokes. :)

Impressive!!

Sounds like coach Malzahn has changed his mind about offering kickers.

When coach came on we already had two highly rated kickers who were freshman. There was no need for another kicker yet. With one of the kickers not living up to expectations so far that could change he saw a need and acted on it. Nobody recruits scholarship kickers every year . Probably won't recruit another kicker for at least another 2 years.

kicked it in camp and not a game, doesn't mean much.

Even though it's easier in that setting it's still impressive and nothing to belittle like that.

Think a minute here. If Gus didn't want Carlson to do double duty and that's why he's offered Shannon, Shannon would be coming in ASAP. Delaying Shannon's participating on the team by a full year can only mean that Gus doesn't mind the double duty. If he minded, Shannon wouldn't be putting off coming in for a season.

Numbers don't matter. If he goes on scholarship in January of 2016 he'll count back on 2015, just as he would have if he enrolled with the rest of the '15 class.

Wow. I can tell you that where I played high school ball at, a 58 yd attempt wouldn't even be remotely considered. Nailing a 60 ydr? Holy smokes. :)/>

Means he can kick it.

Even though it's easier in that setting it's still impressive and nothing to belittle like that.

Belittle like that?? Belittle is what you do almost daily with other members comments.

It is actually common for D1 kickers/prospects to hit 60 yd + field goals in camps, practice, etc. these days. FWIW

They are much better trained and spend much more time specializing than even just 10 years ago.

Belittle like that?? Belittle is what you do almost daily with other members comments.

It is actually common for D1 kickers/prospects to hit 60 yd + field goals in camps, practice, etc. these days. FWIW

They are much better trained and spend much more time specializing than even just 10 years ago.

It is still very impressive. Kicking in front of coaches that will determine if you get a scholarship to the school you dream of going to does put pressure on you.

The other thing lost in this is that at least for now, Shannon is being recruited to punt, not kick field goals. I bet he gets a chance to kick off too. Great leg.

It is still very impressive. Kicking in front of coaches that will determine if you get a scholarship to the school you dream of going to does put pressure on you.

The other thing lost in this is that at least for now, Shannon is being recruited to punt, not kick field goals. I bet he gets a chance to kick off too. Great leg.

It didn't determine if he got a scholarship or not, they basically offered after settling on Carlson to be punter(8/25/14). Not questioning his ability, just simply stating that if you go to the sites that rank kickers/punters this is common these days. I could further explain the difference of kicking in a game and timing and a snap and ball being placed, but any kicker that can kick a 50 yard field goal can kick a 60 yarder on a block and no snap, hold or rush.

It didn't determine if he got a scholarship or not, they basically offered after settling on Carlson to be punter(8/25/14). Not questioning his ability, just simply stating that if you go to the sites that rank kickers/punters this is common these days. I could further explain the difference of kicking in a game and timing and a snap and ball being placed, but any kicker that can kick a 50 yard field goal can kick a 60 yarder on a block and no snap, hold or rush.

According to Shannon himself the offer came in June or early July while he was at the AU kicking camp.

Think a minute here. If Gus didn't want Carlson to do double duty and that's why he's offered Shannon, Shannon would be coming in ASAP. Delaying Shannon's participating on the team by a full year can only mean that Gus doesn't mind the double duty. If he minded, Shannon wouldn't be putting off coming in for a season.

Numbers don't matter. If he goes on scholarship in January of 2016 he'll count back on 2015, just as he would have if he enrolled with the rest of the '15 class.

You know, it's possible that Malzahn is approaching it this way not because "the staff doesn't have any sort of problem with Carlson pulling double duty", but rather because they are comfortable enough with Carlson doing double duty that they want to separate the two as much, eligibility-wise, as possible. Might also be giving Hutch time to work through his grieving period, meaning we could see him punting later this year or next year. There's no way for us to know for sure.

Archived