I keep thinking about changing our personnel

SKIPPER_01

We are 3-0. Aren't we?

Some people are just not happy unless they can find something to pick at. There is always going to be something that the team is or isn't doing that doesn't suit them and they just want to pick at it and gripe about it. Too many armchair coaches.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with the OP, but this may be the most over the top response to an idea I've seen on this forum. Brutal.

Well, it's just so cliched. It's like he purposely set out to be the embodiment of the hackneyed saying that "the most popular guy on the team is always the backup QB."

Not really. He also said the best DB was Marshall, which may be true, and is an area of weakness.

That part was just unsubstantiated. He hasn't played DB in over 2 years now. There's no indication that he could just pick it right back up and be our best DB. Not to mention that leaves us in a precarious spot if JJ went down. You've yanked Marshall out of the mix at QB and have a true freshman as the backup. Having to then pull him back over to offense and get him back in sync and then hole that would leave in the secondary (assuming he was as good as you thought over there)...it's just an idea rife with holes.

I wasn't defending the move or agreeing with the suggestion. With this comment I was just pointing out it was not, as you said, just "the embodiment of the hackneyed saying that "the most popular guy on the team is always the backup QB.""

Again, I understand a swift dismissal of the idea, but the pile on for a single post was a bit much. I've seen far worse posts that were coupled with know-it-all arrogance and then obnoxiously defended. If he had engaged in a less than rational back and forth, I would get it. But this seemed to have a group-think bullying mentality to it.

Meh. Goofy, utterly predictable ideas get pummeled. And minus 1 point for including the word "bullying" in this.

Dismiss the idea, even with a little dig if you want. But this guy is hardly known for complaining, whining or irrational ideas. He's a member of the board who likely reads a lot and posts infrequently. He received a PC Chump-like response from several people which was way over the top. And I first hesitated on using the word "bullying," knowing the response it would get, but I put it back in because it fit-- deal with it.

Well, the lynchpin of the whole deal is that we need a change at QB because, as he opened with, "the KState gameplan on how to stop our rushing attack is going to be everyone's gameplan moving forward." And despite the order in which he placed them, two of his three reasons (not counting the opening statement) revolved around his perceived ineffectiveness of the offensive side of things. The rest was just imagined side benefits and window dressing.

It wasn't bullying.

I disagree with the OP, but this may be the most over the top response to an idea I've seen on this forum. Brutal.

Well, it's just so cliched. It's like he purposely set out to be the embodiment of the hackneyed saying that "the most popular guy on the team is always the backup QB."

Not really. He also said the best DB was Marshall, which may be true, and is an area of weakness.

That part was just unsubstantiated. He hasn't played DB in over 2 years now. There's no indication that he could just pick it right back up and be our best DB. Not to mention that leaves us in a precarious spot if JJ went down. You've yanked Marshall out of the mix at QB and have a true freshman as the backup. Having to then pull him back over to offense and get him back in sync and then hole that would leave in the secondary (assuming he was as good as you thought over there)...it's just an idea rife with holes.

I wasn't defending the move or agreeing with the suggestion. With this comment I was just pointing out it was not, as you said, just "the embodiment of the hackneyed saying that "the most popular guy on the team is always the backup QB.""

Again, I understand a swift dismissal of the idea, but the pile on for a single post was a bit much. I've seen far worse posts that were coupled with know-it-all arrogance and then obnoxiously defended. If he had engaged in a less than rational back and forth, I would get it. But this seemed to have a group-think bullying mentality to it.

Meh. Goofy, utterly predictable ideas get pummeled. And minus 1 point for including the word "bullying" in this.

Dismiss the idea, even with a little dig if you want. But this guy is hardly known for complaining, whining or irrational ideas. He's a member of the board who likely reads a lot and posts infrequently. He received a PC Chump-like response from several people which was way over the top. And I first hesitated on using the word "bullying," knowing the response it would get, but I put it back in because it fit-- deal with it.

Well, the lynchpin of the whole deal is that we need a change at QB. The rest was just imagined side benefits and window dressing.

It wasn't bullying.

And this guy who rarely posts becomes the focal point of everyone frustrated with those griping about the QB, even though his post wasn't that critical of Marshall.

MOD FIGHT! :laugh:

And this guy who rarely posts becomes the focal point of everyone frustrated with those griping about the QB, even though his post wasn't that critical of Marshall.

Well, you put an idea out there you know is going to invite it (as evidenced by his "flame away" ending), you gotta have thick enough skin to take it.

I'm not going to sort through this whole thread, but, this isn't last season. We no longer have Prosch, Robinson, and Mason. This season's version of the O-line isn't going to allow the RB to go between the tackles as much as it did last year. Whether or not the world has figured out how to defend the zone read or not, I can't say. What I do believe is that Ryan Mueller knew where the ball was going nearly every down. He was fooled precious few times, and won't be the last. As a whole the offensive scheme seemed to be interrupted to the point either Malzahn or Lashlee went on tilt. They were not able to execute what I figured the game plan would be based on watching every other game they've coached. To be honest, it felt the same way watching the SJSU game. Things just weren't clicking with Marshall (regardless of the SJSU score and game stats from either). Now... One thing I did perceive is that the o-line is giving Marshall a decent amount of time in the pocket to throw a ball. Marshall's accuracy is fair to good, why are those receivers dropping passes. Will those passes be caught if Johnson is throwing them? Y'all go ahead and flame me too. There are deficiencies in this offense and play calling therein.

3 games into the season and people really want to define what our team is...we don't even know what we had 3 games into the season last year and look how that turned out...we played our worse game of the year(offensively) and still won...i didn't hear any calls last year to move NM to cornerback with his lack of passing then so why start now ...Sometimes i think people don't have enough faith in our coaching staff and then to question the play calling is ridiculous...this week we play La Tech which should be a tune up game and prepare us for the meat of our schedule...let's just pump our breaks right now

I for one think everyone has figured out our "gimmicky" "high school" offense. We should just cut our losses and fire Gus and hire a "good" head coach like Arkansas did. We should have never hired a high school coach. They clearly can't win in the SEC. Except for arguably the best Iron bowl win in recent history, winning the SEC championship and coming within a nats ass of winning a National Championship. Other than that he's garbage.

For the record, here are our rushing stats through three games compared to last season. And it's why I think the panic by some is overblown.

Game 1

2013 Washington State - 295 yds, 6.4 yds per carry

2014 Arkansas - 302 yds, 6.3 yds per carry

Game 2

2013 Arkansas State - 301 yds, 6.0 ypc

2014 San Jose St. - 358 yds, 7.2 ypc

Game 3

2013 Mississippi St. - 120 yds, 3.3 ypc

2014 Kansas St. - 128 ydss, 2.8 ypc

Totals through 3 games

2013 - 716 yds, 5.4 yds per carry

2014 - 788 yds, 5.5 yds per carry [edited to correct total yardage]

The season has progressed very similar to last year, but even without Prosch, Mason and Robinson AND with an entire offseason for opponents to study our running game, we're ahead of where we were. This is why the hand-wringing and worrying about whether teams have "figured out" Gus or that future opponents will use the Kansas State game film are beyond overblown and premature. People had a blueprint to look at in Game 3 last year with Mississippi State and it didn't seem to do them any good. Step back from the ledge.

For the record, here are our rushing stats through three games compared to last season. And it's why I think the panic by some is overblown.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Totals through 3 games

2014 - 888 yds, 6.2 yds per carry

The season has progressed very similar to last year, but even without Prosch, Mason and Robinson AND with an entire offseason for opponents to study our running game, we're ahead of where we were. This is why the hand-wringing and worrying about whether teams have "figured out" Gus or that future opponents will use the Kansas State game film are beyond overblown and premature. People had a blueprint to look at in Game 3 last year with Mississippi State and it didn't seem to do them any good. Step back from the ledge.

+1

I wonder if the people of the Pac12 feel that Wash St gave them the blueprint in stopping Oregon?

AU won ugly at KSU. Wonder if LSU and Missouri fans would trade places today?

Damn Skippy (skipper),

Shame on you for voicing a dissenting opinion. Next time please remember to ask 'Mother may I' or try waiting out with the ever popular 'Simon says' routine. Perhaps it'd be best to simply sing kumbaya in the corner all by yourself. Not that we agree, although I was also recently publicly lambasted, for merely mentioning JJ and gaining game time experience. Please, post more.... The same lameness is dang near pathological by many of the 5,000+ post set. Yes, they'll all get b'hurt over this too, as they fail to notice their arguing over the most trivial is allowed ad nauseam infinitum. Jus as long as it doesn't noticeably rock the party boat fun.

For the record (if you've not noticed) posting displeasure over the quarterback is taboo, locked tight, and MOD'urally chastised toute de suite. While linebackers, wide receivers, and other school coaches are faerie tale fair for flaming upon. Yes, bad idea there, but I commend your back boned fore knowledge of this... please flame on again. Such manliness seems chaste demeanor by the ever gay conscious police.

Damn Skippy (skipper),

Shame on you for voicing a dissenting opinion. Next time please remember to ask 'Mother may I' or try waiting out with the ever popular 'Simon says' routine. Perhaps it'd be best to simply sing kumbaya in the corner all by yourself. Not that we agree, although I was also recently publicly lambasted, for merely mentioning JJ and gaining game time experience. Please, post more.... The same lameness is dang near pathological by many of the 5,000+ post set. Yes, they'll all get b'hurt over this too, as they fail to notice their arguing over the most trivial is allowed ad nauseam infinitum. Jus as long as it doesn't noticeably rock the party boat fun.

For the record (if you've not noticed) posting displeasure over the quarterback is taboo, locked tight, and MOD'urally chastised toute de suite. While linebackers, wide receivers, and other school coaches are faerie tale fair for flaming upon. Yes, bad idea there, but I commend your back boned fore knowledge of this... please flame on again. Such manliness seems chaste demeanor by the ever gay conscious police.

+100

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Totals through 3 games

I agree that the handwringing is premature. In both 2010 and 2013, the first three games did not portend our offensive success. But I'm not sure the assessment that we are "ahead of where we were " is the most apt. In 2010 and 2013 we weren't really sure what our QBs could do in game conditions. It stands to reason that we start this season ahead of where we started last season. Everything may come together very nicely, but folks had reason to think the offense would look smoother coming out of the gate.

Nawh... just appreciate a dissenting opinion.

It helps to reinforce the smugness of my own oft over-inflated self importance.

I can appreciate a dissenting opinion. I prefer that they be well thought out though. This call for JJ and moving NM is an emotional panic reaction not based in reality.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Totals through 3 games

Good info. 2014 total should be 788 instead of 888 if the stats from the first 3 games are accurate. Either way more yards versus competition that is probably slightly better or at least as good as the first 3 teams we played last year - can't be too concerned with that.

As to the original post, no need for wholesale changes after 1 game in which the offense struggled. But given the struggles to consistently move the ball & put points on the board against K State AND given CGM indicating many times that JJ would play more this year, I have no idea why he wasn't given a series or two. It's not like it would have disrupted our flow; there was none.

Archived