***Auburn vs. Mississippi State Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

Congrats to MSU they outplayed and out coached us. Nuff said, time to address the issues and get better. LSU is not very good and maybe we were lulled into a false sense of accomplishment after that win. More football to play.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was thinking at least the 3rd quarter o was better. Got a touchdown and almost another red zone trip on the bomb to sammie that was called back. There's a positive note to end on

We have a lot of work to do on offense. I think Nick played a good game. It may help if we roll him out some so he has the option to either run or throw. Gus was very stubborn at times with play calling. We have to block A LOT better....Oline, WRs, HB and TEs. I'd like to see CAP and Roc split carries.

21 points on turn overs. Game would be 23-17. Turn Overs kill...

How many turnovers did MSU have?

Not as many as we had inside the 30 on our side of the field. We gave them points on all our errors. They gave us points on one play. Just a mess. Overall we lost to a good team, I just hate to see turnovers drive the opposing teams score up and finish us off.

Guest jojo1515

We have a lot of work to do on offense. I think Nick played a good game. It may help if we roll him out some so he has the option to either run or throw. Gus was very stubborn at times with play calling. We have to block A LOT better....Oline, WRs, HB and TEs. I'd like to see CAP and Roc split carries.

Either Roc has not picked up blocking schemes at all or Gus sees something in CAP that no one else does. Im guessing it the latter since he continued to give CAP the ball up the middle with a 2 percent chance that the play would succeed. I knew when were going to run up the middle and I expected a 2 yard loss every time. The zone read this year is no longer a read. It is simply a sideline called handoff or qb run. Something has to give immediately. I like CAPs work ethic, but he isnt our best option.

I think, and this may be just wishful thinking, that we will see these guys again. We won't play this bad a second time.

I agree. I will be the first to admit that MSU is the better team as of tonight. But assuming we get better with time, on a neutral field without the horrific start, I like our chances.

I don't see state losing 2. Our best bet would be to win out and ole miss win all of there games except auburn. That will make it a three way tie. Being that we lost first could serve us well to pass the others and be the highest ranked among the 3. That is if it still works that way. I still think we win out. The entire game just seemed like we were going to come back and win. I felt like we are the better team. But we had enough chances to make a game of it. Miss state made touchdowns on their drives when we could not punch it in while in the red zone. I don't know why we have to go all out dig a hole we can't get out of. We have a snowball game every year it seems where everything goes wrong. I still say we do not lose another game.

Either Roc has not picked up blocking schemes at all or Gus sees something in CAP that no one else does. Im guessing it the latter since he continued to give CAP the ball up the middle with a 2 percent chance that the play would succeed. I knew when were going to run up the middle and I expected a 2 yard loss every time. The zone read this year is no longer a read. It is simply a sideline called handoff or qb run. Something has to give immediately. I like CAPs work ethic, but he isnt our best option.

Agree. I mean it's hard to sit a guy that has gained 100 yards each game but I do think we need to look at the bigger picture and I think that's why we did see more of Roc as the game went on. I think it's going to be hard for Gus to not keep trying to ride CAP but this could be a wake up call. Roc is just explosive and we have not even got a chance to see what Peyton could do. Only thing that concerns me with Roc is he can be lose with the ball and although I love to see those spin moves...he could spin into a BIG hit and out comes the football. It's not high school but the payoff is bigger with Roc though...so much bigger IMO. We'll just have to see what happens.

21 points on turn overs. Game would be 23-17. Turn Overs kill...

Auburn had 13 points off turnovers. They still lose. Auburn scored two touchdowns. One was a complete breakdown in coverage and the other was on a tremendous catch that only a select few receivers in FBS could catch. Luckily, Auburn has one of those players.

As i said this is the freaking weirdest game. The first quarter we deserved to be blown out and done for... and we should have been. The second quarter we actually deserved to be tied or retake the lead. We won the third quarter if it was not for two very very timely calls. The 4th the weight and the uphill climb just finally got to us.

It's funny, but after the first two possessions, I thought to myself, well if that's going to happen, much better it happens at the very beginning of the game. I had confidence we could make it up. And the defense was playing well enough for us to do so.

We just never got into a groove. Never found our mojo.

I give MSU a lot of credit for that. Their defense was swarming and there was no way they were going to let us have the edges. They played very well and deserved the win.

I think Nick played a good game. It may help if we roll him out some so he has the option to either run or throw.

I like this. Nick throws VERY well on the run, to boot.

I think Nick played a good game. It may help if we roll him out some so he has the option to either run or throw.

Agreed. I think Nick might throw better on the run. Plus the option to tuck and run.

Agreed. I think Nick might throw better on the run. Plus the option to tuck and run.

He does seem to be more accurate on the move. It prevents tipped balls, opens up the run more for Nick....plus allows our WRs to work the field more. He's at his best when his playing "back yard football" IMO. Less thinking and more reacting. It just gives the defense something else to think about and plan for. Just a thought.

What are the odd roc starts getting more carries?

Not nearly as good as we want them to be Im afraid. I never thought Barber would have so little playing time either. Coaches know best I guess, but Ive given up on anyone getting many carries other than CAP.

Nick has trouble seeing passing lanes because the line is huge. When he rolls out he is deadly. That's where Johnson has a huge advantage. Johnson doesn't have passes batted down.

don't know if this team can do it, but if we win out, with our schedule and the way all the top teams are losing, we still have a good shot to get in the playoffs

Not to overlook SCe but we got two weeks to correct the mistakes on offense or we could easily be lookin at 2 losses.

don't know if this team can do it, but if we win out, with our schedule and the way all the top teams are losing, we still have a good shot to get in the playoffs

Not to overlook SCe but we got two weeks to correct the mistakes on offense or we could easily be lookin at 2 losses.

I should say 3 weeks (forgot about the open date) Mississippi may well be better than Miss St.

Roc looked good, Duke was nasty, D played decent, special teams killed us, drops killed us, turnovers killed us, and getting three points off of those three or four redzone trips killed us. Gotta pull for bama against these guys. Sux, but it is what it is. We still have hope. No worries.

Roc looked good, Duke was nasty, D played decent, special teams killed us, drops killed us, turnovers killed us, and getting three points off of those three or four redzone trips killed us. Gotta pull for bama against these guys. Sux, but it is what it is. We still have hope. No worries.

I like that short and sweet summary.

Archived