Playoff poll discussion here (merged threads)

tigerman1186

Quote from the article: "....the gang unleash their first top 25 rankings on a ravenous and inherently paranoid public." Now, there's a great line!

I don't think we'll see two teams from the same conference in the playoffs unless the entire rest of the country can't put up a viable, one-loss team as an option. If hairs are to be split, rest assured they will split in favor of NOT having two from the same conference.

Our best bet to get in is to win out and have MSU drop two. Any other scenario and it's doubtful for us.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from the article: "....the gang unleash their first top 25 rankings on a ravenous and inherently paranoid public." Now, there's a great line!

I don't think we'll see two teams from the same conference in the playoffs unless the entire rest of the country can't put up a viable, one-loss team as an option. If hairs are to be split, rest assured they will split in favor of NOT having two from the same conference.

Our best bet to get in is to win out and have MSU drop two. Any other scenario and it's doubtful for us.

The SEC will self-sort and make that easier to deal with in December...but now at least I doubt they will make any particular effort to have a diverse ranking.....later....yep, expect they probably will.

I thought this worth posting because folks all over the internet and even the printing media are already getting it wrong. This is the website for The Committee's protocal http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol and it specifically provides:

"Some of the guidelines and protocols expected to be established to guide the committee would include, but not be limited to, the following:

• While it is understood that committee members will take into consideration all kinds of data including polls, committee members will be required to discredit polls wherein initial rankings are established before competition has occurred (emphasis added); (i.e. no considering PRE-season polls)
  • Any polls that are taken into consideration by the selection committee must be completely open and transparent to the public; (i.e. they may factor in any poll published in public media)"

They don't have to, but they can.

If we win out, I would say there is a very high percentage that we go regardless of what Mississippi St. does. We will have beaten three teams possibly ranked in the top ten (Ole Miss, Georgia, Alabama). It's crazy to see some of you doubting if we would make it in that scenario.

There is still so much football left to be played and some teams will get better, some will suffer the injury bug and get weaker, some will implode and some will dominate.

Auburn has a huge elimination game coming up vs OleMiss in Oxford in a few days. IMO, the loser of that game pretty much seals their fate for the rest of the season.

Regardless of the 1st playoff poll, I see great potential for fsu to get upended Thursday night (not a prediction, just a possibility) and frankly, I see MSU losing two games before the end of the year. As much as I hate them, uat has not lost to MSU since '07 (uat went 6-6, 4-4 that year) and if Gurly DOES get re-instated to thUGA, as much as I hate to admit it, I think they're a sneaky-superior team to MSU (frankly, they might be even with Chubb as their back) because of their defense and playing at "home" in the SECCG.

So, if that WERE to happen (again, not a prediction) and Auburn were to take care of their business the rest of the year, it would be real interesting to see how the committee would handle the SEC's invitation, seeing as to how AU would be #1 in the AP poll...ahead of the SEC champion...

Bottom line is a 4 team playoff may very well create MORE criticism and problems than the BCS. They needed at least 6 and probably 8.

These folks aren't living in a vacuum somewhere, cut off from the outside world are they? I expect that most, if no all of them respect that other people in the sports world have valid and objective ideas about which teams are the better ones. Like making a business decision...you listen to the people who know/understand the issues and then make the best decision taking all relevant information into account. So why would we think that the media polls might NOT be considered? Why ignore them? Don't have to duplicate them but historically, they are pretty good....it's likely the polls and the official rankings will not differ much.

If we win out, I would say there is a very high percentage that we go regardless of what Mississippi St. does. We will have beaten three teams possibly ranked in the top ten (Ole Miss, Georgia, Alabama). It's crazy to see some of you doubting if we would make it in that scenario.

In this first year nobody knows just how the committee is going to do things. If two SEC teams get in the cry of bias will ring out loud. Now do they want to avoid hearing that and going out of their way to not appear biased? Nobody knows. It is very possible they put in four teams from different areas. Just have to wait and see. If Auburn can't learn to play a complete game, this will be a moot point.

These folks aren't living in a vacuum somewhere, cut off from the outside world are they? I expect that most, if no all of them respect that other people in the sports world have valid and objective ideas about which teams are the better ones. Like making a business decision...you listen to the people who know/understand the issues and then make the best decision taking all relevant information into account. So why would we think that the media polls might NOT be considered? Why ignore them? Don't have to duplicate them but historically, they are pretty good....it's likely the polls and the official rankings will not differ much.

Not sure I agree they're historically pretty good since for decades they've virtually ignored precedent but otherwise, bingo.

We still have a shot to win the West. I don't believe Miss St. will win it. Bama will beat them and so will Ole Miss. We win out we go to Atlanta.

I'm not sure after last weekend if we win out and I hope that changes with a big win Satuday but if we win out we will most likely be #2 not #3. I really don't think Miss. St. will run the table and I would go as far as to say they lose twice. I think UA beats them and then Ga. beats them in the SEC Championship. I hope we get to worry about it because we still have a monsterous schedule still to get through.

We still have a shot to win the West. I don't believe Miss St. will win it. Bama will beat them and so will Ole Miss. We win out we go to Atlanta.

I like your thinking and hope you are correct. I think Moo St. stumbles at least once...we need some help in the West.

You are making the assumption that this committee will pick the way you or I would have picked. I think that for public opinion they'll put in as much "diversity" as possible and that makes it tough to get a second team from any one conference in the group of four. If we win out should we go regardless of what others do? Yes. Will we? Doubtful.

Here is my thoughts about week 1 on the Playoff Committee selection. Since you are choosing where teams are NOW, not where you think they will be at end of year or next week. I am using who they have lost to and beat (home and on the road) and currrent (past opponents W/L) SOS. Undefeated Power Conf. teams ahead of 1 loss. Using AP/Coaches rankings. I am just showing details for the 1 loss teams that could make playoffs. This order is where I would rank the teams also.

1. Miss. ST.

2. FL ST.

3. Auburn

4. Oregon

Auburn lost to the current #1 team on the road. They beat the #11 team on the road. Beat #16/#17 @ home SOS 1st

Oregon lost to #14/#15 team @ home. Oregon beat the current #5/#8 team @ home (almost put Ole Miss over Oregon) SOS 17th

Ole Miss lost to #16/#17 on the road. Beat #3 team @ home. SOS 16th

Kansas ST lost to #4 team @home. Beat #19/#20 on the road. SOS 27th

Bama lost to the #7/#9 team on the road. Bama beat #20/#22 team neutral site (but more of a home game to bama than West Vir) SOS 33rd

TCU lost to #12 team on the road. Beat #19/#20 @ home SOS 33rd

Mich. ST. lost to #5/#6 team on the road. Beat #16/#17 team @ home. SOS 60th

Baylor lost to #20/#22 on the road. beat #10 team @ home. SOS 87th

Notre Dame lost to the #2 team on road. Hasn't beat a current ranked team SOS 43rd (only put them so low because they haven't beat a ranked team and SOS)

Nebraska lost to #5/#8 on the road. Hasn't beat a current ranked team SOS 43rd

Arizona lost to unranked team @ home. Beat #5/#6 team on the road SOS 77th

Georiga lost to unranked team on the road. Beat #21/#22 team @ home. SOS 86th

Utah lost to unranked team @ home. beat #25 team on the road. SOS 60th

Arizona ST. lost to 25th team @ home (62-27 score). Hasn't beat a current ranked team. SOS 37th

Ohio ST. lost to unranked team @ home. Hasn't beat a current ranked team. SOS 58th

Currently I do not see how anyone could not have Auburn as the best 1 loss team. Lost to the #1 team on the road. Has beat two ranked teams, one on the road and SOS is #1. And this is trying and looking at this without any homer bias or orange and blue glasses.

playoff_week1.png

It's interesting IMO how popular thinking has FSU in the final top 4 without question. A joke schedule in a conference like Marshall's that's only a conference in the 5 that count because of...FSU. Can we schedule Notre Dame please?

FSU is undefeated and beat the #6/#7 team and SOS is 27th. Also beat the #21/#22 team. Unless something comes out that current players were ineligable to play in past games you can not put FSU out. Can't be bias just because you think certain players are immature or made some bad decisions. Now if something comes out eventually sure, but until then it wouldn't be fair to exclude them.

I do not believe Bama can or will beat them.

Bama's beat down of TAMU is the only complete game that they have played this year. They barely got by Arkansas and the game against Tennessee should not have been a contest.

Florida is horrible this year and the only team that Bama has played that is currently ranked, is Ole Miss, who they lost to. The media is giving them a lot more credit than they deserve for three reasons: (1) They are in love with Saban (2) The beat down of TAMU and (3) The recent past accomplishments and recruiting classes they have had.

The next test for Bama is LSU next weekend. If they barely win this one, then they are simply over-rated. If they lose it, they will be out.

Brad Edwards was on Mike and Mike this morning and he had us at 5th. He was making his projections using the BCS system.

Rankings do not matter right now. Look at our remaining schedule. Win out and we will be in.

Brad Edwards was on Mike and Mike this morning and he had us at 5th. He was making his projections using the BCS system.

Rankings do not matter right now. Look at our remaining schedule. Win out and we will be in.

That is not a certainty. I still think the committee is going to place heavy emphasis on conference champion. ND is still lurking out there. If we don't end up as SEC champion then I won't rest easy until that selection is made. Unless they learn how to play a complete game, winning out is a pipe dream.

Too early to matter but I suspect we start the run at #5. Win and we are in. Lose, and we turn into the spoilers...

I love that CGM said he would not be watching tonight because at this point it doesn't matter. He doesn't expect to be in right now and said that wasn't unusual for us and this time of the year. He is keeping it real.

Archived