ATTENTION ALL COMPUTER GE..uh GUYS!

Jenny AU-92

According to the IT guys here at my office, my hard drive on my work laptop has had a total meltdown - it won't "spin". As a result, I have lost damn near everything - ALL of my emails (thanks to IT telling me it was better to store all my emails on my hard drive so I won't take up tons of server space :angry: ) and a lot of my contract language. The guy I am working with says that the hard drive will have to go to a data recovery place and that will take time and $$$$$.

Is this true? Any suggestions on other things to try? All he did was pull the hard drive and stick it in another machine to see if he could get it to spin. I am not confident in his level of expertise, nor in his committment to make this a priority - and I am DYING here. ALL of my customer email addresses, personal email addresses AND THE TOUCHDOWN AUBURN BOWL!!! were on my hard drive.

So I am on a crappy loaner laptop until I can get another one, and would like to hear from people I trust to tell it to me straight.

Anyone? Please, help a girl out here!!! :blink: :huh: :o:o:o:o

He is correct that there are "data recovery places and that will take time and $$$$$.

http://www.ontrack.com/

http://www.bitmart.net/

I know you probably don't want to here it just now, but it is always a great idea to back up important info in at least two places.

If it won't spin up, he's right. Although it probably wouldn't hurt anything to try it in one more computer to see if someone can get it to spin up.

Sounds like data recovery services are your only option. And just to reiterate, if/when you get that info recovered and onto another hard drive, you need to do regular backups. Get a separate hard drive and clone the main drive onto that backup once a month. But beyond that, it wouldn't hurt to invest in some CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs and save your address book and other important documents to them every couple of weeks. At least then you'd only lose whatever you did since your last backup.

Yep, you can now officially bend over.

I know, I've been there before. It's how I learned to make backups of EVERYTHING.

131508[/snapback]

Screw ups are great teachers aren't they! :big::big:

Archived