***Auburn vs. Georgia Post Game Thread*** (merged threads)

FHeal

2014: Alabama played West Virginia, West Carolina, Southern Miss, and Fla Atlantic OOC

2014: Auburn played Kansas State, San Jose State, Samford, and La Tech OOC

> K State is 7-2 and 3rd in the Big 12; West Virginia 6-4 and 6th in Big XII is - they play each other next week.

2013: Alabama played Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Georgia State, and Chattanooga OOC

2013: Auburn played Washington State, Arkansas State, Western Carolina, Flordia Atlantic OOC

2012: Alabama played Michigan, Western Kentucky, Flordia Atlantic, and Western Carolina OOC

2012: Auburn played Clemson, New Mexico State, Alabama A&M, and La-Manroe OOC

2011: Alabama played Kent State, Penn State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern

2011: Auburn Played Utah State, FAU, Samford, and Clemson OOC

I mean come on guys. Let's not act like there's a huge discrepancy between Alabama's OOC and our OOC scheduling here. Bama has been picking marquee games against big name teams (Penn St., Michigan, West Virginia) for a couple years now. We've been up against Clemson, Wash State, and K State. The rest are powder puffs or middling at best. Let's not deflect attention to Bama, it makes us look petty.

Until Auburn learns how to beat Clemson, they shouldn't schedule any elite programs/big name schools. However, wait until they play Cal. That's when the rest of the SEC as well as the talking heads will take notice. It's also advantageous to schedule teams that actually have a worse defense than Auburn.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ready for some AU basketball!

Should be good. Bruce Pearl's team plays defense.

Might be a good fit for DC? Interim only of course.

Last night was painful to watch. We hate to see a team play poorly. Our team has played poorly recently. We hate to see our offensive line and our defensive line get pushed around (I think that is the true source of our problems.) The coaching staff needs to do some soul-searching.

That being said, we are playing in the toughest division in College Football. It is not shocking to lose some of these games. Calm down and let's see what happens.

BTW: I just watched the sunrise. It's going to be a beautiful day. As my parents used to say in the bleak 1940s..."War Eagle, anyway."

I love Auburn dearly and have been a huge Gus Malzahn fan from day 1, but I'm terribly disappointed in the job that the coaching staff has done to prepare this team to play over the last several games. I never thought that this was a national championship caliber team, but I had no idea that they were this bad. The poor execution, penalties, and turn overs have become all to common and will result in more losses until they are addressed. IMO this team is getting progressively worse and would likely not beat any of the SEC teams that they've already played. Although Nick Marshall is very talented and cool under pressure, IMO he's not an SEC caliber QB because he's too inconsistent. If I'm not mistaken, he's rarely hit his goal of a 65% pass completion rate. Both of the lines are being pushed around and the play calling on both sides of the ball appears to have come too predictable. Although I have no clue to the source of the issues, I'm confident that Coach Malzahn is more than capable of making the difficult decisions that will be necessary to to turn this thing around during the off season. I just hope that we don't lose a lot ground in recruiting while the changes are being implemented.

I am behind Coach Malzahn 100% and have no idea how to right the ship. I saw a team last night with no fight, no heart, no desire. I watched UGA's offensive line push our defense up and down the field. There was no need for UGA to throw the ball they didn't have too. Our linebackers are consistently out of position and unable to make plays. They get lucky once in a while and fall into a tackle. Our defensive line can not apply pressure or even get close to applying pressure on anyone. They have been man handled up and down the field all year. I didn't understand the play calling last night or most of the year for that fact. When we go fast, it seems as though we are almost unstoppable. When they take their time at the line of scrimmage and look over the sidelines etc.. we can't do anything. I don't understand why we slow it down and I don't understand why we have 4 and 5 star recruits on defense who come to Auburn and suddenly forget how to play? No heart, no fight, no desire is the most disappointing thing. Never thought I would say that about a Malzahn coached team.

As always and forever will be: It is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger! War Eagle.

I love Auburn dearly and have been a huge Gus Malzahn fan from day 1, but I'm terribly disappointed in the job that the coaching staff has done to prepare this team to play over the last several games. I never thought that this was a national championship caliber team, but I had no idea that they were this bad. The poor execution, penalties, and turn overs have become all to common and will result in more losses until they are addressed. IMO this team is getting progressively worse and would likely not beat any of the SEC teams that they've already played. Although Nick Marshall is very talented and cool under pressure, IMO he's not an SEC caliber QB because he's too inconsistent. If I'm not mistaken, he's rarely hit his goal of a 65% pass completion rate. Both of the lines are being pushed around and the play calling on both sides of the ball appears to have come too predictable. Although I have no clue to the source of the issues, I'm confident that Coach Malzahn is more than capable of making the difficult decisions that will be necessary to to turn this thing around during the off season. I just hope that we don't lose a lot ground in recruiting while the changes are being implemented.

JMO but Nick is among the best SEC QBs...gotta be frustrating to hit your two "best" WRs right in the hands on back to back plays and see them drop the balls. Duke being gone was a bigger hit than I expected....thought that Bray and Sammie would step up...but wow...just hard to believe what went on.

D is getting most of the blame( and a good part of it is justified) but I challenge anyone to show me a team playing a good opponent that can win while making the number of mistakes on offense and special teams that AU is making at this point in the season.

The defense was typically bad, but actually not as bad as vs A&M and SC. Giving up 34 to UGA isn't exactly a disaster. But they got nothing from offense or special teams. Muffed punt and roughing the kicker wasted two good defensive stops and put them right back on the field. Offense did zilch after the first drive and committed three turnovers.

First time we have seen our offense just totally stink it up under Gus. Offense and special teams were just as bad as the defense. A total teams loss. They just looked lost in all phases of the game.

I am bo no means an expert, but I have seen some things that I would like to share and see what you all think.

Gus Malzahn's offense is predicated on pace. The pace dictates the tempo of the game and is designed to do four things, 1) catch the defense in the wrong alignment and wrong personnel schemes, 2) wear down the defense by making them defend as many plays as possible without a rest, 3) make the defense look at a lot of movement and get them moving in the wrong direction when the play actually starts, and 4)not give them time to analyse exactly what itis you are doing.

With this in mind, what do you think that slowing down the pace does? Here are my thoughts:

1) when you slow down a HUNH offense you are defeating the purpose of said pace. This gives the opposing defense the time to do all of the things that the pace is supposed to negate. They have time to rest, they have time to analyse what it is you're doing and it gives their coaches time to make sure they have the right package on the field.

This slow-down is self defeating and you can see it with the lack of timing, and even some confusion by the offensive line, causing false starts and holding penalties. If the idea if slowing down is to protect the defense, I would submit that going three and out puts more pressure on the defense than scoring quickly ever would, because there is then no room for error on either side of the ball. For whatever reason, this is what appears to have happened over the last several games. It also happened in 2011 when Chizik slowed down the offense to "protect" the defense.

This offense is designed to score points quickly and often. by slowing it down, you do neither.

This is just one mans's thoughts on what has transpired recently. What are your observations?

I don't even have a clue as to why it's happening, but it does look like it to me as well. I hope CGM will see that it's not working and he just needs to get back to what he has designed and works. Let the D fend for itself and sink or swim. This offense needs to score points and not worry about what's happening on the other side of the ball.

I am bo no means an expert, but I have seen some things that I would like to share and see what you all think.

Gus Malzahn's offense is predicated on pace. The pace dictates the tempo of the game and is designed to do four things, 1) catch the defense in the wrong alignment and wrong personnel schemes, 2) wear down the defense by making them defend as many plays as possible without a rest, 3) make the defense look at a lot of movement and get them moving in the wrong direction when the play actually starts, and 4)not give them time to analyse exactly what itis you are doing.

With this in mind, what do you think that slowing down the pace does? Here are my thoughts:

1) when you slow down a HUNH offense you are defeating the purpose of said pace. This gives the opposing defense the time to do all of the things that the pace is supposed to negate. They have time to rest, they have time to analyse what it is you're doing and it gives their coaches time to make sure they have the right package on the field.

This slow-down is self defeating and you can see it with the lack of timing, and even some confusion by the offensive line, causing false starts and holding penalties. If the idea if slowing down is to protect the defense, I would submit that going three and out puts more pressure on the defense than scoring quickly ever would, because there is then no room for error on either side of the ball. For whatever reason, this is what appears to have happened over the last several games. It also happened in 2011 when Chizik slowed down the offense to "protect" the defense.

This offense is designed to score points quickly and often. by slowing it down, you do neither.

This is just one mans's thoughts on what has transpired recently. What are your observations?

excellent observation..I would add baffling play calling as well

My observation as well.

I would add:

Every "revolutionary" offensive scheme eventually gets countered by defensive coaches. Our offense, while flashy at times, is becoming very predictable and with time, has become easier to defend. Add to this that our passing game is mediocre at best and the woes we are seeing begin to surface.

I think Gus knows all this but at this point in the season, there is no time to change it. With JJ starting next season, I sure hope Gus draws up some different schemes for next season or we could be looking at more regression.

JMO but Nick is among the best SEC QBs...gotta be frustrating to hit your two "best" WRs right in the hands on back to back plays and see them drop the balls. Duke being gone was a bigger hit than I expected....thought that Bray and Sammie would step up...but wow...just hard to believe what went on.

D is getting most of the blame( and a good part of it is justified) but I challenge anyone to show me a team playing a good opponent that can win while making the number of mistakes on offense and special teams that AU is making at this point in the season.

Bammer is one of the league leaders in fumbles, their kicker sucks, Cooper dropped like 4 passes when they played lsu and their defense held. Fumbled right there in front of their goal line at the end of the game. I

I noticed that since the MSU drubbing, the intensity, fight, motivation, whatever you want to call it was gone from the team. At the start of the aTm game, their body language showed they were just standing around like they were bored. It didn't take long for that freshman QB to smack us in the mouth and we never responded. I think last year set up expectations that with our schedule was almost impossible meet which has turned out to be true. Life is full of highs and lows. You just have to realize that they occur and move on as best you can,

And for the "off with their heads crowd", Gus is a winner, always has been and that characteristic does not go away. The midget enjoys all the money, tradition and the power of the REC behind him and has been a head coach for decades. Gus has been a head coach for a whopping three years and has taken us to the title game twice in four years, That's something nicky never accomplished in the same amount of time.

Personally, I think next year barring key injuries is when we start to shine again. We will have Mike Kozan, Carl Lawson and Jeremy Johnson back along with a more favorable schedule. Nick Marshall has done an admiral job but to be honest he is not a quarterback in the true sense of the word and Johnson is and will provide us with a consistent passing attack, something Nick could not do. Nick is a great athlete and I am sure there is a spot for him in the NFL.

I know the last half of our schedule has been very disappointing but cheer up folks, Armageddon is still a ways off. WDE!!!!

Archived