The Issue Defensively

Weegle777

I watched the bama game and payed particular attention to their defensive line, linebackers, and safeties. I compared our dline, backers, and safeties and it is absolutely night and day, not in talent, but in positional DISCIPLINE.

Not only did bama's dline keep gap assignment, but they managed to get enough penetration to disrupt Dak and his decision making ability. Bama's LB group never allowed themselves to get caught out of position or get swallowed up in the play. Safeties were very disciplined.

It seems to me that our guys get caught out of position and seem to lose assignment integrity more often than not. That is coaching boys, just coaching.

We have the talent, no doubt about that. It just seems that our players either aren't very smart, (which I don't believe), or our defensive coaches aren't getting it done.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect some changes in a few weeks. In the meantime win out. We can score on the turds.....if we execute.

Discipline and fundamentals. uat is very good at both. UGA was very good at both last night. LSU is good at both. Ole Miss is very good at both. MSU is good at both. I'm not sure why these have been lacking at Auburn through the last three DCs.

Discipline and fundamentals. uat is very good at both. UGA was very good at both last night. LSU is good at both. Ole Miss is very good at both. MSU is good at both. I'm not sure why these have been lacking at Auburn through the last three DCs.

It just doesn't make sense. We didn't have the best athletes under Tubs, but by dang those guys were sound. They played assignment football and were disciplined. Got to get that back.

Why does everyone think Muschamp is a great D coordinator? His Texas defenses got worse the longer he was there. He was blown out by GA while he was at Auburn. He has better athletes at Florida and they aren't exactly lights out. I think we can do a lot better than him!

I noticed during bamr's game how the db or lb would adjust his approach to the ball carrier. That is he would hesitate or break down as he neared the runner. During Auburn's game the db would be a white blur across the tv screen as he whiffed on his attempt to tackle the ball carrier.

I watched the bama game and payed particular attention to their defensive line, linebackers, and safeties. I compared our dline, backers, and safeties and it is absolutely night and day, not in talent, but in positional DISCIPLINE.

Not only did bama's dline keep gap assignment, but they managed to get enough penetration to disrupt Dak and his decision making ability. Bama's LB group never allowed themselves to get caught out of position or get swallowed up in the play. Safeties were very disciplined.

It seems to me that our guys get caught out of position and seem to lose assignment integrity more often than not. That is coaching boys, just coaching.

We have the talent, no doubt about that. It just seems that our players either aren't very smart, (which I don't believe), or our defensive coaches aren't getting it done.

Nick Saban is a fantastic defensive coach and his defenses are extremely disciplined and make very few mistakes. People can talk all they want about how much NFL talent they have, but the main reason they are great year after year is because they are extremely well coached. Period. For some reason our guys aren't being coached up or they aren't listening. It's been this way for several years now. Its on Gus to figure out what the problem is.

The only defense I have for CEJ is that we don't have any pass rushers and our corners are average at best. We have to fix this on the recruiting trail. Personally, I'm sick and tired of the 5'9" 175 lb weak sauce corners we seem to have year after year after year. If there is one thing I want to emulate most about Bama's defense, it's the size and strength of their corners. Just incredible the guys they get EVERY year. They are all tall and rangy athletes that are very physical and NEVER get manhandled by the wideouts.

I don't understand why we keep seeing the same people playing on defense who keep making the same mistakes Lets see Tre Williams in there. I know he is a true freshman but last night KF looked like a blocking dummy. Come to think of it, the whole defense looked like blocking dummies.

It is my gut feeling that our approach to coaching is not working. I will attempt to explain my reason. Not For one minute do i think that our defensive coaches do not know how to play defense. They either aren't teaching it in a way that they understand, or the players don't understand or can't comprehend. Either way it leads to bad play.

William Laird Cowher

Why do you keep trolling with this? He would never take a college DC job. If he wants to get back into coaching there will be a long line of suitors, in the NFL mostly, that will want him as head coach.

It is my gut feeling that our approach to coaching is not working. I will attempt to explain my reason. Not For one minute do i think that our defensive coaches do not know how to play defense. They either aren't teaching it in a way that they understand, or the players don't understand or can't comprehend. Either way it leads to bad play.

I don't understand. ^^ This is exactly what we have said about the last three defensive staffs at Auburn.

Then you have your answer. The players refuse to listen or are not smart enough to understand.

I have a hard time believing this but I don't have a better answer.

What does Bama have on defense that AU does not? Depth. And I don't mean they can substitute a lot of guys throughout the game. What I mean is, there are always two more guys just as good as you are right on your tail, ready to step in and take your job. If you screw up, you will lose your playing time. When you are 3-deep in 5 star players, the strongest competition is within your own team. (It's that way with LSU most years as well, but the LSU defense was totally wiped out the past two years due to graduation and the NFL draft.)

Auburn doesn't have that kind of depth at LB and in the secondary. You screw up, the coach asks you to try not to screw up next time. You screw up again, the coach asks you not to do that again. But you don't sit, and the reason is because the guys behind you are just not ready/able to do any better.

I have never questioned the commitment or heart of Auburn's players. And Auburn has had good recruiting classes, so there is talent. There's just not the level of accountability, the quality depth, and the coaching to get to that level.

And BTW -- Muschamp gets a No from me as well.

We don't know what's really going on with this team but the collapse of the defense is shocking. A team is supposed to get better each week and the lack of discipline and fundamentals suggests issues with coaches and players. I have also been very concerned with the D recruiting in comparison with the O. I believe CGM will need to consider making a change and I would support Muschamp.

There may be things that need to be repaired by JJ but we need to bring in the best D coordinator out there. Some of you said Pearl had too much baggage or that he would never come to AU. Well I don't think anyone doubts what a great hire he has been. I for one hope for Muschamp and hope he brings on some of his position coaches.

Archived