The Issue Defensively

Weegle777

Hearing that there will be definite coaching changes at the end of the season, and not just on the defensive side. Also, I believe that the players that will be leaving this year will do wonders with the team chemistry for next year. Many of our "leaders" are playing for themselves, and many are having issues with the coaches. TIFWIW

Link or source?

No link, I just have a friend who works in the AD who knows their stuff and is pretty reliable...

Outside of the defense, who could you fire? Maybe Tim Horton Scott Fountain as the ST guy, but who else? If you're extremely reaching, you could use Lashlee as the fall guy for the offensive lapses but I don't believe that

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everyone think Muschamp is a great D coordinator? His Texas defenses got worse the longer he was there. He was blown out by GA while he was at Auburn. He has better athletes at Florida and they aren't exactly lights out. I think we can do a lot better than him!

Check your stats. At Texas in 2009 and 2010 his defenses were the #5 ranked in Total Defense. He left for Florida before the 2011 season.

Hearing that there will be definite coaching changes at the end of the season, and not just on the defensive side. Also, I believe that the players that will be leaving this year will do wonders with the team chemistry for next year. Many of our "leaders" are playing for themselves, and many are having issues with the coaches. TIFWIW

Link or source?

No link, I just have a friend who works in the AD who knows their stuff and is pretty reliable...

Outside of the defense, who could you fire? Maybe Tim Horton as the ST guy, but who else? If you're extremely reaching, you could use Lashlee as the fall guy for the offensive lapses but I don't believe that

ST being what? Tim Horton is the RBs coach and is a great recruiter. I think Fountain would be the guy he'd be referring to as someone outside the defense.

Link or source?

Outside of the defense, who could you fire? Maybe Tim Horton as the ST guy, but who else? If you're extremely reaching, you could use Lashlee as the fall guy for the offensive lapses but I don't believe that

ST being what? Tim Horton is the RBs coach and is a great recruiter. I think Fountain would be the guy he'd be referring to as someone outside the defense.

Yes. Great guy. Change his responsibilities to an off the field role but keep him around.

I do not think that Muschamp is the answer whatsoever. He will wind up as a HC somewhere next year. Unless our D comes out of the doldrums and plays like it should, we will see a new DC for 2015.

There are some solid DCs out there that would crawl to Auburn to be the DC for 2015. I like the DC at Michigan State along with DC at Mississippi State. Those are the 2 that come to mind. I know for a fact that CGM is a great coach to serve under.

It seems like there is a good chance that Muschamp is a DC next year in the SEC if his Florida buyout will allow it. I would rather he be on our sideline than USCe and I definitely don't want to see what he could do with all the talent that they have been recruiting to A&M in recent years

I do not think that Muschamp is the answer whatsoever. He will wind up as a HC somewhere next year. Unless our D comes out of the doldrums and plays like it should, we will see a new DC for 2015.

There are some solid DCs out there that would crawl to Auburn to be the DC for 2015. I like the DC at Michigan State along with DC at Mississippi State. Those are the 2 that come to mind. I know for a fact that CGM is a great coach to serve under.

No one is giving him a HC job next year after the way things went at Florida. He's going to have to drop back down to coordinator for 2-3 years to rehabilitate his resume, then he'll get another crack at it, but not at a place like Florida.

It seems like there is a good chance that Muschamp is a DC next year in the SEC if his Florida buyout will allow it. I would rather he be on our sideline than USCe and I definitely don't want to see what he could do with all the talent that they have been recruiting to A&M in recent years

If he won't come to AU because of Jacobs, he certainly won't go to TAMU because of Sumlin. They have had some disagreements and I believe Muschamp disparaged College Station.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The issue defensively is the 4-2-5. Who the hell runs a 4-2-5?! "Uh yeah. Our defense is terrible on 3rd down. But I have a solution. By coming out in a nickel package on 1st down, there is no way the opponent even reaches 3rd down. Problem solved!"

For the record I started a Muschamp to AU thread on Oct 25. It was deleted by a mod.

The issue defensively is the 4-2-5. Who the hell runs a 4-2-5?! "Uh yeah. Our defense is terrible on 3rd down. But I have a solution. By coming out in a nickel package on 1st down, there is no way the opponent even reaches 3rd down. Problem solved!"

For the record I started a Muschamp to AU thread on Oct 25. It was deleted by a mod.

The same defense that had South Carolina with Top 10 or 15 ranked defenses three of CEJ's four years there. Even with having to play Florida under Urban Meyer, Auburn, Clemson with spread offenses and teams like Georgia and Alabama with traditional ones. Don't fall for simplistic solutions. We could run a 5-4-2 for all it matters. If there's no pass rush we're still getting carved up.

For the record, whining noted.

Most NFL teams run a nickel package, either a straight 4-2-5 or a version dervived from it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375711/article/big-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfls-hottest-defensive-trend

Why do we never adjust or try other options? In the games we virtually knew we would win, why didn't we try a 3-4 and move some LB to DE for a few sets? After 2 games you know how quick your DE are versus the oposition. Try something else.

Link or source?

Ah I thought Horton was on the ST that's my bad

The Big problem with defense is tackling, guys are not wrapping up and waiting for others to help, all they want to do is get the BIG hit to be on sportscenter, that is one thing if you watch Bama (and I ain't to use them as a reference) is they (Except Ruben Foster, which it is better he didn't sign with us) alway wrap up and tackle good..........the defense really needs to work on tackling better and keeping assignments, and that falls on the coordinator, Muschamp is not the answer, I think they should promote Garner to Coor, and bring Tracy Rocker back to D-Line

Link or source?

Ah I thought Horton was on the ST that's my bad

it's all good. Horton isn't going anywhere just because he's a great recruiter. Fountain needs to go. Nobody on the offensive side the ball needs to go anywhere. Grimes is doing the best he possibly can and has recruited incredibly with OL. Horton has done extremely well with RBs and he's brought in a lot of talent. Rhett probably had one more year at Auburn before he goes and takes on a lower D1 HC job. Obviously CGM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I agree that there needs to be some change on defense and ST, but offense there's no problem.

IMO Muschamp is too good to not offer him the position. I DO NOT want to see him goto Texas A&M or South Carolina where we will have to face him. If he doesn't want to come back to Auburn, well that's just something we'll have to deal with. But to not offer somebody of his caliber could come back to bite us in the butt, especially if he goes to an other SEC team.

Does anyone know what kind of D Sumlin likes to run? 3-4? 4-3? 4-2-5?

Most NFL teams run a nickel package, either a straight 4-2-5 or a version dervived from it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375711/article/big-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfls-hottest-defensive-trend

Most NFL teams run very different offenses. Pass heavy, etc.

I'm getting tired of people saying that tackling is our only problem on defense...

I think tackling has been the primary problem. It's been a problem since the 08 iron bowl. But missed assignments, blown coverages, playing soft in general have all been characteristic of the Roof/VanGorder/Ellis era.

Link or source?

Inside info?

I'd just love to see our defensive coordinator actually coach from the sidelines. I don't see passion in our defense, and its no surprise because I never see it from our defensive staff. Lets bring a guy in who like Malzahn, calls plays from the sideline and is a psycho about his craft. I don't really understand why people are reluctant to the idea of bringing Muschamp in, because that is exactly what he would bring. Look at Smart and Pruitt...it bothers me that CEJ is up in the booth and isn't there to interact with players or coaches during the game.

Archived