Liars, Damn Liars, and Alabama Republicans

RunInRed

Let me get this straight, conveniently, the day after the election, Governor Bentley suddenly realized Alabama's general fund budget shortfall is not "just" $265 million for next year, but an astounding $700 million over "the next few years." ...

The day after he won a landslide re-election victory for a second term, Gov. Robert Bentley was given an extensive briefing on the money-troubled general fund.

That is the pot of dollars which pay for prisons, Medicaid, public safety and most state needs not related to public schools.

For months Bentley had been saying the expected deficit in the general fund would be between $230 million and $250 million give or take.But Bentley also knew that was a moving target that would increase as state agencies began reporting what their money needs would be for the new budget year set to begin Oct. 1, 2015.

"I thought it would be above $250 million," the governor said in an interview following a speech at The Club before the Birmingham Business Alliance. "And it was. It's about $265 million now," added Bentley.

Not great news but not unexpected news. But that was not the last figure Bentley got in that briefing.

This one was: $700 million dollars.

But you ready for the kicker ... oh the conservatives are going to love this one ...

"Taxes would be the last thing I would look to as far as raising a new tax. But I cannot see getting through this without having to raise more revenue," said Bentley.

You voted for them. You reap what you sow ... enjoy.

LINK

So you're good with your leaders parading around and campaigning how they are reducing the deficit, not raising taxes, etc ... and then the day after the election a shortfall, three times larger what they previously projected, is unveiled ... followed by a "solution" of raising taxes? OK ...

I assume you're also OK with shenanigans like this? (there's 100 more examples like it) ...

Speaker Mike Hubbard increased the speaker's office budget by 82.6% (to $892,492) over the previous (Democratic) speaker. That number includes $135,000 paid to political consultants, six-figure salaries to formerly part-time staffers, & a lavish re-decoration of Hubbert's office.

I assume you're also OK with shenanigans like this? (there's 100 more examples like it) ...

Speaker Mike Hubbard increased the speaker's office budget by 82.6% (to $892,492) over the previous (Democratic) speaker. That number includes $135,000 paid to political consultants, six-figure salaries to formerly part-time staffers, & a lavish re-decoration of Hubbert's office.

Its hugely ironic you're whining about this when the guy you've devoted your undying support to is arguably the biggest liar in modern political history.

Rob, this is what happens when you have an (almost) single party state like Alabama.

On my ballot, there were 25 offices up for election.

17 were unopposed.

7 had Democrat Challengers.

1 Had an Indie Challenger.

If you are running unopposed in the general, there is no discussion happening.

In the governor's race, Parker Griffith decided he was a Democrat that morning and ran as a laughably unserious candidate.

He had some good ideas, (lottery etc) but he was never a threat to Bentley at all.

He was a joke running for Congress up here in N AL.

Its hugely ironic you're whining about this when the guy you've devoted your undying support to is arguably the biggest liar in modern political history.

So are you going to address the issue at hand or just spout your usual dogma?

That is one serious load of crap. He is claiming shock and awe that his budget has that big of a shortfall? BS, he knew and I'm sure his budget director would be the first to say so.

meme9513732502.jpg

Its not about dogma but nice try. Its clearly about duplicity. With the left its always about whatever is needed to accomplish the ends the ideologues envision but when it comes to the right its... they cant do that,,,how dare they! >:(

As far as reconciling his statements, I dont see where there is any misrepresentation. I will say, Im damned glad he refused setting up an ObamaCare exchange because going forward that is going to cost the states who did a tremendous amount of money. That would have put the state in a deeper hole than we're already find ourselves in. As far as the tax issue is concerned, are you mad about the possibility of being forced to raise revenue? if you are, why is it seem quite conciliatory when its a liberal admin raising taxes but pissed when it becomes necessary for a conservative admin to do the same?

Oh, and let us NOT forget, in the words of your Fuhrer, "elections have consequences" if you dont like it elect a liberal whose policies you'll be happier with.

Lower taxes and out of control spending will explode the deficit. It's basic math. Always has, always will. That's what Bentley has given us and it's literally coming home to roost now.

The irony or "lie," is the large discrepancy between his rhetoric and the reality of his actions.

Lower taxes and out of control spending will explode the deficit. It's basic math. Always has, always will. That's what Bentley has given us and it's literally coming home to roost now.

The irony or "lie," is the large discrepancy between his rhetoric and the reality of his actions.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Lower taxes almost always increases revenue. The inverse relationship between the two has been proven many times.

"The irony or "lie," is large discrepancy between their rhetoric and the reality of their actions."

Im sorry coming on the heals of "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, period. if you like your plan you can keep your plan, period. Nobody is going to take that way from you, period. And the average American family is going to save $2500 dollars" All said by one BHO about a program that you have emphatically defended makes your heartburn with quote above the height of duplicity.

Obama obsession disorder is not exactly dogma. ;D

The irony or "lie," is large discrepancy between their rhetoric and the reality of their actions.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Lower taxes almost always increases revenue. The inverse relationship between the two has been proven many times.

Doesn't seem to be holding true in Kansas right now. Perhaps the "trickle down" effect hasn't quite gotten started yet? Perhaps they need another round of tax cuts? Perhaps that is what Alabama needs? How do you feel about tax cuts while engaged in two wars? Is that prudent? Is that going to raise revenues?

Rob, this is what happens when you have an (almost) single party state like Alabama.

17 were unopposed.

In the governor's race, Parker Griffith decided he was a Democrat that morning and ran as a laughably unserious candidate.

He had some good ideas, (lottery etc) but he was never a threat to Bentley at all.

The Democratic Party in Alabama is just as much to blame for this one party rule as anyone. They aren't serious about winning anymore...just getting minorities in office. I supported and communicated with one of the Democrats who ran this year and they are pretty much on their own. No leadership. Sound familiar?

Didn't vote for him but the alternative might have been just as bad.. I agree with icanthearyou on this one but I loath Bently so take it for what it's worth. I wanted Bradley Burn but went with the Democrat after he lost to Bently in the primaries.

Parker Griffith changes his party affiliation, it seems, every election cycle. Not coincidentally, it hasn't benefited him one bit as he has lost every campaign he's run but, presumably, Red believes he was a better candidate and should have been elected..

Just another thread with the Dems being hypocritical. It's OK fo their boy in he WH to lie like crazy but get their panties in a wad speculating what a GOP guy knows. I'm not a Bentley fan but he is light years better than the scumbag Griffin.

Just for the record, this wasn't intended as a pro-Griffin thread. But you now have 1 party controlling all aspects of the state ... as has been the case since Bentley's administration began. The results, as they say, are what they are.

Let me get this straight, conveniently, the day after the election, Governor Bentley suddenly realized Alabama's general fund budget shortfall is not "just" $265 million for next year, but an astounding $700 million over "the next few years." ...

The day after he won a landslide re-election victory for a second term, Gov. Robert Bentley was given an extensive briefing on the money-troubled general fund.

That is the pot of dollars which pay for prisons, Medicaid, public safety and most state needs not related to public schools.

For months Bentley had been saying the expected deficit in the general fund would be between $230 million and $250 million give or take.But Bentley also knew that was a moving target that would increase as state agencies began reporting what their money needs would be for the new budget year set to begin Oct. 1, 2015.

"I thought it would be above $250 million," the governor said in an interview following a speech at The Club before the Birmingham Business Alliance. "And it was. It's about $265 million now," added Bentley.

Not great news but not unexpected news. But that was not the last figure Bentley got in that briefing.

This one was: $700 million dollars.

But you ready for the kicker ... oh the conservatives are going to love this one ...

"Taxes would be the last thing I would look to as far as raising a new tax. But I cannot see getting through this without having to raise more revenue," said Bentley.

You voted for them. You reap what you sow ... enjoy.

LINK

I agree with you Run. Bentley is a politician. He is NOT working for the people.

Just for the record, this wasn't intended as a pro-Griffin thread. But you now have 1 party controlling all aspects of the state ... as has been the case since Bentley's administration began. The results, as they say, are what they are.

Democrats had the state lock, stock, and barrel for decades. The proof is in that pudding as well.

17 were unopposed.

The Democratic Party in Alabama is just as much to blame for this one party rule as anyone. They aren't serious about winning anymore...just getting minorities in office. I supported and communicated with one of the Democrats who ran this year and they are pretty much on their own. No leadership. Sound familiar?

Agreed. My friends in the Democratic circles were complaining about "One Lever Voting." Kim and i supported a Dem up here in Morgan County. The Party Workers were looking over the returns and it was obvious that a huge plurality of voters were just marking the Republican Party Line Vote marker. Party line voting is bad for everyone. It sucked in the 60s and it sucks now.

Didn't vote for him but the alternative might have been just as bad.. I agree with icanthearyou on this one but I loath Bently so take it for what it's worth. I wanted Bradley Burn but went with the Democrat after he lost to Bently in the primaries.

I might not loathe him but i do not like the creepy old fool.

120517082721-robert-bentley-alabama-gov-story-body.jpgpoltergeist2.jpg

Reminds me of the villain from Poltergeist...

Having a liberal democrat complaining about spending and deficits is really hilarious. You decry it at the state level when it occurs under a republican governor yet say nothing when it occurs at the federal level under a democrat president. I will consider a democrat at the local level but not at state and certainly not at the federal level. I look to the primary to take care of republicans I don't like that is the place to have those battles. Once that is over I support my party. Conservatives have gotten mad and took their ball and went home sometimes. That's how we end up with the Obamas of the world. You don't teach your party a lesson by electing someone of another party.

Having a liberal democrat complaining about spending and deficits is really hilarious. You decry it at the state level when it occurs under a republican governor yet say nothing when it occurs at the federal level under a democrat president. I will consider a democrat at the local level but not at state and certainly not at the federal level. I look to the primary to take care of republicans I don't like that is the place to have those battles. Once that is over I support my party. Conservatives have gotten mad and took their ball and went home sometimes. That's how we end up with the Obamas of the world. You don't teach your party a lesson by electing someone of another party.

Exactly. You have to be a true believer.

Archived