AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

I saw on the internet Chad Johnson tweeted about Jakell and CJ Mosely wore something to acknowledge him. As far as bammers go I always respected him for his talent on field and the way he carried himself off. He was always a class guy

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girlfriend says there was an argument with a man and a third man started shooting.

http://www.al.com/au...9140c3c1abdc38d

Are you kidding me with $150,000 bond. There should be no bond for him.

http://www.al.com/au...t_story_package

Hart's run-ins with the law started in September of 2010 as an 18-year-old in Tallapoosa County. He faced felony first-degree burglary and felony first-degree theft of property charges following an arrest, but pleaded down.

In May 2012, he pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary, a felony, and one theft-of-property charge was dismissed as part of a plea deal. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but was ordered to serve six months. He was also ordered to serve three years of probation.

While facing the burglary and theft charges, Hart was arrested again on Dec. 15, 2011 for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was indicted in September 2012 and later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. He was ordered to serve a one-year suspended sentence and two years probation.

So let's get this timeline straight:

September 2010: Arrested on burglary & theft charges.

July 2011: Charged with Unlawful Carry & Failure to Appear in South Carolina ( http://southcarolina...e_Hart_7727877/ )

December 2011: Arrested for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia (while awaiting trial on the burglary).

May 2012: Pleaded down to 2nd degree burglary and was sentenced to 6 years, did 6 months, with three years probation

September 2012: Indicted on the drug charges

Sometime after September 2012, pleaded and sentenced to 1-yr suspended and two years probation

So if my math is right, wouldn't he still be on probation from the burglary charge?

And he only got off the drug probation in Sept 2014 or later, i.e., three months or less ago?

And already has a "Failure to Appear" charge in SC?

Yeah that's the sort of record I'd bond out..not. :glare:/> :blink:/>

And I'll go you one better: if he had been made to serve his full sentence from May 2012, none of those other crimes would have been committed by him, including the senseless killing of Jakell.

But I think I see what you're saying: he violated his probation from that incident but there appears to have been no repercussions for it.

exactly, the system don't work.

An argument is no reason to take the life of someone. I don't know what happened but it could not have been bad enough to kill. What happened to a good ol fist fight? Grab some gloves and a video camera. Still don't understand. I know there are a lot of people hurting. Still praying

That is the difference between people like us and others. We all grew up in an era where we got into a fistfight. It , I think, is the drug culture and the gansta rap mentality. You disrespect me I will kill you.

Reminiscent of the mafia mentality. Gangster culture, show disrespect and you get killed - long wrap sheet of a multitude of crimes - criminal culture i.e. theft/robbery/drugs/violence...... Oh, and those Mafia members came from two parent families with very devout religious beliefs, they attended schools where they were required to attend chapel, devotions, and were exposed daily to the word of God, they were educated by some of the most religious individuals in existence. Very sad situation when a person encounters individuals that give no value to their own life or the lives of others.

The entire Mitchell family are in my prayers.

An argument is no reason to take the life of someone. I don't know what happened but it could not have been bad enough to kill. What happened to a good ol fist fight? Grab some gloves and a video camera. Still don't understand. I know there are a lot of people hurting. Still praying

That is the difference between people like us and others. We all grew up in an era where we got into a fistfight. It , I think, is the drug culture and the gansta rap mentality. You disrespect me I will kill you.

That's a gross generalization...some truth to the stereotypes of course.

Not sure what era you grew up in, but I was in school at Auburn '83-88. Had a fraternity brother who took a gun away from a party crasher (at Bud Casey's daughter's house about 300 yards from campus). Was so angry he shot into the back of the car as the guy was leaving. My fraternity brother, who is as far away from gangsta' as you could possibly get, served ten years for manslaughter.

Pride destroys and it is no respecter of "culture". http://onlinecampusb...-by-beth-moore/

"Gangsta rap" didn't kill anybody here. If you want to discuss reasons for the increase in gun violence over recent decades, there are plenty more direct reasons, all of which are welcome to discussion over in the political forum.

I saw on the internet Chad Johnson tweeted about Jakell and CJ Mosely wore something to acknowledge him. As far as bammers go I always respected him for his talent on field and the way he carried himself off. He was always a class guy

The one thing about this rivalry is much of the hatred doesn't carry over to the field. The players take the same recruiting trips together, play with and against each other and usually have mutual respect. You never see them getting into on field brawls like with FSU/Miami, OSU/Michigan, USCe/Clemson etc.

The one thing about this rivalry is much of the hatred doesn't carry over to the field. The players take the same recruiting trips together, play with and against each other and usually have mutual respect. You never see them getting into on field brawls like with FSU/Miami, OSU/Michigan, USCe/Clemson etc.

I think we need more examples of this(not the deaths, obviously) sort of comraderie from the players of either team to make the rivalry healthier overall.

Yes he was, never heard him or chad say anything derogatory towards AU. Unlike the sympathy heisman fatboy rb mark ingram

Expect some changes moving forward in how Auburn University utilizes off campus facilities for housing ALL students. I can't go into more detail but some changes are coming and AU is looking to get more control through contracts, etc.

Expect some changes moving forward in how Auburn University utilizes off campus facilities for housing ALL students. I can't go into more detail but some changes are coming and AU is looking to get more control through contracts, etc.

Good to hear. Wish it had been done before. Maybe it will prevent a future incident like this.

School has the ability to put out the word to students and parents about "not recommended housing" if proper security is not in place. That would put a damper on business I bet.

School has the ability to put out the word to students and parents about "not recommended housing" if proper security is not in place. That would put a damper on business I bet.

Didn't Jakell live in Donahue though?

I mean, what's to prevent our students and student-athletes from venturing off campus to attend a party? Or a bar or an out-of-town event that is totally non-related to Auburn University?

Can Auburn University prevent these private landlords from renting to Tuskegee students/student-athletes? Because it's pretty well known that University Heights has housed Tuskegee students for quite some time and it's been a breeding ground for some unsavory activities for a long while. Another complex that will be the next will the Garden District - same type of renters and same type of sketchy activities.

Can Auburn University prevent these private landlords from renting to Tuskegee students/student-athletes? Because it's pretty well known that University Heights has housed Tuskegee students for quite some time and it's been a breeding ground for some unsavory activities for a long while. Another complex that will be the next will the Garden District - same type of renters and same type of sketchy activities.

The University doesn't own or operate Tiger Lodge so how can they control who they allow to rent? And it's funny you mentioned the Garden District and how it's become. I remember a few years back it was a desired place to be. It seems when a new complex is put up it's the new hot spot, and the once desired places are now 60-75% occupied and have to lower the rent which attracts undesirables.

The University doesn't own or operate Tiger Lodge so how can they control who they allow to rent? And it's funny you mentioned the Garden District and how it's become. I remember a few years back it was a desired place to be. It seems when a new complex is put up it's the new hot spot, and the once desired places are now 60-75% occupied and have to lower the rent which attracts undesirables.

The point I was trying to make to [autigeremt] was that even though the University will try to make changes in the off campus for "ALL" students, I don't understand how the University can force private landowners in the city of Auburn to change their leasing practices through their leasing contracts. It's been stated in earlier posts that few AU students actually live in University Village - there are however many Tuskegee students that have resided in those premises for a long time. Several Tuskegee student-athletes live in Garden District as well.

I just fail to see how the University can enforce or make change in private off-campus housing. It would be like Alabama State trying to dictate their agenda for leasing apartments to people in Montgomery.

Shooting suspect Markale Deandra Hart enters the courtroom for his arraignment in the Jakell Mitchell shooting on Monday, Dec. 15, 2014 in Opelika, Ala

10704083_10102587929799801_7153197527296571643_n.jpg

The point I was trying to make to [autigeremt] was that even though the University will try to make changes in the off campus for "ALL" students, I don't understand how the University can force private landowners in the city of Auburn to change their leasing practices through their leasing contracts. It's been stated in earlier posts that few AU students actually live in University Village - there are however many Tuskegee students that have resided in those premises for a long time. Several Tuskegee student-athletes live in Garden District as well.

I just fail to see how the University can enforce or make change in private off-campus housing. It would be like Alabama State trying to dictate their agenda for leasing apartments to people in Montgomery.

I gotcha. Yea I believe you and I are on the same page with AU having any sort of enforcement on off-campus housing. But I do know that the university has bought and is actively seeking to purchase apartment complexes close to campus. The problem is though is that there is nothing that can be done other than warn athletes about attending off campus parties. Sad world we live in where a group of people are supposedly gathering for a good time and you have to worry about someone not in the network looking for trouble.

Girlfriend says there was an argument with a man and a third man started shooting.

Hart's run-ins with the law started in September of 2010 as an 18-year-old in Tallapoosa County. He faced felony first-degree burglary and felony first-degree theft of property charges following an arrest, but pleaded down.

In May 2012, he pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary, a felony, and one theft-of-property charge was dismissed as part of a plea deal. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but was ordered to serve six months. He was also ordered to serve three years of probation.

While facing the burglary and theft charges, Hart was arrested again on Dec. 15, 2011 for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was indicted in September 2012 and later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. He was ordered to serve a one-year suspended sentence and two years probation.

July 2011: Charged with Unlawful Carry & Failure to Appear in South Carolina ( http://southcarolina...e_Hart_7727877/ )

December 2011: Arrested for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia (while awaiting trial on the burglary).

May 2012: Pleaded down to 2nd degree burglary and was sentenced to 6 years, did 6 months, with three years probation

Sometime after September 2012, pleaded and sentenced to 1-yr suspended and two years probation

So if my math is right, wouldn't he still be on probation from the burglary charge?

And he only got off the drug probation in Sept 2014 or later, i.e., three months or less ago?

And I'll go you one better: if he had been made to serve his full sentence from May 2012, none of those other crimes would have been committed by him, including the senseless killing of Jakell.

But I think I see what you're saying: he violated his probation from that incident but there appears to have been no repercussions for it.

Update:

http://www.al.com/ne...ed_of_kill.html

ALEXANDER CITY, Alabama -- The Tallapoosa District Attorney's Office filed a motion Monday to revoke the probation of Markale Hart from a 2012 burglary plea. District Attorney Paul Jones said the motion was filed after he was notified of Hart's Sunday afternoon arrest in connection with the fatal shooting of Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell.

Jones said he didn't have any comments on Hart's murder arrest. "I don't even know the details of the murder of the college student," he said.

Court records show Hart was arrested on first-degree burglary and first-degree theft charges on Sept. 22, 2010. He pled guilty to the lesser charge of second-degree burglary on May 3, 2012. As part of the agreement, Hart's six-year jail sentence was split, and he was allowed to only serve 6 months in jail followed by 3 years of probation.

Online arrest records show Hart was arrested in July 2011 in Horry County, S.C., on unlawful carry of a pistol and failure to appear charges. Horry County, S.C., Clerk & Courts Office had no record of this arrest.

Kind of strange regarding the South Carolina records. But if there was a warrant out for him in S.C., couldn't/wouldn't they have held him for extradition to S.C. while they had him in custody for the earlier crimes/trials? I don't know a lot about criminal law or interstate procedures, but would love to hear some of the lawyers or L.E. personnel here enlighten me. I am curious.

Update:

ALEXANDER CITY, Alabama -- The Tallapoosa District Attorney's Office filed a motion Monday to revoke the probation of Markale Hart from a 2012 burglary plea. District Attorney Paul Jones said the motion was filed after he was notified of Hart's Sunday afternoon arrest in connection with the fatal shooting of Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell.

Jones said he didn't have any comments on Hart's murder arrest. "I don't even know the details of the murder of the college student," he said.

Court records show Hart was arrested on first-degree burglary and first-degree theft charges on Sept. 22, 2010. He pled guilty to the lesser charge of second-degree burglary on May 3, 2012. As part of the agreement, Hart's six-year jail sentence was split, and he was allowed to only serve 6 months in jail followed by 3 years of probation.

Online arrest records show Hart was arrested in July 2011 in Horry County, S.C., on unlawful carry of a pistol and failure to appear charges. Horry County, S.C., Clerk & Courts Office had no record of this arrest.

Kind of strange regarding the South Carolina records. But if there was a warrant out for him in S.C., couldn't/wouldn't they have held him for extradition to S.C. while they had him in custody for the earlier crimes/trials? I don't know a lot about criminal law or interstate procedures, but would love to hear some of the lawyers or L.E. personnel here enlighten me. I am curious.

Sometimes other jurisdictions will not send anyone to pick up a defendant that is captured in a different state or even sometimes in other counties. City of B'ham wouldn't come to Shelby County a week or so ago to pick up someone they had warrants for. Advised the local PD to tell the person they needed to turn themselves in. Yep, I'm sure that's gonna work.

Too little, too late, Tallapoosa County. Just one more thing to make the parents say "If only..." Such an incredibly sad waste of a young man's life. I hope they have all the information they need to put the perpetrator in jail for the rest of his life, however long that may be.

Update:

Sometimes other jurisdictions will not send anyone to pick up a defendant that is captured in a different state or even sometimes in other counties. City of B'ham wouldn't come to Shelby County a week or so ago to pick up someone they had warrants for. Advised the local PD to tell the person they needed to turn themselves in. Yep, I'm sure that's gonna work.

Understood, thanks. Makes sense that it could depend on available manpower/resources and the severity of the crime...but regrettable.

A human life is a precious thing given to us by God. Many kids these days just have no respect for human life. God needs to be put back in the schools. Parents have got to put God in the lives of their children. Parents have got to teach kids that life is not a video game. You can't press a button on a controller and start over. This was probably over something very inconsequential and definitely not worth taking a life over.

Praying for the Mitchell Family, The Opelika HS Family and the AU Family.

amen

Archived