AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

We will know more about the "suspect" in a few days....bet this ain't his first rodeo.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to hear this and will be praying for his friends, teammates, and family. What if anything can be done to put a stop to this kind of tragedy? I know more often than not things are just out of the Football staff's control but this seems to happen more to us than anywhere. What do you think recruits parents think about this?

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

^^ Agreed!! Put Prayer back in school so the kids are exposed to it every day. If somebody doesn't believe in God then they can step out of the room or just sit there quietly reflecting or praising Allah, Buddha, etc. It worked for many years before a few decided we needed to be more tolerant and politically correct. Are you offended? Sorry, not sorry.

I do believe you're looking at the wrong Constitution there, A4E. Aside from that, jacked up thugs that take people's lives on a whim, or for revenge, or whatever terrible thing has happened here are not exactly the kind of people who would be in school and paying attention long enough for your...um...plan...to work.

It's a sad day when a word like "tolerance" is thrown around like an epithet.

Offended? Perhaps your tolerance is too low.

(Edit: I'm not going to argue that instilling values in these kids isn't going to be a good thing, but having it done in a compulsory nature takes away from the people that should be doing it - parents. You want to eliminate some of this stuff? Work on the socioeconomic determinants that lead to parents and mentors not being there to teach them.

Aside from all of this, this is not an appropriate time or place to have a discussion about these things. We lost a kid today. We can talk about this stuff later...for now, let's grieve and support, not get combative.)

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

^^ Agreed!! Put Prayer back in school so the kids are exposed to it every day. If somebody doesn't believe in God then they can step out of the room or just sit there quietly reflecting or praising Allah, Buddha, etc. It worked for many years before a few decided we needed to be more tolerant and politically correct. Are you offended? Sorry, not sorry.

I do believe you're looking at the wrong Constitution there, A4E. Aside from that, jacked up thugs that take people's lives on a whim, or for revenge, or whatever terrible thing has happened here are not exactly the kind of people who would be in school and paying attention long enough for your...um...plan...to work.

Perhaps if there was two parent families, taught to believe in Christ, we wouldn't have thugs....just a thought.

Perhaps if there was two parent families, taught to believe in Christ, we wouldn't have thugs....just a thought.

bingo!!!!!!

Here is what hurts so badly. A young man with loads of potential to be successful in life even if he never played another down of football is now gone. I would be willing to bet the one who took his life had little or nothing to offer. I don't know what we as a society do about it but something has to change.

my words on this subject may offend some, so i apologize, in advance, that is not my intention.

I know from reading some of the earlier posts, folks were in total anguish that this could happen at Auburn, to someone in our extended family and they were wondering how in the world could the powers that be let something like this happen in Auburn. This is a huge tragedy, and my heart breaks for his family. But, my heart also breaks for all the other children of the world who were murdered yesterday and last week. My heart breaks for those who were killed by a drunk driver. My hearts breaks for those children who are dying of cancer. Each and every one of these kids is a travesty and ALL are just as sad as what happened to this young man. Its tragic, but not because he played football for Auburn, not because he might be a pro one day, not because people followed him on twitter. Its tragic because he had a family who loved him. A family whose hearts are breaking right now. I care not that he was a football player, but i care that his life was tragically taken from him.

What happened last night was not an Auburn thing. It happens in every large town and city in our great country. It happens, somewhere, daily. Its our whole culture, something that needs to be worked on from top to bottom. and not something that our coaches or the school or the city could of prevented individually. Its not something his parents could have prevented. It is something though, that on a whole, with every one working together, somehow, maybe it could have been prevented.

I've read on here were folks are suggesting that some kind of security needs to be mandatory for such parties. That's totally unrealistic. There were two parties last nght, just at that one complex. imagine how many there were city wide. We were all kids once, and i have been in the wrong place more times than once. And even though, i was in the good, things didn't turn out for the good. Question, would i or any of you have agreed to a monitor or security while you were in school??? I really doubt it.

As far as these thugs, they are the exact kind or people which cause us to be labeled as racist. Although, i honestly don't know if the guy they arrested was white or black. I do know, in the exact same situation, when i was young i would of manned up and not took any s***, today when i see a thug ( in appearance), i just walk away and avoid contact. I Wish he could have did the same.

Im praying for Jakell and his family and i will continue to do so. Ill Also pray for those murdered last night , who we will never know their name.

Does anyone know what really happend to Jake?

I just wonder if it was a fight, or a robbery, or an argument, or just a random act...?

Deon Mix tweeted that Jake took 4 to the chest and 2 to the back...

This dude obviously wanted him. I hope this punk fries!

RIP Jakell Mitchell. What a senseless tragedy for the Mitchell Family. Such a nice kid.

People are searching for answers in this thread on stopping this. While I agree with many of the longer term societal solutions, they also take time, so I wanted to comment on some of the short term solutions mentioned.

1. Bulldoze the place. Yes you could do that and I have no problem with it. But a piece of real estate didn't cause this to happen and the problem will just remain. It will move down the street to the next complex with vacancies and cheaper rents.

2. Require security at all Apt complexes. No problem there either but the rents will go up all over town because that doesn't come cheap.

3. Ban the football team from that place. Sounds good to me and I would do that immediately. Then what about the house party next door or on the other part of town ? Might have to do that too and I have no problem with that either.

However it seems to me that the biggest problem is the out of towners crashing parties with guns. That appears to be a common theme in both of these shootings. So unless you are willing to deal with that, all the above does nothing. But how do you do that ? Checkpoints and roadblocks ? Maybe so.

The "alleged" shooter apparently has a rap sheet in South Carolina and Alabama....so what was a guy like that doing at a block party in Auburn?

bingo!!!!!!

and a very good thought!

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

Because this is what goes on at a college. It's a tragic situation but if people think locking football players in on campus away from the real world will stop these situations from happening....it's not going to happen. Agree that there should be some measures taken...just not sure that shutting this place down will solve most of the answers b/c students and non students could easily pick up and move to another area that would present the same issues. It's just sad b/c this could've easily taken place in a suburban area. Younger people today and i include myself b/c i'm only 36 are just so quick to shot first rather than just walk away. Anything can set a person off and you can't say anything to people anymore.

I completely agree, which is why I've never said anything about locking people down or shutting a place down.

And you are right it is college, and in many ways it's the purpose of college to introduce young people to different groups of people and learn how to co-exist. But, in school when I went to house parties I was going to house parties of students, with other students there and not really many other types of people. These don't sound like your typical college parties.

Maybe my experience was unique though.

Yea..you are likely to party with other students but there is certainly co mingling with those that are non students in your same age range. No different than when i was at Auburn; people are just more inclined to pack guns than fists now though. Like i said in another post...this is nothing new with outsiders trying to flex their muscles. Heck even some attending Auburn tried to pick fights with athletes at Auburn. Since it is someone on the football team he gets more attention. Not saying it is an epidemic problem but it's nothing new.

This is definitely true. I remember last year seeing someone trying to fight Lutz of all people in SkyBar for seemingly no reason.

The "alleged" shooter apparently has a rap sheet in South Carolina and Alabama....so what was a guy like that doing at a block party in Auburn?

Possibly trying to sell drugs?

Colleges are known for their drug use and experimentation. Locate a party, meet a few people, push your product. Make sells for that night, potentially set up a established clientele.

(Edit: I'm not going to argue that instilling values in these kids isn't going to be a good thing, but having it done in a compulsory nature takes away from the people that should be doing it - parents. You want to eliminate some of this stuff? Work on the socioeconomic determinants that lead to parents and mentors not being there to teach them.

Aside from all of this, this is not an appropriate time or place to have a discussion about these things. We lost a kid today. We can talk about this stuff later...for now, let's grieve and support, not get combative.)

I don't remember what it was that I disagreed with you about that one time but it hasn't happened again since. :thumbsup:

Colleges are known for their drug use and experimentation. Locate a party, meet a few people, push your product. Make sells for that night, potentially set up a established clientele.

Or he may have simply had a friend in attendance. I know all the parties I've ever been to, which have been many, there was always at least one person there that was from out of town or another school.

I don't remember what it was that I disagreed with you about that one time but it hasn't happened again since. :thumbsup:/>

Agree...what.a.post.

This whole thing is incredibly painful to me. I have two young kids. Just the thought of what the Mitchell's are going through is like a punch in the gut. But the worst part of it, at least for me, is the fact that two guys lost their lives here.

The shooter is 22. That's a baby shooting a baby. He's goingto get life in prison or death. His life is over. I'm sure he's got people too, and this is going to gut them too.

It's just a tragedy. Obviously, losing a member of the Auburn family hurts the most, but the whole situation is awful.

Or he may have simply had a friend in attendance. I know all the parties I've ever been to, which have been many, there was always at least one person there that was from out of town or another school.

True.

I have seen both.

I was running with the multiple rap sheets though.

I am completely stunned. I can't think of any solutions to this problem right now. I am just so incredibly sad for Jakell's family, his friends and his coaches and teammates. God can always create something good from something tragic. Maybe there will be someone who makes a decision not to go to this kind of party anymore. Maybe someone will make an even deeper spiritual decision because of the life questions that an incident like this will bring. All I know is that I will be in prayer for those affected and will now worry more about my daughter, who works for an apartment complex in Auburn. I am thankful that our team has some strong spiritual advisors that can help them through the tough times ahead. God bless them all.

bingo!!!!!!

and a very good thought!

It's not that simple.

I am as you describe, a Jesus freak...my kids are not immune because the world has an incredibly powerful pull.

Being a (good and effective) parent is not as easy as loving your spouse, going to church and studying the Word, going to work, voting and paying taxes.

It's overwhelming to think about the pain that the Mitchell's are experiencing tonight. My heart aches for them.

I wish they knew that I am praying for them and using this as a teachable moment with my sixteen year old son.

It's not that simple.

I am as you describe, a Jesus freak...my kids are not immune because the world has an incredibly powerful pull.

Being a (good and effective) parent is not as easy as loving your spouse, going to church and studying the Word, going to work, voting and paying taxes.

It's overwhelming to think about the pain that the Mitchell's are experiencing tonight. My heart aches for them.

I wish they knew that I am praying for them and using this as a teachable moment with my sixteen year old son.

I snipped out the ridiculously large nest quote and coming out of lurk mode for this.

Despite what you may think, Christians and other religious types do not now, nor have they ever had a monopoly on good & moral behavior.

What happened was a tragedy and had nothing to do with what religion the attackers may or may not have had. A young man lost his life before he had a real chance to live it.

Ever studied the Mafia?

Archived