AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

If you are going to have these house parties you are going to have to arrange some type of security. Don't know exact way that is best but you just can't take the chance on something like this happening.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's wait for the facts of the incident to come out. It could be a failed robbery or outside thugs picking a fight. But we know this isn't AU students involved

NO. NO. NO. This just can't be happening again. He was just a kid. Just 18. He had his whole life in front of him. This is terrible.He was his mama's baby, people. This has GOT to stop!

Either clean Tiger Lodge up or shut it down

Or don't allow Auburn players to go there

Why was this place not off limits to the team after the other incident?

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

Awful stuff for sure and I don't think there's an easy fix for this. As others have said, parties have always happened and will always continue to happen. Doesn't matter about the bars. Doesn't matter about the ages. Kids will gather and party and unfortunately crappy stuff happens. This just happens to be a football player so it gets extra attention.

Prayer sent for all affected.

I am just heartbroken. As a mother, with my own 20 year old son in college....I cannot imagine the pain his parents must feel. There is worry when parents send their children off to school, and now for this family,,, their worst nightmare has come true. I am hurting for them, and for his friends,coaches and team mates. This is such a tragedy.

What needs to be done to stop these senseless murders....I do not know. The problem is bigger and more complex than what happens in one apartment community. I am not sure what Auburn can do that won't be more than just a band aid.

Haven't read any articles, but is there anything about an armed security guard or policeman on the premises 24/7?

If those types of security are provided....the rent goes up.

All true but what I read about this type thing is that it is usually a spontaneous gathering with no official host ...just a bunch of folks getting together to "party" which means a lot of things. Cities close motels and nightclubs that are notorious for this kind of violence....see no reason why AU could not put a lock on the gate of this place.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

I realize this was a party, but that does not mean that Jakell was partaking in alcohol. Let's not get too far ahead of the facts coming out.

I realize this was a party, but that does not mean that Jakell was partaking in alcohol. Let's not get too far ahead of the facts coming out.

This conversation is not about Jakell....it's about the apartment complex, the event and the kind of things that often happen there. I expect the shootings are not the only disturbances that have taken place there over the years.

Haven't read any articles, but is there anything about an armed security guard or policeman on the premises 24/7?

If those types of security are provided....the rent goes up.

Enough murders and other violent/non violent crimes happen, and there won't be anyone willing to pay rent.

From Deshaun Davis's instagram:

Jakell- "Stand up 12!" Me- "I'm tired bro" Jakell- "Man come on bro we got 2 more. Here, lean on me!" Me-*stands up* Jakell-"I gotcha big bro. We good. Let's get this money!" He literally got behind me and pushed me through the line the last 2 reps! That day I realized Jakell Mitchell was someone I could depend on! Someone I could look to when I needed strength. That extra push. You were so amped for spring ball/next season. Your love for the game was so special man. Your IG name says it all "@_refuse2lose_" You weren't going to be denied that starting spot. I know I was gone hear your name called for 6 on Saturdays. But God had a bigger plan. He needed you scoring touchdowns for HIS team! Still can't believe it but I don't question God! #RIPJakell31 #MoreThanJustTeammates #ScoreATouchdown4Me

So sad to lose such a good athlete and a better young man

So sad. Prayers sent for his family and all affected.

Nice article on Jakell from recruitment season that gives some good background. Sounds like his dad is a good man who has to be hurting terribly today.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/a-list_no_12_opelikas_jakell_m.html

It's not a problem of dorms either, its a problem of venues for entertainment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't many bars/clubs that cater to certain aspects of black culture in Auburn. Bars downtown are populated by mostly white kids, and young people are going to create venues that appeal to them. The problem with house parties is that no one regulates them, and when problems occur they are self policed, that's where violence comes into play. Instead of dealing with bouncers, or management, or police, kids are being policed by their peers, and that's just asking for it.

I don't know the bar scene in Auburn any more, but unless things have drastically changed, there probably aren't many black clubs anywhere near campus/downtown. That said, even if there were, there will still be house parties. White kids have them, too. Lots of them. They're especially popular with underage kids like Jakell. I was at 2 house parties at Auburn- both attended exclusively by upper middle class white kids- where gunfire occurred (incredibly, I had left both right before it happened).

So sad and angry to hear this happened. Lots of people who covered his recruitment seem genuinely hurt by the news and saying what a great kid he was. RIP, Jakell. Damn.

Good post. I hope I didn't sound like I was only assigning violence to predominantly black house parties. That wasn't my intention, just that House parties by nature they are more unpredictable and potentially dangerous, and especially attractive to underage students as you mentioned.

I wasn't implying that he was drinking by any means, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just referring to the party in general, parties usually mean alcohol. I was just curious if there was alcohol, and underage participation if the renter or owner could be held responsible. The question really would be if the shooter was of age and/or drinking. I have had a close family member murdered and I know that most importantly you want the person found, charged and convicted for as long as possible. If the renter or owner of where the party is held could be held liable, it may help discourage others. Will it stop parties, no, but maybe someone will think twice before hosting one. As I said, I have been through this, not with my child though. I don't want to sound insensitive to his families grief what so ever. The tears rolling down my cheeks are a promise I am not. I am just thinking of ways to try to keep this from happening again. I know that is next to impossible, but that doesn't mean not to try. I will just stick to praying for this boys family, bless them.

Archived