AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

Despite what you may think, Christians and other religious types do not now, nor have they ever had a monopoly on good & moral behavior.

Nope, and in many cases it's quite the opposite (unfortunately).

And, as I said, their kids are not immune to their own selfish desires or of those around them who might bring them harm.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite what you may think, Christians and other religious types do not now, nor have they ever had a monopoly on good & moral behavior.

Nope, and in many cases it's quite the opposite (unfortunately).

And, as I said, their kids are not immune to their own selfish desires or of those around them who might bring them harm.

I know that all the catholic school kids, where they had mandatory chapel and theology classes, weren't exactly all saints either.

Whether or not prayer/Christianity is involved in school won't solve the world's problems.

People can choose to believe in what they want, teaching one way or another won't prevent all youth from traveling the wrong path.

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

^^ Agreed!! Put Prayer back in school so the kids are exposed to it every day. If somebody doesn't believe in God then they can step out of the room or just sit there quietly reflecting or praising Allah, Buddha, etc. It worked for many years before a few decided we needed to be more tolerant and politically correct. Are you offended? Sorry, not sorry.

I do believe you're looking at the wrong Constitution there, A4E. Aside from that, jacked up thugs that take people's lives on a whim, or for revenge, or whatever terrible thing has happened here are not exactly the kind of people who would be in school and paying attention long enough for your...um...plan...to work.

It's a sad day when a word like "tolerance" is thrown around like an epithet.

Offended? Perhaps your tolerance is too low.

Perhaps if there was two parent families, taught to believe in Christ, we wouldn't have thugs....just a thought.

Ever studied the Mafia?

I am Italian. I didn't have to study sin. I sinned. I sin today. I am alive because my father, and my mother loved me enough to make darn sure I knew right from wrong. And God...with a capital "G" did the rest. I pray only good things for you. God bless, and War Eagle!

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

Because this is what goes on at a college. It's a tragic situation but if people think locking football players in on campus away from the real world will stop these situations from happening....it's not going to happen. Agree that there should be some measures taken...just not sure that shutting this place down will solve most of the answers b/c students and non students could easily pick up and move to another area that would present the same issues. It's just sad b/c this could've easily taken place in a suburban area. Younger people today and i include myself b/c i'm only 36 are just so quick to shot first rather than just walk away. Anything can set a person off and you can't say anything to people anymore.

I completely agree, which is why I've never said anything about locking people down or shutting a place down.

And you are right it is college, and in many ways it's the purpose of college to introduce young people to different groups of people and learn how to co-exist. But, in school when I went to house parties I was going to house parties of students, with other students there and not really many other types of people. These don't sound like your typical college parties.

Maybe my experience was unique though.

Yea..you are likely to party with other students but there is certainly co mingling with those that are non students in your same age range. No different than when i was at Auburn; people are just more inclined to pack guns than fists now though. Like i said in another post...this is nothing new with outsiders trying to flex their muscles. Heck even some attending Auburn tried to pick fights with athletes at Auburn. Since it is someone on the football team he gets more attention. Not saying it is an epidemic problem but it's nothing new.

This is definitely true. I remember last year seeing someone trying to fight Lutz of all people in SkyBar for seemingly no reason.

Yep. I know some want to make it about race but it applies to all. Like i said i was with a mixed crowd when i encountered this on a couple of occasions. Some people just don't like to see others succeed and they try to test you. Majority of the time players are with other players and they are in their dorms. With it being at the end of the season and classes coming to a close players are off campus more. I'm sure our coaches have had discussions with them about being careful where they are and who they are around but they can't be locked in a dorm 24/7.

I do think more security is needed in areas that are known to have sketchy people but i don't think just tearing down the apartments would solve everything b/c students can easily pick up and party elsewhere and you'd have the same issues.

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

Because this is what goes on at a college. It's a tragic situation but if people think locking football players in on campus away from the real world will stop these situations from happening....it's not going to happen. Agree that there should be some measures taken...just not sure that shutting this place down will solve most of the answers b/c students and non students could easily pick up and move to another area that would present the same issues. It's just sad b/c this could've easily taken place in a suburban area. Younger people today and i include myself b/c i'm only 36 are just so quick to shot first rather than just walk away. Anything can set a person off and you can't say anything to people anymore.

I completely agree, which is why I've never said anything about locking people down or shutting a place down.

And you are right it is college, and in many ways it's the purpose of college to introduce young people to different groups of people and learn how to co-exist. But, in school when I went to house parties I was going to house parties of students, with other students there and not really many other types of people. These don't sound like your typical college parties.

Yea..you are likely to party with other students but there is certainly co mingling with those that are non students in your same age range. No different than when i was at Auburn; people are just more inclined to pack guns than fists now though. Like i said in another post...this is nothing new with outsiders trying to flex their muscles. Heck even some attending Auburn tried to pick fights with athletes at Auburn. Since it is someone on the football team he gets more attention. Not saying it is an epidemic problem but it's nothing new.

This is definitely true. I remember last year seeing someone trying to fight Lutz of all people in SkyBar for seemingly no reason.

Yep. I know some want to make it about race but it applies to all. Like i said i was with a mixed crowd when i encountered this on a couple of occasions. Some people just don't like to see others succeed and they try to test you. Majority of the time players are with other players and they are in their dorms. With it being at the end of the season and classes coming to a close players are off campus more. I'm sure our coaches have had discussions with them about being careful where they are and who they are around but they can't be locked in a dorm 24/7.

I do think more security is needed in areas that are known to have sketchy people but i don't think just tearing down the apartments would solve everything b/c students can easily pick up and party elsewhere and you'd have the same issues.

Yeah, I agree on all accounts. The race stuff is definitely overblown as this seems to be more of a "success" thing than anything else. I also agree that things such as curfews or banning players from visiting that complex, while perhaps good ideas, are ultimately only band-aids in the long run. Unfortunately, I think the best strategy moving forward is simply to impress upon the student athletes that, fairly or unfairly, they are held to a higher standard than normal students both in terms of staying out of trouble and in terms of staying safe. I think often the amount of emphasis placed on the former of those takes away from the importance of the latter. But as prominent embodiments of success within the community, athletes inherently carry around targets on their backs for everyone from trolls to the far more nefarious. Hopefully, the coaching staff and leaders on the team make impressing this unfortunate reality upon the freshmen a priority moving forward so that we never have to read headlines like this again.

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

^^ Agreed!! Put Prayer back in school so the kids are exposed to it every day. If somebody doesn't believe in God then they can step out of the room or just sit there quietly reflecting or praising Allah, Buddha, etc. It worked for many years before a few decided we needed to be more tolerant and politically correct. Are you offended? Sorry, not sorry.

I do believe you're looking at the wrong Constitution there, A4E. Aside from that, jacked up thugs that take people's lives on a whim, or for revenge, or whatever terrible thing has happened here are not exactly the kind of people who would be in school and paying attention long enough for your...um...plan...to work.

It's a sad day when a word like "tolerance" is thrown around like an epithet.

Offended? Perhaps your tolerance is too low.

Perhaps if there was two parent families, taught to believe in Christ, we wouldn't have thugs....just a thought.

bingo!!!!!!

and a very good thought!

It's not that simple.

I am as you describe, a Jesus freak...my kids are not immune because the world has an incredibly powerful pull.

Being a (good and effective) parent is not as easy as loving your spouse, going to church and studying the Word, going to work, voting and paying taxes.

It's overwhelming to think about the pain that the Mitchell's are experiencing tonight. My heart aches for them.

I wish they knew that I am praying for them and using this as a teachable moment with my sixteen year old son.

Great post

Yeah, I agree on all accounts. The race stuff is definitely overblown as this seems to be more of a "success" thing than anything else. I also agree that things such as curfews or banning players from visiting that complex, while perhaps good ideas, are ultimately only band-aids in the long run. Unfortunately, I think the best strategy moving forward is simply to impress upon the student athletes that, fairly or unfairly, they are held to a higher standard than normal students both in terms of staying out of trouble and in terms of staying safe. I think often the amount of emphasis placed on the former of those takes away from the importance of the latter. But as prominent embodiments of success within the community, athletes inherently carry around targets on their backs for everyone from trolls to the far more nefarious. Hopefully, the coaching staff and leaders on the team make impressing this unfortunate reality upon the freshmen a priority moving forward so that we never have to read headlines like this again.

Agree 100%. So sad. I don't want parents feeling like they can't send their kids to Auburn. Student athlete or non student athlete. I enjoyed my time there and it exposed me to people from various places and things i normally wouldn't have the had the to be exposed to if i wasn't attending and i wouldn't have changed for the world. Like any place it has it's issues. Just really hate this...Man.

A tragic situation. I pray for his family and friends. There has been an arrest in the case, and as I thought, the suspect has had prior arrests for illegaly carrying a gun. This is the type of person you have to really watch out for. They think the gun makes them more of a man and usually have no compunction about using it after they initiate a confrontation. The coaches need to advise players that they are in a different environment than they were in high school. They are going to come in contact with people who see them as someone to be challenged because of their phyiscal stature as well as their standing as college athletes. The thugs that are pretty much everywherei n this world will confront players to prove their manhood in the only way they know how and see the gun as their "equalizer" in life. They don't possess the skills or maturity to handle situations any differently than the way they see it done in movies and think everyone owes them respect for being alive. also, athletes who are young and immature think they are bullet-proof and no one will mess with them because they are college athletes. They don't realize that their very presence intimidates some low life whose only self esteem comes from their willingness to kill another human being for any reason they see fit. Someone in authority needs to put pressure on the owners of that complex to clean it up and weed out the bad element. Coaches can warn players about places like that, but there's not a whole lot they can do when the players leave campus. They can't keep armed guards on them all the time.

This was absolutely awful news to wake up to this morning. 15 hours later it still doesn't feel like reality. Praying for healing for the Mitchell family, his teammates, coaches, and friends.

Girlfriend says there was an argument with a man and a third man started shooting.

http://www.al.com/au...9140c3c1abdc38d

Are you kidding me with $150,000 bond. There should be no bond for him.

http://www.al.com/au...t_story_package

Hart's run-ins with the law started in September of 2010 as an 18-year-old in Tallapoosa County. He faced felony first-degree burglary and felony first-degree theft of property charges following an arrest, but pleaded down.

In May 2012, he pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary, a felony, and one theft-of-property charge was dismissed as part of a plea deal. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but was ordered to serve six months. He was also ordered to serve three years of probation.

While facing the burglary and theft charges, Hart was arrested again on Dec. 15, 2011 for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was indicted in September 2012 and later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. He was ordered to serve a one-year suspended sentence and two years probation.

So let's get this timeline straight:

September 2010: Arrested on burglary & theft charges.

July 2011: Charged with Unlawful Carry & Failure to Appear in South Carolina ( http://southcarolina...e_Hart_7727877/ )

December 2011: Arrested for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia (while awaiting trial on the burglary).

May 2012: Pleaded down to 2nd degree burglary and was sentenced to 6 years, did 6 months, with three years probation

September 2012: Indicted on the drug charges

Sometime after September 2012, pleaded and sentenced to 1-yr suspended and two years probation

So if my math is right, wouldn't he still be on probation from the burglary charge?

And he only got off the drug probation in Sept 2014 or later, i.e., three months or less ago?

And already has a "Failure to Appear" charge in SC?

Yeah that's the sort of record I'd bond out..not. :glare::blink:

I served on a jury for a capital muder case in Lee county about 15 years ago. Very interesting experience... when deciding the murderor's sentence, we had a majority vote for execution but it has to be unanimous for the death penalty. So we came back with life without parole. I certainly hope the guy who killed Jakell gets the judge we had for that trial... He over ruled our decision and the guy is currently on death row appealing...

An argument is no reason to take the life of someone. I don't know what happened but it could not have been bad enough to kill. What happened to a good ol fist fight? Grab some gloves and a video camera. Still don't understand. I know there are a lot of people hurting. Still praying

An argument is no reason to take the life of someone. I don't know what happened but it could not have been bad enough to kill. What happened to a good ol fist fight? Grab some gloves and a video camera. Still don't understand. I know there are a lot of people hurting. Still praying

That is the difference between people like us and others. We all grew up in an era where we got into a fistfight. It , I think, is the drug culture and the gansta rap mentality. You disrespect me I will kill you.

I remember in middle school watching a PE teacher handed two boys over sized boxing gloves and head gear and gave them two min to fight it out. I know this is different but the shoot first mentality has got to stop. Be the bigger man and walk away.

That is the difference between people like us and others. We all grew up in an era where we got into a fistfight. It , I think, is the drug culture and the gansta rap mentality. You disrespect me I will kill you.

Ding Ding.

Girlfriend says there was an argument with a man and a third man started shooting.

http://www.al.com/au...9140c3c1abdc38d

Are you kidding me with $150,000 bond. There should be no bond for him.

http://www.al.com/au...t_story_package

Hart's run-ins with the law started in September of 2010 as an 18-year-old in Tallapoosa County. He faced felony first-degree burglary and felony first-degree theft of property charges following an arrest, but pleaded down.

In May 2012, he pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary, a felony, and one theft-of-property charge was dismissed as part of a plea deal. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but was ordered to serve six months. He was also ordered to serve three years of probation.

While facing the burglary and theft charges, Hart was arrested again on Dec. 15, 2011 for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was indicted in September 2012 and later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. He was ordered to serve a one-year suspended sentence and two years probation.

So let's get this timeline straight:

September 2010: Arrested on burglary & theft charges.

July 2011: Charged with Unlawful Carry & Failure to Appear in South Carolina ( http://southcarolina...e_Hart_7727877/ )

December 2011: Arrested for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia (while awaiting trial on the burglary).

May 2012: Pleaded down to 2nd degree burglary and was sentenced to 6 years, did 6 months, with three years probation

September 2012: Indicted on the drug charges

Sometime after September 2012, pleaded and sentenced to 1-yr suspended and two years probation

So if my math is right, wouldn't he still be on probation from the burglary charge?

And he only got off the drug probation in Sept 2014 or later, i.e., three months or less ago?

And already has a "Failure to Appear" charge in SC?

Yeah that's the sort of record I'd bond out..not. :glare:/> :blink:/>

And I'll go you one better: if he had been made to serve his full sentence from May 2012, none of those other crimes would have been committed by him, including the senseless killing of Jakell.

But I think I see what you're saying: he violated his probation from that incident but there appears to have been no repercussions for it.

Archived