Obama has now outperformed Reagan on jobs, growth and investing

RunInRed

I did say I'm not speaking on Brown multiple times and you do know the death was ruled a homicide right. Crushing his wind pipe?

I missed you say ' not Brown ' when I replied . My bad.

There are legal degrees of homicide, which don't always include intent or fault.

It wasn't murder / man slaughter.

I agree I was just saying they did say the choke hold played a part of his passing not that he was just fat (which I agree certainly didn't help) and smoking while having asthma is crazy to me (I have asthma so him saying I can't breathe hits a little close to home because I can imagine how desperate he may have been before he died)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm old enough to remember democrats screaming that the president of the United States could do nothing about the economy, thus Reagan deserved no credit for turning the country around. Shouldn't the same apply to Obama? :)/>

Also due to being quite ancient, I remember the utter despair the country was in and the "stagflation" that was rampant when Reagan took over. Eight years later we felt a whole lot better about ourselves. I don't see the mood of the country being a whole lot better now than it was when Obama took over. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Then there's Russia, talk of sanctions against our only democratic ally in the mid-east, Israel, and the concurrent appeasement of Iran. But those are things that are hard to quantify.

A president's time in office is sort of like pretty, not easy to define but I know it when I see it. Reagan's term was easy on the eyes while Obama's reign has not been pretty.

Government was more bipartisan and functional then. Reagan engaged in 8 years of stimulus spending and did more than appease Iran-- he gave them arms for hostages. He also didn't inherit two unwinnable wars. Obama inherited a huge mess and had an opposition party committed to making his time in office as difficult as possible, no matter the cost to the country. Those good feelings of the Reagan years were based on a false foundation then and are now gone forever.

All of the facts in the world will never break through Mikey's "Obama sux" perspective. Once critical thought surrenders to indoctrination, it is over.

I see you've been looking in a mirror!

:Sing: The old, "no you are" response. I love the classics. :Sing:

Now way they're as ridiculous as the idiotic chuckleheaded insults that are your stock and trade. There is simply no frickin way to be a bigger hypocritical phony than you are itchy.

I'm old enough to remember democrats screaming that the president of the United States could do nothing about the economy, thus Reagan deserved no credit for turning the country around. Shouldn't the same apply to Obama? :)/>

Also due to being quite ancient, I remember the utter despair the country was in and the "stagflation" that was rampant when Reagan took over. Eight years later we felt a whole lot better about ourselves. I don't see the mood of the country being a whole lot better now than it was when Obama took over. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Then there's Russia, talk of sanctions against our only democratic ally in the mid-east, Israel, and the concurrent appeasement of Iran. But those are things that are hard to quantify.

A president's time in office is sort of like pretty, not easy to define but I know it when I see it. Reagan's term was easy on the eyes while Obama's reign has not been pretty.

Government was more bipartisan and functional then. Reagan engaged in 8 years of stimulus spending and did more than appease Iran-- he gave them arms for hostages. He also didn't inherit two unwinnable wars. Obama inherited a huge mess and had an opposition party committed to making his time in office as difficult as possible, no matter the cost to the country. Those good feelings of the Reagan years were based on a false foundation then and are now gone forever.

All of the facts in the world will never break through Mikey's "Obama sux" perspective. Once critical thought surrenders to indoctrination, it is over.

I see you've been looking in a mirror!

:Sing: The old, "no you are" response. I love the classics. :Sing:

Now way they're as ridiculous as the idiotic chuckleheaded insults that are your stock and trade. There is simply no frickin way to be a bigger hypocritical phony than you are itchy.

:Sing: :Sing: :Sing: You are one of the most unintentionally humorous people I have ever encountered. :Sing: :Sing: :Sing:

Now way? :Sing: :Sing: :Sing:

Oh ok you're just going to state it as if it was a fact....got you. I don't agree. His influence was much greater 4 or 5 years ago. While social media connects you to people all over the world.....And once again I am the demographic in question but I guess you'd know about the younger black generation than me

Any President, this one more than any other, has the power of govt in his hands. THAT is why Obama is bigger than social media. He DRIVES policy.

and it's " than I ", not " than me " , FYI.

Can you describe what you mean by that "policy"?

Since I've been speaking today I have said I'm not speaking on Brown but that's all you guys want to speak on, my convo has been driven to garner and every other post YOU all bring up Brown.....interesting. And cops going through background checks when they are hired and their background checks as policemen are two different things. Cop is shot, it's tragic and not questioned, at one point of time nypd was the most corrupt police department in the country....

Well, unless you specify, and SAY Garner, and not Brown, then I'm gonna comment on Brown. Know why ? Because THAT case was first, and THAT case involved a cop actually SHOOTING " an unarmed black man ", where as Garner - brutally honest here - was on video resisting arrest and was a really fat, unhealthy man who got into a physical altercation that ended up doing him in. The cops didn't crush his wind pipe, or choke him to death. He was asthmatic, and over weight, and when he went down, in a scuffle, THAT is what killed him.

When a person is truly out of breath, they're not even going to be able to SPEAK and say " I can't breathe " . He likely was having a heart attack then and there, but tragically, the cops hear nothing but excuses when ever they come across someone like that , who doesn't want to play nicely, so they just tune out any cries of the suspect.

99/ 100 times, I bet the cops hear a lie, and eventually , there's one time when the person isn't lying, it ends up costing him his life.

Well that certainly proves Raptor is taking an objective look at this and not being an apologist for LEO overreaction. :-\

Good Grief. I have never seen such delusional comments. :no:

Policy means ACA, unilateral changing of immigration laws, working with Lois Lerner to deny Americans of their rights, drivers license for illegals, his Cuba " memo ", ...

I'm old enough to remember democrats screaming that the president of the United States could do nothing about the economy, thus Reagan deserved no credit for turning the country around. Shouldn't the same apply to Obama? :)

You need to open your mind to alternative perspectives on Reagan's presidency. Sure, he made people feel good, but the facts don't really support the idea of him as a great POTUS, IMO. He wasn't a disaster (like W), but he wasn't great either.

Policy means ACA, unilateral changing of immigration laws, working with Lois Lerner to deny Americans of their rights, drivers license for illegals, his Cuba " memo ", ...

And this relates to the power that Obama wields over social issues compared to the power of mass media, how???

Obama-haters aside, I'm just throwing these facts out there (guess what, the economy continues to improve and in a big way)...

• 57 straight months (the longest streak on record) of private sector growth totaling 10.9 million jobs
  • More importantly, we're also now seeing wage gains across the board and annual GDP is on a 4% growth trajectory under Obama.
  • President Obama has achieved a 5.8% unemployment rate in his sixth year, fully one year faster than President Reagan did. At this point in his presidency, President Reagan was still struggling with 7.1% unemployment, and he did not reach into the mid-low 6% range for another full year.
  • Further, leading economist forecast unemployment will fall to around 5.4% by summer, 2015. A rate President Reagan was unable to achieve during his two terms.
  • Over the first 70 months of their presidencies ... a dollar invested in the stock market when Reagan assumed the presidency would have yielded a staggering 190% return. Pretty good. However, investors have gained a 220% over the last 6 years under Obama. The S&P has crested 2,000 and the DOW is poised to reach 20,000.
  • We've now had 66 straight months of economic expansion, and 28 consecutive months of manufacturing expansion.
  • Additionally, Obama has reduced federal employment, which grew under Reagan (especially when including military personnel,) and truly delivered a “smaller government.”

Now before you get all giddy on a response about the "labor participation rate" remember, the 'Boomers’ are retiring and as a result, yes, we are seeing the percentage of those seeking employment decline. I would argue, this has nothing to do with job availability (which is very strong), and everything to do with a highly predictable aging demographic.

Anyways, I found all this interesting. America is making real progress ... Forward!

Got a link so we can review the data? Unless you gather all the data by yourself. Thanks.

Nothing I said was delusional , homer. Cite where I was wrong, or kindly retract your comments.

And this relates to the power that Obama wields over social issues compared to the power of mass media, how???

Obama has more power to affect your life far more than all mass media combined.

Kony 2012. Remember that ? Or #BringBackOurGirls... How'd that work out?

Obama has more power to affect your life far more than all mass media combined.

Kony 2012. Remember that ? Or #BringBackOurGirls... How'd that work out?

That wasn't the question. You have changed the subject.

He's been spectacular. Proof is in the "facts"....stop bashing the great one.

Can we get some honesty for a change? It's like Clinton merged with GWB and someone forgot to clear the hard drive and out came Obama....the most pure form of politician we have had in decades. He tells you one thing (never from the heart...just the prompter) and does the next....or he does the next and tells you about it later......or he decides he's the only authority and therefore it's his decision to make and only his.....which makes him the typical politician.

Our country can't handle an honest man or woman. We have to have a bunch of liars or divisive speech makers...or both. When will we demand something better as our head of state? Never?

Nothing I said was delusional , homer. Cite where I was wrong, or kindly retract your comments.

Presumably, you are referring to post #80.

You are wrong. Your comments, which I highlighted in red font, are clearly delusional, at least to me. I suspect any reasonable person would see them similarly when taken in context.

If you want to review them them line by line, let's go.

He's been spectacular. Proof is in the "facts"....stop bashing the great one.

Can we get some honesty for a change? It's like Clinton merged with GWB and someone forgot to clear the hard drive and out came Obama....the most pure form of politician we have had in decades. He tells you one thing (never from the heart...just the prompter) and does the next....or he does the next and tells you about it later......or he decides he's the only authority and therefore it's his decision to make and only his.....which makes him the typical politician.

Our country can't handle an honest man or woman. We have to have a bunch of liars or divisive speech makers...or both. When will we demand something better as our head of state? Never?

Seriously? I think he's a terrible politician. Not even in the same class as Clinton, who is a true natural.

Obama-haters aside, I'm just throwing these facts out there (guess what, the economy continues to improve and in a big way)...

• 57 straight months (the longest streak on record) of private sector growth totaling 10.9 million jobs
  • More importantly, we're also now seeing wage gains across the board and annual GDP is on a 4% growth trajectory under Obama.
  • President Obama has achieved a 5.8% unemployment rate in his sixth year, fully one year faster than President Reagan did. At this point in his presidency, President Reagan was still struggling with 7.1% unemployment, and he did not reach into the mid-low 6% range for another full year.
  • Further, leading economist forecast unemployment will fall to around 5.4% by summer, 2015. A rate President Reagan was unable to achieve during his two terms.
  • Over the first 70 months of their presidencies ... a dollar invested in the stock market when Reagan assumed the presidency would have yielded a staggering 190% return. Pretty good. However, investors have gained a 220% over the last 6 years under Obama. The S&P has crested 2,000 and the DOW is poised to reach 20,000.
  • We've now had 66 straight months of economic expansion, and 28 consecutive months of manufacturing expansion.
  • Additionally, Obama has reduced federal employment, which grew under Reagan (especially when including military personnel,) and truly delivered a “smaller government.”

Now before you get all giddy on a response about the "labor participation rate" remember, the 'Boomers’ are retiring and as a result, yes, we are seeing the percentage of those seeking employment decline. I would argue, this has nothing to do with job availability (which is very strong), and everything to do with a highly predictable aging demographic.

Anyways, I found all this interesting. America is making real progress ... Forward!

All the numbers above are very impressive, so let’s look at how the rest of the economic numbers are responding.

Even the Labor Department can’t explain the latest job report

Many can’t get beyond part-time position: 7 million reluctantly relying on series of jobs

o The number of workers stringing together part-time jobs because they can’t find full-time employment remains at historically high levels more than five years after the recession ended, another sign that the economic recovery has yet to reach millions of people in New England and across the country.

The Black Unemployment Rate Rose in November Hope and Change?

Fewer Americans born in the U.S. have jobs now than were employed to November 2007, despite a working-age population growth of 11 million. In November 2014, one in every five U.S. jobs was held by a foreign-born worker, up from one-in-six jobs in January 2010, according to federal data highlighted by the Center for Immigration Studies. Are foreign workers taking the entry level jobs from African-Americans?

Thanksgiving Weekend Sales were down by 3%. If people are being employed in record numbers, why are sales down?

China overtakes U.S. as world's largest economy. If China wasn’t a head of us at the worst of the recession, why did their economy overtake us now that the US economy is booming?

1. More than half the November job gains were low paying jobs.

2. Household survey was flat. 150,000 decrease in full time jobs.

3. Job loser were in the 16-24 age group. Labor force participation rate for this group is going down. Labor force participation rate for older Americans is going up because they can’t afford to retire.

4. Add 300K jobs but unemployment stayed the same. Points to the unemployment rate as being a phony number.

3 bad economic numbers everyone ignored.

1. Trade deficit 43.4 billion, larger than forecasted.

2. Factory orders dropped .7 which is 3 consecutive months it had dropped.

3. October Consumer Credit was expected to expand by $16.8 billion, but to be dropped $13.2 billion. Prior month was also revised down. If Americans don’t have credit they won’t be buying much.

I'm old enough to remember democrats screaming that the president of the United States could do nothing about the economy, thus Reagan deserved no credit for turning the country around. Shouldn't the same apply to Obama? :)

You need to open your mind to alternative perspectives on Reagan's presidency. Sure, he made people feel good, but the facts don't really support the idea of him as a great POTUS, IMO. He wasn't a disaster (like W), but he wasn't great either.

Oh, Reagan's been the greatest president of my lifetime, hands down. Among other things he spent the Soviet Union into bankruptcy, which ended the cold war and 40 years of school kids learning to "duck and cover." Of course, by the time Obama gets through letting Putin kick his ass all over the place Reagan's great work may well have to be repeated by the next POTUS that has some courage.

I remember, at age 19, working 12 hour shifts on the flight line, hanging rockets on F-100 fighter-bombers thinking that those rockets were going to hit a Russian aircraft carrier on its way to Cuba. Standing there at midnight with a wrench in my hand and wondering how the fallout from a nuclear war would affect us at Tyndall AFB Florida or my family at home in Miami. Unless you lived through a similar experience, it's hard to explain what the collapse of the Soviet Union meant to Americans at the time. Aside from FDR, no American president of the 20th or 21st centuries accomplished as much as Ronald Reagan.

Presumably, you are referring to post #80.

You are wrong. Your comments, which I highlighted in red font, are clearly delusional, at least to me. I suspect any reasonable person would see them similarly when taken in context.

If you want to review them them line by line, let's go.

I asked you to cite where I was wrong. You did , but with out stating how or why you think they were wrong. Stating 'delusional' over and over again isn't saying how I was wrong.

Also, per the President and social media, I was pretty darn specific.

All the numbers above are very impressive, so let’s look at how the rest of the economic numbers are responding.

Many can’t get beyond part-time position: 7 million reluctantly relying on series of jobs

o The number of workers stringing together part-time jobs because they can’t find full-time employment remains at historically high levels more than five years after the recession ended, another sign that the economic recovery has yet to reach millions of people in New England and across the country.

Fewer Americans born in the U.S. have jobs now than were employed to November 2007, despite a working-age population growth of 11 million. In November 2014, one in every five U.S. jobs was held by a foreign-born worker, up from one-in-six jobs in January 2010, according to federal data highlighted by the Center for Immigration Studies. Are foreign workers taking the entry level jobs from African-Americans?

Thanksgiving Weekend Sales were down by 3%. If people are being employed in record numbers, why are sales down?

China overtakes U.S. as world's largest economy. If China wasn’t a head of us at the worst of the recession, why did their economy overtake us now that the US economy is booming?

3. Job loser were in the 16-24 age group. Labor force participation rate for this group is going down. Labor force participation rate for older Americans is going up because they can’t afford to retire.

4. Add 300K jobs but unemployment stayed the same. Points to the unemployment rate as being a phony number.

3. October Consumer Credit was expected to expand by $16.8 billion, but to be dropped $13.2 billion. Prior month was also revised down. If Americans don’t have credit they won’t be buying much.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-third-quarter-gdp-revised-up-to-5-0-growth-1419341481

http://www.wsj.com/a...owth-1419341481

Quarterly growth numbers are fine but several points need to be made. #1 quarterly growth numbers are often revised. #2 First quarter of this year we saw the economy shrink and this will create some pent up demand. #3 Obama has, indeed, created a lot of part time jobs...no doubt about that. Average HH income is not up..so what are we so excited about here? If jobs growth doesn't also deliver an increase in HH income why should that be considered a wonderful sign?

It is a great idea for a discussion of the two administrations. Amazing all the different variables both administrations faced, from economic turmoil, technology, foreign affairs, ect.

My tidbit would be to add the comparison of the actions made by the Federal Reserve. Interest rates the last 5-6 years and interest rates in Reagan's first 5-6 years. The different directions Paul Volcker and Ben Bernanke went.

Since I've been speaking today I have said I'm not speaking on Brown but that's all you guys want to speak on, my convo has been driven to garner and every other post YOU all bring up Brown.....interesting. And cops going through background checks when they are hired and their background checks as policemen are two different things. Cop is shot, it's tragic and not questioned, at one point of time nypd was the most corrupt police department in the country....

Well, unless you specify, and SAY Garner, and not Brown, then I'm gonna comment on Brown. Know why ? Because THAT case was first, and THAT case involved a cop actually SHOOTING " an unarmed black man ", where as Garner - brutally honest here - was on video resisting arrest and was a really fat, unhealthy man who got into a physical altercation that ended up doing him in. The cops didn't crush his wind pipe, or choke him to death. He was asthmatic, and over weight, and when he went down, in a scuffle, THAT is what killed him.

When a person is truly out of breath, they're not even going to be able to SPEAK and say " I can't breathe " . He likely was having a heart attack then and there, but tragically, the cops hear nothing but excuses when ever they come across someone like that , who doesn't want to play nicely, so they just tune out any cries of the suspect.

99/ 100 times, I bet the cops hear a lie, and eventually , there's one time when the person isn't lying, it ends up costing him his life.

Well that certainly proves Raptor is taking an objective look at this and not being an apologist for LEO overreaction. :-\

Good Grief. I have never seen such delusional comments. :no:

OK Rapter, you demanded I explain exactly why I thought your comments were delusional. Here tis:

You said:

The cops didn't crush his wind pipe, or choke him to death. He was asthmatic, and over weight, and when he went down, in a scuffle, THAT is what killed him.

No reasonable person, using even a modicum of common sense, would assert that Garner's cause of death was asthma and obesity. He was choked. Whatever other factors that affected the outcome, occurred as a direct result of that choking. He didn't just flop down and die of asthma.

This is is perverse and convoluted thinking at it's worst.

Then you said:

When a person is truly out of breath, they're not even going to be able to SPEAK and say " I can't breathe " . He likely was having a heart attack then and there,...

What BS. Have you ever had the breath knocked out of you, say from a blow to the solar plexus? It's quite possible to croak out "can't breath"

Then:

....but tragically, the cops hear nothing but excuses when ever they come across someone like that , who doesn't want to play nicely, so they just tune out any cries of the suspect.

Yeah, its so tragic. But what are you going to do other than just tune out? :dunno: Those poor cops just can't possibly make a judgement decision when it comes to using physical force. The community in which they work just makes it impossible! Better to just take 'em all down and let God sort 'em out.

This is insulting to anyone with a brain.

Finally:

99/ 100 times, I bet the cops hear a lie, and eventually , there's one time when the person isn't lying, it ends up costing him his life

Yeah. Just just learn to ignore all the citizens you are arresting and take your chances. A 1% failure would be great, well unless you are the mistake. If so, you're 100% dead.

Of course, 1% is a pretty optimistic estimate out of 100 (prohibited) choke holds distributed randomly among the population. Whatever - it's just the cost of law and order.

Upon further reflection, calling the above comments as "delusional" is putting it gently. That assumes a sort of blindness to reality. "Stupid" might be a more accurate characterization, depending on just how blind you really are.

I hope that answers your question. ;)

It's all a game. Please keep playing......it ends with a thud but the ride will be fun for some. ;)

It is a great idea for a discussion of the two administrations. Amazing all the different variables both administrations faced, from economic turmoil, technology, foreign affairs, ect.

My tidbit would be to add the comparison of the actions made by the Federal Reserve. Interest rates the last 5-6 years and interest rates in Reagan's first 5-6 years. The different directions Paul Volcker and Ben Bernanke went.

Interest rates were so different when both started that I don't know how much can be learned. I clearly remember signing a note at 18% interest to finance my farming operations in 1980. Rates were much lower than that by the time Reagan left office. OTOH, rates were at historic lows when Obama took office and have continued near zero so far. Extremely low interest may be good for borrowers but for people living off the interest from bonds and CD's it pretty much sucks.

Interest rates were so different when both started that I don't know how much can be learned. I clearly remember signing a note at 18% interest to finance my farming operations in 1980. Rates were much lower than that by the time Reagan left office. OTOH, rates were at historic lows when Obama took office and have continued near zero so far. Extremely low interest may be good for borrowers but for people living off the interest from bonds and CD's it pretty much sucks.

You're right. Just shows that diversification pays at any age. Only the ratios should change.

Hopefully one's stocks would compensate for those low returns to some degree.

Archived