2016 5* DT Derrick Brown (AU Signee 2/3/16)

RunInRed

Hopefully we can add a 3rd with McGriff

3rd? All three are #1 elite recruiters.

Given programs are on the same level, do you feel McGriff is a better DB recruiter than T-Rob?

I don't know enough about recruiting to factually say who is better....but the eyeball test says Trob because of the talent he brought to AU in only one season....

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirbs will struggle w/o the REC doing his dirty work. He will still have good classes, just like Richt.

We will still get ours, as long as we have Garner/Craig.

You can't let them go anywhere. Having 2 of the Top 5 recruiters, and them being Auburn Men, is something you can't, and won't replace.

Yes he is as well...but adding another Auburn coach to the top recruiters list would be impressive.

I want both top recruiters and good on the field coaches. I hope McGriff is a good on the field coach because we need it badly. We have had coaches that are good recruiters since 2009.

wde

He's got to be. The NFL doesn't give a care about how well you can recruit. They only care about coaching ability.

You are partially correct since they don't recruit they Draft they don't need to convince kid and family to come to their team. However a good recruiter should be a great judge of talent and be able to find the diamond in the rough. NFL coach looks at a lot of film of college kids to find the diamonds in the lower rounds. So in addition to coaching the players up once they have been drafted and make the team the ability to find some late round players is a key piece of the coaching skill set in the NFL.

Given programs are on the same level, do you feel McGriff is a better DB recruiter than T-Rob?

I wouldn't quantify it as better but he is damn good. Just go to his 247 profile page & look at his all time commitments. Keep in mind he was at Ole Miss only 1 year.

I wouldn't quantify it as better but he is damn good. Just go to his 247 profile page & look at his all time commitments. Keep in mind he was at Ole Miss only 1 year.

W O W !!!

Kirbs will struggle w/o the REC doing his dirty work. He will still have good classes, just like Richt.

We will still get ours, as long as we have Garner/Craig.

You can't let them go anywhere. Having 2 of the Top 5 recruiters, and them being Auburn Men, is something you can't, and won't replace.

Yes he is as well...but adding another Auburn coach to the top recruiters list would be impressive.

I want both top recruiters and good on the field coaches. I hope McGriff is a good on the field coach because we need it badly. We have had coaches that are good recruiters since 2009.

wde

He's got to be. The NFL doesn't give a care about how well you can recruit. They only care about coaching ability.

You are partially correct since they don't recruit they Draft they don't need to convince kid and family to come to their team. However a good recruiter should be a great judge of talent and be able to find the diamond in the rough. NFL coach looks at a lot of film of college kids to find the diamonds in the lower rounds. So in addition to coaching the players up once they have been drafted and make the team the ability to find some late round players is a key piece of the coaching skill set in the NFL.

Actually the GM does evaluating and finding players that have potential and that will fit their system. Coaches, especially position coaches, only coach. I think head coaches provide some input to the GM because they need to be on the same page, but otherwise any talent evaluation is above and beyond a position coach's responsibility.

And in college isn't the HC and recruiting coordinator the ones in charge of deciding which kids are worthy of a scholarship offer? I don't think the positional guys do any of that -- but I could be wrong here.

TRob is a good recruiter mainly in the state of FL, particularly South Florida. McGriff is more of a national recruiter, particularly in the Southeast. In the long run, based on McGriff's NFL experience, he will prove a more valuable asset than TRob. Plus he has more experience recruiting and has already made a name for himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! So contrary to what I was reading on other sites, GA was not really in it as much as was thought. War Eagle Mr. Brown!

I had a bama guy tell me Tuesday night before signing say they felt good about Brown. Surprised that he said bama was his 2nd choice and not UGA or TN.

Wow! So contrary to what I was reading on other sites, GA was not really in it as much as was thought. War Eagle Mr. Brown!

I had a bama guy tell me Tuesday night before signing say they felt good about Brown. Surprised that he said bama was his 2nd choice and not UGA or TN.

Tenessee was eliminated right after his OV there.

I'd say as good. Add in McGriff's NFL experience and BOOM.

^Plenty in Gus's tenure to question, but the dude brings in talented assistants.

I'm MEH on Kodi.

If bringing him on helps to keep outside influences out of the program, then I'm a huge fan of the move... if not, then I'm in wait and see mode.

^Plenty in Gus's tenure to question, but the dude brings in talented assistants.

I'm MEH on Kodi.

Of course, the jury is still out on Kodi. He could be great, could be not so great. Time will tell but right now there's no way to be but MEH. I'm expecting that he'll be a great one but that is yet to be seen.

I'm MEH on Kodi.

Of course, the jury is still out on Kodi. He could be great, could be not so great. Time will tell but right now there's no way to be but MEH. I'm expecting that he'll be a great one but that is yet to be seen.

You know, if he is a serviceable coach, then I think I am good with him. That is an Auburn Man to the bone and I think kids will see that love for the school and respond well.

What Kodi may lack in coaching experience he makes up for in leadership and a person of high character. I'm willing to give him a pass.

I watched the little coaching Clip with Kodi and receivers. In the little clip Kodi is definitely detail oriented.

• 2 months later...

His coach seems like a good dude.

Agreed...it ought to be required watching for everyone on this Forum ....listen to the coach from about 1:45 onward in particular.

The guy understands the difference between HS and college and that players and fans need to temper their expectations for highly rated recruits.

Now that Brown is on campus, perhaps this thread ought to be moved to the football forum. He is no longer a recruit.

Now that Brown is on campus, perhaps this thread ought to be moved to the football forum. He is no longer a recruit.

Recruit player threads don't usually get moved to the football forum when players enroll. I know I'm not going through & moving 20+ threads over.

Archived