AL Gov Bentley proposes $541M tax increase

RunInRed

The plan includes:

• Corporate Income Tax
    • Require combined income reporting for corporations that do business in other states.
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $20 million

• Financial Institution Excise Tax
    • Remove the credit that financial institutions receive for sales taxes paid
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $1 million

• Insurance Premium Tax
    • Remove the credit for state privilege tax paid by insurance companies
    • Remove the credit for ad valorem tax paid by insurance companies
    • Remove the office facilities and real property investment credits made by insurance companies
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $25 million

• Public Utilities License Tax
    • Remove exemption that applies to municipal utilities
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $47 million

• Individual Income Tax
    • Eliminate income tax withholding exemption certificates
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $12 million

• Sales Tax for Automobiles
    • Increase the rate for automobile sales to 4 percent
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $200 million

• Rental Tax for Automobiles
    • Increase the automobile rental tax to 4 percent
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $31 million

• Cigarette and Tobacco Tax
    • Increase the tax to $1.25 per pack (increase of $0.825 per pack)
    • Increase tax on other tobacco products proportionately
    • Keep wholesalers' discount the same as current
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $205 million

http://www.bizjourna...at-closing.html

Oh you're just tickled pink I can tell. Libs love tax increases. It may be necessary sometimes but that is always the solution to any problem for you. Never cut taxes never cut spending.

Never have anything substantive to add. Same old whine.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/02/sen_bill_holtzclaw_calls_press.html

Mr Holtzclaw just screwed us. I have supported this guy too. I met him a couple years ago.

The director of transportation is the offender. He and Bentley just pulled a George Wallace move.

When I moved to Jefferson county in 1981 none of the interstates inside the county connected to interstates outside the county. In fact I59 was finished all the way from Jefferson county to the Georgia line and had almost no traffic on it. The reason the interstates were not connected in Jefferson country was the county was never carried by George Wallace in a governors race. The joke told about the highway crews was, "boys leave your shovels just where your at and come back to the work center, George Wallace just got elected again". Wallace was elected again as governor in 1982, but carried Jefferson country for the first time. They finished the interstates.

If the voters of Alabama were given the opportunity to legalize a lottery, it's in my opinion that a lottery would pass. Every state that surrounds Alabama has a lottery. A lot of revenue that the state could use. How many of you know someone who lives in Alabama, but will buy lottery tickets in another close by state?

Alabama has gaming in Wetumpka and Montgomery.

Next door in Biloxi, Mississippi, the state has gambing. How many of you know someone that lives in Alabama, but travels to Mississippi to participate in gambling? Again, more revenue the state is losing out on.

The state of Alabama used a lot of resources to keep Victoryland shut down. Lots of people lost their jobs. The state again is losing out on a lot of potential revenue.

Alabama is missing out on a lot of alcohol revenue too.

Instead the gov. wants to go the tax route.

If the voters of Alabama were given the opportunity to legalize a lottery, it's in my opinion that a lottery would pass. Every state that surrounds Alabama has a lottery. A lot of revenue that the state could use. How many of you know someone who lives in Alabama, but will buy lottery tickets in another close by state?

Next door in Biloxi, Mississippi, the state has gambing. How many of you know someone that lives in Alabama, but travels to Mississippi to participate in gambling? Again, more revenue the state is losing out on.

The state of Alabama used a lot of resources to keep Victoryland shut down. Lots of people lost their jobs. The state again is losing out on a lot of potential revenue.

it failed back in the late 90s

Yep!

I actually find it more comical than anything ...

10565224_791417497555774_2629846377282717079_n.jpg

GHW Bush should have waited until he was reelected. Lol

I think it would pass this time. Plus, anyone who is currently 18-33 was not old enough to vote.

I think it would pass this time. Plus, anyone who is currently 18-33 was not old enough to vote.

i agree

i agree

Just wait til the Baptists catch wind. It failed by a pretty thin margin in '99, 53-47 I believe. Its possible, but the margin will probably be just as thin.

• 4 weeks later...

What happens when Republican rhetoric meets having to actually govern ...

Gov. Bentley: 'Somebody has got to pay taxes'

"What I want yall to do for me is to look at the fairness of these (tax increases), because they are fair. To look at whether you want to live on food stamps and minimum wage in this state for the rest of your life. Or whether or not you want to really improve education in the state of Alabama or you want to solve the problems we have in this state or if you want to pay back the debts we have in this state. There is nothing more conservative than paying your debts and getting your fiscal house in order. We have to do the right thing."

If we want something in this state, we are going to have to pay for it. If you are honest with the people - and I'm not trying to call it something other than taxes - it is taxes. Somebody has got to pay taxes. I'm not trying to sugar coat it. ...

"You know, it's easy to run. ... But it's not easy to govern. It's easy to say you are going to do something. But when you get in there and see what the problems really are, when it's all on your shoulders, when you have to make tough decisions, and you have to be tough, then you have to say I am going to make the right decision whether I get re-elected or not."

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/03/gov_bentley_somebody_has_got_t.html

"What I want yall to do for me is to look at the fairness of these (tax increases), because they are fair. To look at whether you want to live on food stamps and minimum wage in this state for the rest of your life. Or whether or not you want to really improve education in the state of Alabama or you want to solve the problems we have in this state or if you want to pay back the debts we have in this state. There is nothing more conservative than paying your debts and getting your fiscal house in order. We have to do the right thing."

If we want something in this state, we are going to have to pay for it. If you are honest with the people - and I'm not trying to call it something other than taxes - it is taxes. Somebody has got to pay taxes. I'm not trying to sugar coat it. ...

"You know, it's easy to run. ... But it's not easy to govern. It's easy to say you are going to do something. But when you get in there and see what the problems really are, when it's all on your shoulders, when you have to make tough decisions, and you have to be tough, then you have to say I am going to make the right decision whether I get re-elected or not."

http://www.al.com/op..._has_got_t.html

Those words would've held a bit more water if he uttered them before November of last year.

http://www.al.com/op..._has_got_t.html

Those words would've held a bit more water if he uttered them before November of last year.

I think they are actually golden now. republicans i know think that nobody should ever be taxed on any level that those funds should just appear magically. a little reality check for them.

The plan includes:

• Corporate Income Tax
    • Require combined income reporting for corporations that do business in other states.
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $20 million

• Financial Institution Excise Tax
    • Remove the credit that financial institutions receive for sales taxes paid
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $1 million

• Insurance Premium Tax
    • Remove the credit for state privilege tax paid by insurance companies
    • Remove the credit for ad valorem tax paid by insurance companies
    • Remove the office facilities and real property investment credits made by insurance companies
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $25 million

• Public Utilities License Tax
    • Remove exemption that applies to municipal utilities
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $47 million

• Individual Income Tax
    • Eliminate income tax withholding exemption certificates
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $12 million

• Sales Tax for Automobiles
    • Increase the rate for automobile sales to 4 percent
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $200 million

• Rental Tax for Automobiles
    • Increase the automobile rental tax to 4 percent
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $31 million

• Cigarette and Tobacco Tax
    • Increase the tax to $1.25 per pack (increase of $0.825 per pack)
    • Increase tax on other tobacco products proportionately
    • Keep wholesalers' discount the same as current
    • Estimated increase in revenue – $205 million

http://www.bizjourna...at-closing.html

If Bentley was a King like Obama, uhhh, my bad, willing to go to any length to end run Congress he might just use his pen and phone to ram that s*** down the citizens throats. However, I doubt much of it will be able to stand on its on and actually get passed.

Citizens in this state pay little in income taxes but pays out a lot in fees and associated taxes (like the stupid grocery tax). I'd rather it come in this form than the BS tax like the grocery tax.

If Bentley was a King like Obama, uhhh, my bad, willing to go to any length to end run Congress he might just use his pen and phone to ram that s*** down the citizens throats. However, I doubt much of it will be able to stand on its on and actually get passed.

What tax did President Obama circumvent Congress on again? I'll hang up and listen ...

Archived