2015 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

Matthews received plenty of playing time at uga and had a redshirt year to watch, I wouldn't give him the experience excuse

agree. still cautiously optimistic about his immediate potential because i though moncreif would have been a lot better last year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy Johnson (6'5, 240) speaking with the media. His goals? Win the QB job, build chemistry, become the leader.

Johnson: my goal is to win the national championship

Johnson calls the last two years a “humbling” experience playing behind Nick Marshall

@JHokanson

Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson is physically similar to Cardale Jones. Huge.

@DanWolken

Jeremy Johnson says he's gained ~10 pounds and is up to 240

@JamesCrepea

"God has a plan for everyone and my plan was to sit out. Now is my time to win the starting job,"

@TheAUPlainsman

Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson says "the offense is going to be just fine."

Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson says he brought a lot of energy to Auburn's first spring practice "so my teammates could follow me."

@TheAUGoldMine

Jeremy Johnson: Jason Smith is one of Auburn's most athletic players. Smith both threw and caught passes during offseason.

@jzenor

Johnson said he's comfortable as a power runner, but is confident in his ability to run read option

@AUBlog

B_xkxDKWAAAyRtc.jpg

via @GregO_ESPN

He said he is going to be running the power read... downhill running. 6-5, 240... This will be a 2010 year if they hit on all cylinders.

He said he is going to be running the power read... downhill running. 6-5, 240... This will be a 2010 year if they hit on all cylinders.

Yup. Inside power. Inverted veer. Malzahn adjusts to what his QB is best at doing. We didn't see a lot of zone read with Cam/Dyer, and we didn't see hardly any zone read or any insider power/veer stuff with with the not so fleet of foot Chris Todd. (I actually liked the version of "the Malzahn offense"** that AU ran with Chris Todd.)

**Put "the Malzahn offense" in scare quotes because of the way so many people try to define what it is based on whatever it is they have seen from it lately. Malzahn's "offense" is built on a philosophy of football and certain principles, but it's not a thing that can be pigeonholed. At Tulsa (and in some seasons in high school), "the Malzahn offense" lit it up through the air...and then pounded 'em on the ground. At Arky (both of 'em) and AU, he's been run first, pounding with power inside and out to go along with all that misdirection and deception, and then looking for big plays out of the passing game with a lot of deep shots down field. I don't think any of us have come close to seeing all the variations of "the Malzahn offense." The one thing all the variations seem to have in common is that they work...very well.

Yup. Inside power. Inverted veer. Malzahn adjusts to what his QB is best at doing. We didn't see a lot of zone read with Cam/Dyer, and we didn't see hardly any zone read or any insider power/veer stuff with with the not so fleet of foot Chris Todd. (I actually liked the version of "the Malzahn offense"** that AU ran with Chris Todd.)

**Put "the Malzahn offense" in scare quotes because of the way so many people try to define what it is based on whatever it is they have seen from it lately. Malzahn's "offense" is built on a philosophy of football and certain principles, but it's not a thing that can be pigeonholed. At Tulsa (and in some seasons in high school), "the Malzahn offense" lit it up through the air...and then pounded 'em on the ground. At Arky (both of 'em) and AU, he's been run first, pounding with power inside and out to go along with all that misdirection and deception, and then looking for big plays out of the passing game with a lot of deep shots down field. I don't think any of us have come close to seeing all the variations of "the Malzahn offense." The one thing all the variations seem to have in common is that they work...very well.

I also think that now we'll see the speed sweep implemented more like in 2010. We lulled defenses to sleep with cam and dyer to the inside and then boom, give it to Omac on the sweep. i think that's harder to implement when u have a qb like NM that regularly attacks the outside

I also think that now we'll see the speed sweep implemented more like in 2010. We lulled defenses to sleep with cam and dyer to the inside and then boom, give it to Omac on the sweep. i think that's harder to implement when u have a qb like NM that regularly attacks the outside

Agreed. Seemed like defenses were trying to limit NM on the outside on the zone reads (even though its debatable any actual read was being made by NM) which ultimately hurt Corey Grant's role and production. Especially when the interior line struggled early last season it made our offense look like it was stuck in the mud at time and consistently forcing 2nd and 8 or 9.

Agree. The "Malzahn Offense" is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. It can take on many forms.

Agreed. Seemed like defenses were trying to limit NM on the outside on the zone reads (even though its debatable any actual read was being made by NM) which ultimately hurt Corey Grant's role and production. Especially when the interior line struggled early last season it made our offense look like it was stuck in the mud at time and consistently forcing 2nd and 8 or 9.

I love Corey Grant, but his inability to cut and his desire to always run to the sideline hurt his production. I watched Cole Cubelics video play breakdown after the KState game and he showed a play that Corey would have gained at least another 5 yards if he would have turned it upfield, but he ran to the sideline for maybe a yard gain. He is/was Onterio McCalebb 2.0.

saminbama, just for the sake of completeness, Tuberville is #16 and Jason Smith is #4. Those are all the QBs.

we used the speed sweep or faked it mjch more in 09 than 10.

I love Corey Grant, but his inability to cut and his desire to always run to the sideline hurt his production. I watched Cole Cubelics video play breakdown after the KState game and he showed a play that Corey would have gained at least another 5 yards if he would have turned it upfield, but he ran to the sideline for maybe a yard gain. He is/was Onterio McCalebb 2.0.

What I saw was Corey would slow down to determine if he should make his cut, and that gave time for the pursuit to catch up. I think he was hoping the defense would over-pursue him, but with his speed, that was rarely the case. If Corey just ran to the edge and cut, he might have made more positive yards. If he had stayed at full speed while looking for his crease, he might have made more positive yards. If he had just cut (without slowing down to evaluate the pursuit), and relied on his speed, he might have made more positive yards.

Pure speculation from me but it seemed that Corey was always running thinking about securing the ball as opposed to running. Also he was never able to get alot of carries and get comfortable. If you remember CAP didn't really look impressive (at least to me) until two or three games into the season

Pure speculation from me but it seemed that Corey was always running thinking about securing the ball as opposed to running. Also he was never able to get a lot of carries and get comfortable. If you remember CAP didn't really look impressive (at least to me) until two or three games into the season

Well he had 66 carries in 2013 and 60 in 2014. Remember we played one extra game in 2013...

What I saw was Corey would slow down to determine if he should make his cut, and that gave time for the pursuit to catch up. I think he was hoping the defense would over-pursue him, but with his speed, that was rarely the case. If Corey just ran to the edge and cut, he might have made more positive yards. If he had stayed at full speed while looking for his crease, he might have made more positive yards. If he had just cut (without slowing down to evaluate the pursuit), and relied on his speed, he might have made more positive yards.

I agree. Corey was too fast for his own good. He was so fast that it made it almost impossible for him to cut. He has no cut ability at all. Thats why, other than KR, I dont see him playing RB, unless he is taught how to control it. If you remember Bo taught Omac to stick his foot in the ground and make a cut ie... The LSU run..... There is a difference between quick (Nick Marshall) and fast (Corey Grant)..... I wish corey the best and appreciate all he did for AU

Pure speculation from me but it seemed that Corey was always running thinking about securing the ball as opposed to running. Also he was never able to get a lot of carries and get comfortable. If you remember CAP didn't really look impressive (at least to me) until two or three games into the season

Well he had 66 carries in 2013 and 60 in 2014. Remember we played one extra game in 2013...

I was meaning getting two, the handoffs in a row. Even if he's hit and loses yards he knows he's getting the ball again

Pure speculation from me but it seemed that Corey was always running thinking about securing the ball as opposed to running. Also he was never able to get alot of carries and get comfortable. If you remember CAP didn't really look impressive (at least to me) until two or three games into the season

CAP never impressed me much as Tre is what i was gauging him on. That is strictly to the eye, because CAP was about as consistent and productive as i could ask. he had like 176 or so yards in the first game. A lot of us wanted more Roc T because he passed the eye test. But stat wise CAP was solid.

Archived