Fraternal Order of Police President: Anti-Police Protests Discouraging Applicants

JoeBags7277

I was a police officer from 1997-2002, got out after first child was born and having been shot in the line of duty 2 years prior and still dealing with PTSD. Been in public safety ever since, either emergency mgmt and campus security (as close to being LE as possible w/o being). I've been debating for the past couple of years about getting back into it. It is a lot different now than when I was in it before.

Most of you, have NO IDEA how difficult of a job it is, you arm chair QB question an officers actions/reactions before knowing the FULL story. Many of you assume that every LEO is the same as another, most you (you know who you are) think all LEO are crooked/racists bastards. You either don't or won't take the time to really see and know what an officer does, deals with, etc. An officer is not just an officer enforcing law, they wear many hats, social worker, fire fighter, EMT, counselor, babysitter (executive protection details), etc. Things can go from zero to 110 mph at the blink of an eye. I wish I could find the video I saw on policeone.com of 3 officers getting a guy out of a car, directing him to the back of his car, within a split second this guy reaches in his pocket and pulls out a gun firing at least one shot at one of the officers, I don't know if he was hit or not. What many of you MUST realize is that a large percentage of the time, officers do NOT know who they are contacting or if that person is armed or out to hurt them for whatever reason!! Of course, some of you might not even care. I challenge you to watch and read the article that someone posted a few weeks ago about the black leaders who participated in LEO training scenarios. I challenge to go do a ride along.

In my heart, I want to be out there with my brothers in blue, more so to help them and help protect them, to catch bad guys, but people have made that job extremely difficult, b/c they expect LEOs to be perfect, all the time. Mistakes are going to happen, b/c police are human. I think a vast majority of the time LEOs get it right, b/c many live and breath their jobs, so they might train on their own time, not getting paid to do it, but b/c they want to make sure they go home to their family, which fortunately for me, was the case for me, I trained a LOT, I did everything right the night I was shot, and had God watching after me, but many aren't that fortunate. This is an extremely stressful, emotionally taxing, physically draining job. You don't know stress and all until you've dealt with or been on case where a child has been a victim. So, as much as my heart longs to be back out there, my logical side says why put your family through that emotional trauma, wondering everytime you go to work if you will come home at the end of watch. I can completely understand that it is affecting retention rates and new employees to LE as many might question getting into it b/c of the added stress of really having to watch your back, not just from the criminal element, but also from those in society who just hate police. My thing is, I wonder who those people will call when someone is breaking into their house and threatening their family?? Those responding officers better drive the speed limit to get there to help them, you know police can't speed to calls.

Yeah, about that...

http://thefreethough...lice-propaganda

For all that talk about "making it home", it has NEVER been safer to be a police officer in this country. Line of duty deaths are at their lowest levels since the 19th century, despite a slight uptick last year. Statistically, commercial fishermen, garbagemen, and truck drivers all have a more dangerous job, and they're not allowed to put those around them in more danger in order to mitigate that danger. In a few years barring tragedy, my home county will celebrate 100 years since an officer was murdered in the line of duty. It can be a dangerous job, and there are crazy people out there, but overstating the threat teaches officers to approach every scenario as if it could be their last, which only makes life worse for everyone.

I don't call them, and likely never will, unless not doing so opens me up to criminal liability- for example, if I've shot and killed a burglar. That being said, I cannot choose to not pay for their "services", and am prohibited from seeking out other more efficient services, so why should I not be alllowed to call them?

Wow the irony.

Weagle1787.....I'm supposed to be the only one who starts racial related threads here. :drippingsarcasm7pa:/>

L O L !!! Sad thing is those poor souls are the FiRST to call 911 for help when things go bad. And the cops always answer the call to protect and serve....Always.......

Oh.... always?...Always?

Victims of ‘non-threatening’ crimes such as burglaries, thefts, and simple assault in Chicago will no longer be visited by officers when they call 911.
He said that as it stands, Chicago officers respond to around 70 percent of 911 calls, as opposed to around 30 percent for other cities.

http://nation.foxnews.com/chicago/2013/02/05/chicago-wont-respond-911-calls

Paperwork is beneath the CPD if you aren't in a body bag and it doesn't generate revenue or positive press.

I was a police officer from 1997-2002, got out after first child was born and having been shot in the line of duty 2 years prior and still dealing with PTSD. Been in public safety ever since, either emergency mgmt and campus security (as close to being LE as possible w/o being). I've been debating for the past couple of years about getting back into it. It is a lot different now than when I was in it before.

Most of you, have NO IDEA how difficult of a job it is, you arm chair QB question an officers actions/reactions before knowing the FULL story. Many of you assume that every LEO is the same as another, most you (you know who you are) think all LEO are crooked/racists bastards. You either don't or won't take the time to really see and know what an officer does, deals with, etc. An officer is not just an officer enforcing law, they wear many hats, social worker, fire fighter, EMT, counselor, babysitter (executive protection details), etc. Things can go from zero to 110 mph at the blink of an eye. I wish I could find the video I saw on policeone.com of 3 officers getting a guy out of a car, directing him to the back of his car, within a split second this guy reaches in his pocket and pulls out a gun firing at least one shot at one of the officers, I don't know if he was hit or not. What many of you MUST realize is that a large percentage of the time, officers do NOT know who they are contacting or if that person is armed or out to hurt them for whatever reason!! Of course, some of you might not even care. I challenge you to watch and read the article that someone posted a few weeks ago about the black leaders who participated in LEO training scenarios. I challenge to go do a ride along.

In my heart, I want to be out there with my brothers in blue, more so to help them and help protect them, to catch bad guys, but people have made that job extremely difficult, b/c they expect LEOs to be perfect, all the time. Mistakes are going to happen, b/c police are human. I think a vast majority of the time LEOs get it right, b/c many live and breath their jobs, so they might train on their own time, not getting paid to do it, but b/c they want to make sure they go home to their family, which fortunately for me, was the case for me, I trained a LOT, I did everything right the night I was shot, and had God watching after me, but many aren't that fortunate. This is an extremely stressful, emotionally taxing, physically draining job. You don't know stress and all until you've dealt with or been on case where a child has been a victim. So, as much as my heart longs to be back out there, my logical side says why put your family through that emotional trauma, wondering everytime you go to work if you will come home at the end of watch. I can completely understand that it is affecting retention rates and new employees to LE as many might question getting into it b/c of the added stress of really having to watch your back, not just from the criminal element, but also from those in society who just hate police. My thing is, I wonder who those people will call when someone is breaking into their house and threatening their family?? Those responding officers better drive the speed limit to get there to help them, you know police can't speed to calls.

Yeah, about that...

For all that talk about "making it home", it has NEVER been safer to be a police officer in this country. Line of duty deaths are at their lowest levels since the 19th century, despite a slight uptick last year. Statistically, commercial fishermen, garbagemen, and truck drivers all have a more dangerous job, and they're not allowed to put those around them in more danger in order to mitigate that danger. In a few years barring tragedy, my home county will celebrate 100 years since an officer was murdered in the line of duty. It can be a dangerous job, and there are crazy people out there, but overstating the threat teaches officers to approach every scenario as if it could be their last, which only makes life worse for everyone.

I don't call them, and likely never will, unless not doing so opens me up to criminal liability- for example, if I've shot and killed a burglar. That being said, I cannot choose to not pay for their "services", and am prohibited from seeking out other more efficient services, so why should I not be alllowed to call them?

55853223.jpg

;)

Weagle1787.....I'm supposed to be the only one who starts racial related threads here. :drippingsarcasm7pa:/>

L O L !!! Sad thing is those poor souls are the FiRST to call 911 for help when things go bad. And the cops always answer the call to protect and serve....Always.......

Oh.... always?...Always?

Victims of ‘non-threatening’ crimes such as burglaries, thefts, and simple assault in Chicago will no longer be visited by officers when they call 911.
He said that as it stands, Chicago officers respond to around 70 percent of 911 calls, as opposed to around 30 percent for other cities.

http://nation.foxnews.com/chicago/2013/02/05/chicago-wont-respond-911-calls

Paperwork is beneath the CPD if you aren't in a body bag and it doesn't generate revenue or positive press.

That's Barry's Chicago!!!

Oh.... always?...Always?

http://nation.foxnew...spond-911-calls

My first impression would be that the Chicago authorities, following long standing tradition in that city, have underfunded the police in order to put extra funds into the pockets of politicians, ward organizers and other favored parties.

Yeah, about that...

You are delusional or just so left wing your blind. I don't give a crap if you call them or not, they will respond to help no matter your screwed up views. Are you NOT going to call the fire department if your house is on fire? Well, your tax money goes to cover that TOO! If you have kids, do they go to public school? Taxes pay for that too. The percentage of money pulled in by police is small, it might be more for smaller towns, who have a smaller tax base, i.e. from tag tax, property tax (the bulk majority of where public funding comes from).

Sure those in those jobs are allowed to put others in danger, I bet a large percentage of those killed were b/c of their own error or someone else's, just like the 748 truck drivers who died in 2013. I'm sure the majority of those were due to someone screwing up on the roadway, not paying attention, texting, tailgating, speeding. Oh, 112 LEOs were killed/died in the line of duty in 2013.

Put some perspective on your crowing about LEO killing too many, in 2013 there were 461 deaths "by police", in 2013, police arrested 12.2 million people, which means that 99.9962% of the time, police were able to take people into custody without a death. It's NOT nearly as often as so many want to try to make it out to be. Just left wing media spin to promote anti-police agenda for whatever reason. I'm sure those in uniform will be fine not responding to your house, for police, fire, or emergency medical service since you are so adamantly against taxes..don't call...

Oh.... always?...Always?

My first impression would be that the Chicago authorities, following long standing tradition in that city, have underfunded the police in order to put extra funds into the pockets of politicians, ward organizers and other favored parties.

The thing I've seen since being in Nashville is that almost every police department is underfunded and the call volume is as high as ever. The non-threatening calls for service, i.e. delayed theft report, delayed burglary report, etc.are often times being done over the phone, b/c many of the departments DON'T have enough officers or if they do send an Officer it might be longer for them to get there b/c the higher priority calls are going to take precedence over the non-emergency calls. Police get a TON of stupid calls that have to weeded through and out. Part of that is also the pay, and like the topic of thread, likely decrease in applicants to join. The highest paying LEO job in Middle TN is the city of Smyrna, where Officers start at $42k/yr while in training. Metro Nashville is around $36k/yr (wiht no college degree, 6% bump with degree). Other cities are less than that. That is why so many Officers have to work OT to make better money which means more time away from family and more stress. It's not easy rotating shifts, going from working first shift for a few months, then you switch to working nights and having to adjust your body to staying up all night, either.

I don't give a crap if you call them or not, they will respond to help no matter your screwed up views. If you have kids, do they go to public school? Taxes pay for that too.

Sure those in those jobs are allowed to put others in danger, I bet a large percentage of those killed were b/c of their own error or someone else's, just like the 748 truck drivers who died in 2013. I'm sure the majority of those were due to someone screwing up on the roadway, not paying attention, texting, tailgating, speeding.

Yeah, not so much.

I do not. My wife and I are trying, and having a difficult time. But when we are successful, no they will not attend public school. I will do whatever I can to prevent them from being indoctrinated to not appreciate their Natural Rights as free human beings, and to ensure that they never lose sight of right and wrong, in spite of the evil that surrounds them. That means the state won't have their young, impressionable minds for a single day. But I'll still pay for government schools, so YAY!!!

Finish my thought. Were they given legal impunity to place the lives of those around them more danger to lessen that danger? No. Those who survived accidents in which they were at fault paid some sort of price for doing so, criminal, civil, or otherwise. They also don't have the boobouisie waiting to congratulate them on making it home before knowing all the facts.

Oh.... always?...Always?

Victims of 'non-threatening' crimes such as burglaries, thefts, and simple assault in Chicago will no longer be visited by officers when they call 911.

You forgot about the other cities they have compared their statistics with. I know years and years ago Dallas did away with responding to traffic accidents that didn't involve injury. Also response depends on neighborhood too, sister worked with the DPD. It isn't just a Chicago thing.

Oh.... always?...Always?

Victims of 'non-threatening' crimes such as burglaries, thefts, and simple assault in Chicago will no longer be visited by officers when they call 911.

You forgot about the other cities they have compared their statistics with. I know years and years ago Dallas did away with responding to traffic accidents that didn't involve injury. Also response depends on neighborhood too, sister worked with the DPD. It isn't just a Chicago thing.

so there is no accident report? how does that work?

Oh.... always?...Always?

so there is no accident report? how does that work?

The people are encouraged to take care of it on their own and gather information on their own. Use your cell phone to take pictures, insurance companies are producing apps to help, hope someone is cool enough to give a statement as a witness, if the other guy is under the influence but didn't do enough damage (ie. flipped the car) or cause injury then lucky for them... they just got their free pass.

Lot of cities have gone to this, story on Las Vegas pulled up first:

http://www.cnn.com/2...lice/index.html

Archived