Bama Safety Geno Smith arrested for DUI last night

AUEngineer2016

I'm sorry but the NCAA needs to step in on this one. You have players that get half season suspensions for selling pictures (which endangers no one) yet this idiot is still playing after endangering everyone that was driving a road, walking a road, or living close to a road. Shut him down. And if the school complains or tries to stop them that school will have a public perception equivalent to that of SMU. Players want to get paid like it is a job so treat him like my job would if I got 2 DUI. Fire his butt and make sure anybody calling for a reference knows why he got fired.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but the NCAA needs to step in on this one. You have players that get half season suspensions for selling pictures (which endangers no one) yet this idiot is still playing after endangering everyone that was driving a road, walking a road, or living close to a road. Shut him down. And if the school complains or tries to stop them that school will have a public perception equivalent to that of SMU. Players want to get paid like it is a job so treat him like my job would if I got 2 DUI. Fire his butt and make sure anybody calling for a reference knows why he got fired.

I agree. I would love to see the SEC initiate a mandated suspension scale based on the severity of the offense. And suspend the offending players beginning with conference games rather than the early-season cupcakes.

DUI is not an NCAA issue (I don't think)

The sec can self impose sanctions, but that is a slippery slope. Quite frankly it is the responsibility of the court jurisdiction where the DUI took place.

Really ... The responsibility is on geno smith

The sec can self impose sanctions, but that is a slippery slope. Quite frankly it is the responsibility of the court jurisdiction where the DUI took place.

When He, his coach nor his AD take responsibility for it, (which they won't/haven't) who will?

Why would the NCAA do something? If john doe student gets 2 DUIs they don't kick him out of school. The NCAA doesn't step in and say 'Hey that kids is getting to wild. You need to suspend him.' The NCAA already over reaches their bounds on too many other things. They should keep their nose out of this. Now I do firmly believe that CNS should step up and take some action to show kids this is not allowed. I think the courts should step up and do something. First time is stupidity, Second time is a pattern. Heaven forbid that anyone gets hurt on #3.

Let him stay! The more problematic kids they have there the happier I am. It will start to eat the program from the inside eventually. In the meanwhile I am just :laugh:

Let him stay! The more problematic kids they have there the happier I am. It will start to eat the program from the inside eventually. In the meanwhile I am just :laugh:

They've had problematic kids down there for ages.....and they managed to keep it mostly hidden. But with social media and cell phone cameras everywhere and kids who live online things have opened up and they have taken a new strategy. They pretend to punish but nothing too uncomfortable for the players they really need. The ones they don't need are processed.

i would agree. Except Penn St.

i would agree. Except Penn St.

Bama problems are pretty much limited to "out of control" players.....but Penn State was about the bosses and the crimes/violations they committed. During all of the investigations on the PSU stuff, there was nothing that showed that any player benefited or committed any violation of any kind.

UNC-Chapel Hill will be interesting because players/teams benefited...but the bigger crimes/violations involved all of the cover-ups by the admin.

Seems that NCAA could use the same justification as for PSU in slamming UNC....but will it?

As for bama....hope NCAA does not get involved in DUI penalties, stuff like that...for them...or for anyone else.

• 1 month later...

Yeah though it seems quite harsh on him but I think it’s better for society at large. I had worked with a Los Angeles DUI attorney couple of years ago and saw so many lives getting lost due to few people decided to do drunk driving.

I remember years ago Oklahoma had one football player shoot another. when the NCAA was asked if they were going to take any action, a representative with the ncaa said they would be taking no action because the Sooners had not broken any ncaa rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember years ago Oklahoma had one football player shoot another. when the NCAA was asked if they were going to take any action, a representative with the ncaa said they would be taking no action because the Sooners had not broken any ncaa rules.

Well the NCAA used to confine itself to things that were actual rules violations. Now because of social media and everything else that goes on in society they feel compelled to step in whenever a coach or athlete does anything regardless of if it violates NCAA rules or not.

Well the NCAA used to confine itself to things that were actual rules violations. Now because of social media and everything else that goes on in society they feel compelled to step in whenever a coach or athlete does anything regardless of if it violates NCAA rules or not. they choose to.

There fixed it for ya. WAAAAAYYYYYY too many kids flashing cash and talking about getting paid on social media and nothing from the NCAA.

Archived