2016 4* Buck DE/LB Antonneous Clayton (Florida commit)

RunInRed

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But has anyone here seen Clayton play? I have... Not sure he's all that. Smallest classification in Ga...and he's no Montravious Adams.

Hey, hey -- no picking on Clayton!

Oh, you mean Antonneous. Carry on.

But has anyone here seen Clayton play? I have... Not sure he's all that. Smallest classification in Ga...and he's no Montravious Adams.

Hey, hey -- no picking on Clayton!

LOL!

Just keeps getting better I see

Looks like AU took Clayton as a lock and UF went all in. All on AU. Au has ramped up his recruitment but may be a little too late.

Wonderful. Keep earning that paycheck Gus....Somehow.

Looks like AU took Clayton as a lock and UF went all in. All on AU. Au has ramped up his recruitment but may be a little too late.

Schools have been negative recruiting AU for the last year after AU's fall last mid season. And the problem is AU has done just what the others schools have told these recruits would happen. Fall on their face. AU has NO recruiting momentum right now. NONE.

Schools have been negative recruiting AU for the last year after AU's fall last mid season. And the problem is AU has done just what the others schools have told these recruits would happen. Fall on their face. AU has NO recruiting momentum right now. NONE.

Hopefully we at least keep who we have, but it won't matter if we don't have the staff in place to coach them up. I know this isn't the thread for it, but would moving DC around help, iyo? If you think this will lead to a thread hijacking, you can just say "Not the thread for it".

I was afraid of this

Typical AU recruiting...

The negativity of this board is amazing over last 4-5 years we have had great recruiting classes. It is like everybody forgets then a comment like Typical AU recruiting. If by typical you mean in last few weeks we will pick up a few really good players late and have another really good class then you are right. The only exception on Auburn recruiting in last 5 years or so is at LB which Mikey has kept us well informed about. Mikey is right about LB.

The negativity of this board is amazing over last 4-5 years we have had great recruiting classes. It is like everybody forgets then a comment like Typical AU recruiting. If by typical you mean in last few weeks we will pick up a few really good players late and have another really good class then you are right. The only exception on Auburn recruiting in last 5 years or so is at LB which Mikey has kept us well informed about. Mikey is right about LB.

"The only exception.... " Are you serious?

I think we are only a few changes away -- next year. I don't mean coaching changes either (minus RL). Remember how pathetic we looked in 2012? Nobody in their right mind would've said that that group of players with a cornerback manning the QB spot would have even come close to winning the SEC Championship the following year

Ughhhhhhh.

:brickwall:

Last year's class was saved by Will & T-Rob. Before they got here the 2015 class was on life support. Also should say something about Gus not being able to develop talent also.

I noticed that. I started to really did into it but the results were good, all was optimistic for this year so I didn't want to be negative

"The only exception.... " Are you serious?

I am dead Serious over last 5 years our worst Recruiting class is 13th and we have averaged out as 7th best recruiting team over last 5 years. Somebody said T-Rob and Muschamp saved us last year. That doesn't change the fact that we had a great recruiting class last year that was still Auburn recruiting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465985/article/recruiting-how-top-25-teams-fared-in-past-5-years

I looked over those classes and whether they worked out or not we did really well with O-Line, D-Line, DB's, RB's and Receivers with only weak area being Linebacker and that wasn't anemic.

If you want to make a case that we didn't develop the talent that is a different story. Until this year O has been pretty darn good so development there has not been a huge issue. On D there is a case for lack of player development but with T-Rob, Muschamp, and Thompson I think you will see some improvement. D will get better with these guys but it takes time.

We all expected O to be dominant as usual with JJ and Muschamp and that would give D time to develop. When O fell flat on their face D was given a double wammy. When SW played and we controlled the clock a little better D looked better against MSU they actually looked good against San Jose they were adequate to good because of the turnovers.

I think we need to see the rest of the year develop before we deem Gus as unable to develop talent. JJ is one player that hasn't developed like we thought, but the season isn't over. Our entire backfield is extremely young and there hasn't been that time to fully develop in the system. Agreed our play calling has been of bad quality, but the players still need time on the field to feel comfortable.

Losing our team leader the first game did demoralize our defense I'm sure but it's gonna take some time to get the players flying around like Muschamp likes them to once he develops the players that buy into it.

Judging Malzahn based off of the first five games with a Senior giving half effort, a new O-line and a backfield of with this youth which causes growing pains is unfair

Just a side note, I wonder if Duke's lack of dominance sparked the suspect play we saw with JJ. If JJ thought he had a sure go to and that sure go to was no longer putting himself in a position to make plays that could cause JJ to force the issue and not progress through his reads. Not saying that is an excuse but I watched Duke's play and that could certainly cause a QB to get rattled once the lights turn on.

"I think we need to see the rest of the year develop before we deem Gus as unable to develop talent. JJ is one player that hasn't developed like we thought, but the season isn't over. Our entire backfield is extremely young and there hasn't been that time to fully develop in the system. Agreed our play calling has been of bad quality, but the players still need time on the field to feel comfortable.

Losing our team leader the first game did demoralize our defense I'm sure but it's gonna take some time to get the players flying around like Muschamp likes them to once he develops the players that buy into it.

Judging Malzahn based off of the first five games with a Senior giving half effort, a new O-line and a backfield of with this youth which causes growing pains is unfair

Just a side note, I wonder if Duke's lack of dominance sparked the suspect play we saw with JJ. If JJ thought he had a sure go to and that sure go to was no longer putting himself in a position to make plays that could cause JJ to force the issue and not progress through his reads. Not saying that is an excuse but I watched Duke's play and that could certainly cause a QB to get rattled once the lights turn on."

I 100% agree with this statement. It is too easy to pile on right now and sell while the AU stock is low. Patience, people...geez.

My "typical AU recruiting" comment was in reply to " Looks like AU took Clayton as a lock and UF went all in"

Meaning IMO, in the highly competitive world of recruiting 4 & 5 star players which AU is heavily involved, we seem to put some kids who really want to come to AU on hold, back up plan, we'll see when we get closer to signing day, etc. only to see them sign elsewhere as other schools slide in.

I would think some of these kids would be very good players at AU due to their desire to play here.

Meaning...Clayton was supposedly leaning to AU but was put on backburner while AU chases more "highly rated" players.

But that's recruiting.

Honestly, the reality for AC, is that the offer from AU propelled his recruitment. He was high on us as he started getting other big offers and pulled back. We probably could have pushed for a committment but it would have been too soon.

I think we need to see the rest of the year develop before we deem Gus as unable to develop talent. JJ is one player that hasn't developed like we thought, but the season isn't over. Our entire backfield is extremely young and there hasn't been that time to fully develop in the system. Agreed our play calling has been of bad quality, but the players still need time on the field to feel comfortable.

Just a side note, I wonder if Duke's lack of dominance sparked the suspect play we saw with JJ. If JJ thought he had a sure go to and that sure go to was no longer putting himself in a position to make plays that could cause JJ to force the issue and not progress through his reads. Not saying that is an excuse but I watched Duke's play and that could certainly cause a QB to get rattled once the lights turn on.

My dad mentioned that after the LSU game. I haven't looked at any game film to confirm or refute, but he believes a high percentage of JJ's bad plays were directed at DW. It's plausible, I suppose.

WDE!

On October 9, 2015 at 10:32 PM, MadtownTiger said:
On October 6, 2015 at 10:12 PM, AUTigers910 said:

My dad mentioned that after the LSU game. I haven't looked at any game film to confirm or refute, but he believes a high percentage of JJ's bad plays were directed at DW. It's plausible, I suppose.

WDE!

I haven't rewatched with the intent of solely focusing on Duke's play so I am in the same boat whereas I cannot agree or refute.

Just thinking about the preseason perception of our passing game and how it may have fallen apart for JJ. Duke was indeed a main factor in everyone thinking our air game would be dynamic. Trouble comes for Duke, Burton leaves (who looked like a player JJ had chemistry with), we call plays with the sole purpose of not getting JJ hit (often quick reads to Duke in the passing game going off of last year or a screen to Louis/ no read option), Duke doesn't perform like JJ expects, Ray drops the first pass in wide open field, and then JJ starts throwing it up for grabs. I would certainly see this as an opportunity for JJ to lose his composure and not be comfortable in the offense. And I would bet the calls we saw the first two and a half games wasn't the offense he was practicing in for the majority of spring and fall.

Archived