Postgame A Day

tigerbrotha12

One more observation

As we have all known, Bammer fans are the lowest class of fans in the entire nation.

Some Bamzos/Updykes were at the A-Day game, yelling Roll Tide. Not in our section or we would have shouted them down (as in the last SEC Championship game with chants of "UPDYKES"!). But other AU faithful were telling me about it in their section and yes, I did see them with their Crapstain gear on.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Haven't had a chance to see the game yet. Was Coach Malzahn sandbagging with Robinson? Or did he just want to see Roc and Peyton more?

Most common response to Robinson and lack of carries is that he hasn't had enough time to learn the playbook.

He has been there longer than Cox, he participated in bowl practices after all. And I would think learning the H back role is tougher than the RB position. Not to mention Jovon practiced with us years ago. I don't think it was his lack of knowledge of the playbook that caused Jovon to not get many reps. I'm thinking Gus didn't want to show his hand.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Haven't had a chance to see the game yet. Was Coach Malzahn sandbagging with Robinson? Or did he just want to see Roc and Peyton more?

Most common response to Robinson and lack of carries is that he hasn't had enough time to learn the playbook.

He has been there longer than Cox, he participated in bowl practices after all. And I would think learning the H back role is tougher than the RB position. Not to mention Jovon practiced with us years ago. I don't think it was his lack of knowledge of the playbook that caused Jovon to not get many reps. I'm thinking Gus didn't want to show his hand.

Didn't the backs get a pretty even distribution? I think Jovon got his early and and was finished after that.

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

Didn't the backs get a pretty even distribution? I think Jovon got his early and and was finished after that.

The most recent numbers I saw had Roc at 7 carries, Jovon at 6 and Peyton at 9...pretty close

How did Jovon do?

2 carries for 8 yards.

The most recent numbers I saw had Roc at 7 carries, Jovon at 6 and Peyton at 9...pretty close

It's more so Jovon' s lack of performance that was surprising. I didn't realize the number of carries were nearly identical among the three backs.

I am surprised on the lack of Defensive comments, I know it is Spring but you should be able to tell something

The defense looked better on Saturday than it has the past 2yrs

Does it truly matter about carries in the spring game? You get more of an idea from one of the scrimmages than this.

You get it. Spring games are pretty meaningless in terms of giving any indication what the upcoming season will be like whether it is the overall record or who will be the starting at several positions. The scrimmages that the public and the media did not see are the real deal.

wde

Does it truly matter about carries in the spring game? You get more of an idea from one of the scrimmages than this.

You get it. Spring games are pretty meaningless in terms of giving any indication what the upcoming season will be like whether it is the overall record or who will be the starting at several positions. The scrimmages that the public and the media did not see are the real deal.

wde

I tend to agree, but does give us an indication about who to watch. I would say Mylon Burton is definitely someone to watch. A sleeper with demonstrated tons of potential.

wde

I tend to agree, but does give us an indication about who to watch. I would say Mylon Burton is definitely someone to watch. A sleeper with demonstrated tons of potential.

Yep. I agree. If Burton does not see the field a lot next year I will be disappointed. He was terrific. He made tough catches too.

As to some punting comments, the punting game is not always about airing out a long punt but effectively punting to inside the 20 at a spot that keeps a ball from likely being returned. Targeting a punt between the hash mark and the sideline is often coached for effective coverage. It more about hang time and ball placement.

As to some punting comments, the punting game is not always about airing out a long punt but effectively punting to inside the 20 at a spot that keeps a ball from likely being returned. Targeting a punt between the hash mark and the sideline is often coached for effective coverage. It more about hang time and ball placement.

One positive of SECN/ESPN not showing the game until later is that I read many comments about the game before I watched it, which made me pay attention to some things I would otherwise have ignored or paid little attention. Since I remembered your comments about the punting, I actually tried to watch that more than I think I would have with no one but the kicker, long snapper, and return man.

The punting looked pretty good to me, especially from an accuracy standpoint. There was one that would have landed on the 5, and I was a bit surprised the return man fielded the ball. There was the long one from the back of the punter's own end zone, where he got it out there pretty good. And there were many that were well-placed between the hash and sideline.

Archived