Jeremy Johnson named starting QB for 2015

AUEngineer2016

While this is hardly shocking, the announcement of it at this time is significant.

Exactly

Yep. When was the last time a new starter was named so early? Cam y'all remember?

;-)

Actually, JJ was named earlier (4/20/2015) than Cam (4/28/2010).

we comin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do most people automatically assume that JJ is only going to play one more year? He was just officially named the starter today, and everybody assumes he will declare after this year. All everybody talked about last year was how Duke would be one and done. Until JJ says he is going to the NFL early, I am going to assume that he will exhaust all of his eligibility at AU before moving on.

Why do most people automatically assume that JJ is only going to play one more year? He was just officially named the starter today, and everybody assumes he will declare after this year. All everybody talked about last year was how Duke would be one and done. Until JJ says he is going to the NFL early, I am going to assume that he will exhaust all of his eligibility at AU before moving on.

Because the staff is looking to take two QBs in this year's 2016 class. They're preparing for his departure.

Because the staff is looking to take two QBs in this year's 2016 class. They're preparing for his departure.

It's also a case of hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We can all hope that JJ comes back, but you can be dang sure we're going to prepare like he's going to the NFL so that if he does we aren't caught flat footed.

JMO, but there is nothing much lost by taking more the one top QB candidate if you have the opportunity.....and most of the ones under consideration have the ability to play more than one position. Better to have one more QB than you need...than one less.

These days with a prospect like JJ the coaches have to plan for the possibility that he might leave early. We've got good QBs backed up for several years now, but you never know how they will work out....also we've had several 4* and 5* disappointments over recent years and QB situations that looked pretty good for the "future" turned out to be disastrous.

JMO, but there is nothing much lost by taking more the one top QB candidate if you have the opportunity.....and most of the ones under consideration have the ability to play more than one position. Better to have one more QB than you need...than one less.

These days with a prospect like JJ the coaches have to plan for the possibility that he might leave early. We've got good QBs backed up for several years now, but you never know how they will work out....also we've had several 4* and 5* disappointments over recent years and QB situations that looked pretty good for the "future" turned out to be disastrous.

Obviously, it's better for the team to have a surplus of good players at QB than a deficit. But one consideration against overstocking at QB this year would be the recruiting picture the following year. I think we are getting to the point where we can be a bit more selective with our QBs. That's not to say we're not looking to sign 2 in case JJ leaves. But I would be happy to sign Pass alone this year. (And has a QB ever had a better name?)

If Duke didn't get hurt, and then get suspended, he probably would've

The problem is, with limited slots for recruits each year, if you allocate too many for one position (be it QB or anywhere else), you can take less players at another position. You have to figure out the right balance for each position. It might make sense to take 2 QBs this year, but it depends on many factors: who you can get, who you already have, who's coming along at QB beyond the 2016 class, what the other positions of need on the team are and who you can get to fill those needs.

The problem is, with limited slots for recruits each year, if you allocate too many for one position (be it QB or anywhere else), you can take less players at another position. You have to figure out the right balance for each position. It might make sense to take 2 QBs this year, but it depends on many factors: who you can get, who you already have, who's coming along at QB beyond the 2016 class, what the other positions of need on the team are and who you can get to fill those needs.

Yep.

The staff wants a high profile QB (Pass) and an under the radar QB so that in the case that JJ chooses to leave after next season, we have depth at the QB position.

That's what I thought as well until I watched the interview with coach DC where he said Duke told him in the Fall he wanted to stay and graduate from Auburn. Coach DC said Sammie told him last season was going to be his final season.

Scarb with a decent article ...

Put it this way. Other SEC contenders have yet to identify a starting quarterback. Auburn identified its 2015 starter two years ago and has spent plenty of time in the interim getting him ready for Louisville on Sept. 5.

If Johnson is merely good this season, Auburn likely won't be good enough to get back to Atlanta after a one-year absence. If he's as good as he can be, if he reaches his considerable ceiling, the Tigers can be a contender all the way to the SEC Championship Game - and beyond.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/if_jeremy_johnson_reaches_his.html

Unless Coker decides to transfer over to AU, JJ should be the man next year....and the year after. Would be nice to have some stability in the offense for a while.

Coker is terrible, he wouldn't start over Queen. And Jeremy won't be here that many years.

I watched parts of the Bama spring game. Coker is very inconsistent. He will through a good pass, then an interception right to the defensive player.

Unless Coker decides to transfer over to AU, JJ should be the man next year....and the year after. Would be nice to have some stability in the offense for a while.

Coker is terrible, he wouldn't start over Queen. And Jeremy won't be here that many years.

I watched parts of the Bama spring game. Coker is very inconsistent. He will through a good pass, then an interception right to the defensive player.

He has as much arm strength as Marshall, but has lesser so accuracy.

Was anyone else super happy to see Jeremy watch Roc's first TD run develop and bolt to get ahead of him and provide the block all the way to the end zone?

After watching him against Ark, I have been looking forward to him starting. He is tall enough to see over the line and has a great arm. His accuracy is wonderful. His only issue is that he holds on to the ball a little too long at times. When he is playing full time, I think he will adjust.

i agree that the sky is the limit with this kid. Championships start with the quarterback and end with defense. I hope both come together this year.

Those two things wouldn't have affected his draft position any. We just all assumed he would. Lot's of people thought he would go even after that. That suspension was taken as a sign he was gone. Never assume anything.

He is more accurate than Nick and he has better strength.

Probably true on both counts, although Nick has a freakish arm. I did watch Coker during warm-ups last year. He was standing on the fifty throwing balls into the endzone, and it was one of the more effortless things I've ever seen. That being said, I'd rather have Nick or JJ in our offense 10/10.

Probably true on both counts, although Nick has a freakish arm. I did watch Coker during warm-ups last year. He was standing on the fifty throwing balls into the endzone, and it was one of the more effortless things I've ever seen. That being said, I'd rather have Nick or JJ in our offense 10/10.

Bammers might agree with you. They're not as high on him as they were before he even played a down of football for them.

Bammers might agree with you. They're not as high on him as they were before he even played a down of football for them.

And they shouldn't be. He's not nearly as athletic as he was made out to be, and from the little I've seen him play, the guy isn't a great decision maker, especially under any sort of pressure.

Anybody think he will get 1,000 yards rushing?

nvm nick didn't even get 1,000

He did in '13

Those two things wouldn't have affected his draft position any. We just all assumed he would. Lot's of people thought he would go even after that. That suspension was taken as a sign he was gone. Never assume anything.

Youre assuming he would've stayed under those conditions...kinda hypocritical

Archived