Jeremy Johnson named starting QB for 2015

AUEngineer2016

Unless Coker decides to transfer over to AU, JJ should be the man next year....and the year after. Would be nice to have some stability in the offense for a while.

Coker is terrible, he wouldn't start over Queen. And Jeremy won't be here that many years.

I watched parts of the Bama spring game. Coker is very inconsistent. He will through a good pass, then an interception right to the defensive player.

He has as much arm strength as Marshall, but has lesser so accuracy.

He is more accurate than Nick and he has better strength.

He is not more accurate and I don't know about the arm strength part.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many first year starting QBs have led a team to an SEC Championship? Obviously Cam Newton did it. There must be some others though, right?

How many first year starting QBs have led a team to an SEC Championship? Obviously Cam Newton did it. There must be some others though, right?

Blake Sims

Anybody think he will get 1,000 yards rushing?

nvm nick didn't even get 1,000

He did in '13

yeah think he'll get about 800-900 yards, no options....qb draws and scrambles

On 680 The Fan in Atlanta today, Buck Belue said Johnson's upside could make him the best QB in the SEC this year. He said AU would be very good on Offense.

Blake Sims

Marshall, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Scarb with a decent article ...

Put it this way. Other SEC contenders have yet to identify a starting quarterback. Auburn identified its 2015 starter two years ago and has spent plenty of time in the interim getting him ready for Louisville on Sept. 5.

If Johnson is merely good this season, Auburn likely won't be good enough to get back to Atlanta after a one-year absence. If he's as good as he can be, if he reaches his considerable ceiling, the Tigers can be a contender all the way to the SEC Championship Game - and beyond.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/if_jeremy_johnson_reaches_his.html

it makes one wonder. If Jeremy was the better passer, the better qb, why didn't he beat out Nick one of two years?

^^^^^ Well lets make a list.

1. Maybe our Oline as better at run blocking than pass blocking.

2. Maybe our RB's were better than our receivers.

3. Maybe our coaches were not comfortable making a true freshman the starting QB..

4. And my top answer. Maybe the coaches felt starting Nick gave us the best chance to win.

3. Maybe our coaches were not comfortable making a true freshman the starting QB..

4. And my top answer. Maybe the coaches felt starting Nick gave us the best chance to win.

I agree. Just thought I would stir the pot

I agree. Just thought I would stir the pot

I imagine that it was hard for the coaches to know who gave us the best chance of winning between the two. Since they had very different strengths, but were both very talented. It's hard to predict which QB will be better, when both of them are capable of putting up 30+ points against any D in the country. At some point, you've just got to pick one and tailor the offense to their style of play. Personally, I'd probably pick the senior that carried me to the BCS Championship game the year before, as opposed to the one who had only started one game, given that they are both studs on the practice field.

Just looking at the team overall if it was me and of course it's just a football fan opinion I'd have Johnson starting and let Nick play corner

The 2013 team was perfect for NM at QB and the 2014 might've been better served with JJ at QB given the pieces around the QBs. With the lack of dominant run blocking last season it seemed having a QB who was better at throwing might've led to a smoother offense.

The 2013 team was perfect for NM at QB and the 2014 might've been better served with JJ at QB given the pieces around the QBs. With the lack of dominant run blocking last season it seemed having a QB who was better at throwing might've led to a smoother offense.

I think they might've thought too highly of Marshall's progression throwing

I think that a coaching staff which had a QB that led their team all the way to the national championship game may have been reluctant to go in a different direction. And that's not meant as criticism either. Also, the issue with the AU Tigers football team in 2014 was hardly the offense. If the defense had even been average over the final half the season, who was or wasn't starting at QB would never come under discussion.

I think that a coaching staff which had a QB that led their team all the way to the national championship game may have been reluctant to go in a different direction. And that's not meant as criticism either. Also, the issue with the AU Tigers football team in 2014 was hardly the offense. If the defense had even been average over the final half the season, who was or wasn't starting at QB would never come under discussion.

I know this goes against my original post, but I do agree with this. It just seemed during the inevitable 10-15 mins of game time each game where the offensive drives consisted of CAP running into Slade/Dismukes' ass for 2 yards 2 plays in a row, with one being an incorrect zone read decision by NM (if it even was a decision), and then a bomb that would be incomplete that a QB that was a threat to throw the ball everywhere on the field could've helped out. But who would really pull a QB that led the team to a national title game when you had certain players in the secondary looking like they were point shaving lol I'm looking right at you, #6!

Obviously I'm joking, but before people jump on me, the defense's inability to even be bad instead of putrid was the problem. It magnified every single offensive mistake because the O needed 6 every time they stepped on the field. One punt and it was damn near impossible to catch up...ugh

Bingo, CleCo.

Bingo, CleCo.

And CleCo was his name-o, C-L-E-C-O....!

I do have to say there was a certain point where we shouldve realized we were gonna have to score nearly every drive. Blaming the defense wasn't gonna solve the problem that the offense was extremely inconsistent. That started with the coaches and not Marshall though.

Ex: FSU went into every game this season knowing their defense, specifically their secondary, would only get stops in the late second half. So they did what they had to adjust to that.

Not the same situation but an example

Ex: FSU went into every game this season knowing their defense, specifically their secondary, would only get stops in the late second half. So they did what they had to adjust to that.

Not the same situation but an example

Fsu's defense and secondary was better than AU. Not a good example IMO.

Bingo, CleCo.

And CleCo was his name-o, C-L-E-C-O....!

:Sing::clap:

We scored 44 points and put up the all time record for yardage ever given up by a Bammer defense. Still lost because the defense did absolutely nothing, nada, couldn't even slow them down for a single drive in the second half. Who was the QB was of no consequence. Most awful defense in the history of Auburn football.

Archived