wind turbines kill more birds than BP oil spill

cooltigger21

I'll do some charts. Maybe it will help poor ol' tigger.

birds_v_nukes.jpg?w=480&h=373

BirdDeaths.jpg

Yowza! Look at that estimate for coal. :no:

Regardless of bird kills, I'm surprised that anyone who cares about environmental aesthetics would defend wind turbines. Just ride west of Oklahoma and look at miles of them six deep along the road. The Kennedys sure didn't want them in their backyard.

Regardless of bird kills, I'm surprised that anyone who cares about environmental aesthetics would defend wind turbines. Just ride west of Oklahoma and look at miles of them six deep along the road. The Kennedys sure didn't want them in their backyard.

Wouldn't environment "aesthetics" also be affected by fish kills, oil derricks, smokestacks, vegetation loss, habitat loss, odors, etc., etc., and countless other assaults on the senses? Beauty (aesthetics) is in the eye of the beholder.

But yes, I think it's hypocritical for environmental concerned people to protest "not in my back yard". (I can't speak to the Kennedy's in specific, I never a statement from any of them regarding the New England off-shore wind farms)

Of course, lots of Americans suffer from NIMBY ( "Not in my back yard") syndrome. "I want more prisons..but not in my backyard", "I want more nuclear plants, but not in my back yard", "I want better interstate access, but NIMBY". "Better mental health facilities! but NIMBY". "More shelters for the homeless...just NIMBY." Some folks even complain about having a neighborhood school, because of the associated traffic or the imagined "ne'er-do-well's" that the student population brings to their neighborhood.

Archived