Neal McCready

AURainman

WTF?!

Forgive and forget isn't Tub's style

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tommy Tuberville made his reputation in the Southeastern Conference as the somewhat flamboyant Riverboat Gambler. His teams at Mississippi and Auburn went for it on fourth down, tried fake punts deep in their territory, smoked cigars after September victories and stomped on the LSU Tiger eye at midfield in Baton Rouge.

Tuberville has always been outspoken, publicly and privately. Mississippi fans adored him when he said the only way he'd leave Oxford was in a "pine box." They found out a month later that he meant he'd leave in a plane owned by a man who made a fortune selling treated pine.

He infuriates rival fans with biting jabs. Recently, Tuberville said Alabama should add his surname to Bryant-Denny Stadium, referring of course to his 3-0 record as Auburn's coach in Tuscaloosa.

Like most coaches, Tuberville is a borderline egomaniac. He's proud, vengeful (why else would a win at Mississippi in 2000 be cause for celebration for an Auburn coach?) and ultra-competitive.

So it seems stunning that Tuberville, whose undefeated Auburn team is ranked No. 3 going into Monday's Sugar Bowl against Virginia Tech, is going to stay with the school that tried to wreck his career. One year after Auburn basically fired him only to get caught courting Bobby Petrino, Tuberville is The Associated Press National Coach of the Year.

It doesn't seem that Tuberville is the type to give a cheating spouse a second chance. Auburn humiliated Tuberville last November by going to Louisville to interview his former offensive coordinator. A year later, the school is throwing security and boatloads of money at him to stay on the Plains for many years to come. A bouquet, some chocolates and a signature will make it official.

A source close to Tuberville told the Mobile Register Sunday that Tuberville wanted the LSU job. He said Tuberville's agent, Jimmy Sexton, had tried to get Tuberville's name in the mix at Florida last month with no success. The source said Tuberville was extremely bitter about Jetgate and had hoped to bolt to a new gig soon.

Who could blame him? Most people don't want to work for an employer who has shown he/she lies and betrays. Most employees who have been mistreated and lied to can't wait to walk into the boss' office with a two-second notice and a smug smile. The chance to work for a competitor would only make the revenge all the sweeter.

Tuberville has said all the right things in the past couple of weeks. Of course, what else could he say? A current head coach with a lucrative contract offer on the table can't exactly lobby for another job. Tuberville professed his love for Auburn while Sexton lobbied for the job in Baton Rouge. That's the way coaching searches work.

LSU fans' hatred for Tuberville (who is 6-2 in his last eight meetings against the Bayou Bengals) combined with the $3 million buyout clause in his current contract at Auburn made Tuberville unattractive to LSU athletics director Skip Bertman.

Many of the people who took that plane to Louisville are still in place at Auburn. The guy who owns the jet, Bobby Lowder, is still in control.

Tuberville has 15 million reasons to smile and let bygones be bygones, but Tuberville has never been the forgiving type. And he sure won't forget.

(Neal McCready's column appears Wednesdays in the Mobile Register. Contact him at nmccready@mobileregister.com)

The stomping on a logo thing happens a LOT in college football and has happened too many times for me to count at J-H stadium. For some reason, people keep kicking dirt up on that one. Same with the cigar incident. Why is Neal McCready trying to badmouth Tuberville by putting this label on him?

When did Tuberville ever make a comment about Bryant-Denny-Tuberville Stadium? I've been out for a while, someone keep me current.

Why would Tuberville be excited about beating Ole Miss on his first trip back to Oxford?...............hmmmm........ That's a toughy. Neal, if that makes him egomaniacal, I must be an a$$h*le.

Now Auburn, the team he covers on a day to day basis, is a cheating spouse? Throw more mud please. Thanks.

Could it be, Mr. McCready, that YOU are bitter at YOUR source. Not Tuberville bitter at Auburn.

Thanks for nothing Neal McCready. Thanks for dragging Auburn through the mud to sell more papers. Journalism at its finest!!!

I bet he is trying to "justify" why another from the Mobile Register wrote the article the other day "Tuberville interested in LSU vacancy ". You know the one with the "source". ;)

:au:

The all consuming jealousy of the smaller school in the western part of the state is at an all time high. Which coincides with uat's "program" being at an all time low.

GREAT fun indeed! :big::au:

The all consuming jealousy of the smaller school in the western part of the state is at an all time high. Which coincides with uat's "program" being at an all time low.

GREAT fun indeed! :big:   :au:

134457[/snapback]

and it should concern you......this is exactly the mood following the 1989 season after 4 auburn victories in a row. That culminated with 4 Alabama boosters cosigining on a car loan for Eric Ramsey to tell his story about how he received illegal benefits from Auburn to help support and feed his growing family.

Rain, I couldn't agree more about the logo stomping reference. I watched MSU and Bama do it at JH. MSU got that started in the SEC but it's been done for years at places like FSU, Miami etc. Why the CTT reference? Why is he all of a sudden the bad guy when his team did it what, 4 years ago in one game at LSU?

I wonder if McCready was so antimate about Dennis Rice-A-Roni's constant reference to AU as "That school down the road"?

Stomping on anyone's logo is stupid and utterly disrespectful.

And yes, we did it in 2001 at UT, which Richt got a LOT of crap for....it happens but I just hope he doesnt let it happen again.

If Tuberville isn't the forgive and forget type, why is he still at Auburn right now spouting off about how he wants to stay there for a long time? What's the point of this article??

"The Point" is the same as always. The bamaham media must take any and every opportuntiy to put down AU and attempt to prop up uat.

Some things NEVER change. :D

Stomping on anyone's logo is stupid and utterly disrespectful.

And yes, we did it in 2001 at UT, which Richt got a LOT of crap for....it happens but I just hope he doesnt let it happen again.

134473[/snapback]

True...however...we're the ONLY ONES that I've EVER seen FLAGGED for it...and that's the truth...and I've been around for a long time.... Seems there's a double standard. But it just feeds out "us against the world" mentality! :au::homer::big:

GREAT fun indeed! :big:   :au:

134457[/snapback]

and it should concern you......this is exactly the mood following the 1989 season after 4 auburn victories in a row. That culminated with 4 Alabama boosters cosigining on a car loan for Eric Ramsey to tell his story about how he received illegal benefits from Auburn to help support and feed his growing family.

134460[/snapback]

Yawn...Stretch. They are uat. THAT is what THEY do. :D

"Many of the people who took that plane to Louisville are still in place at Auburn. The guy who owns the jet, Bobby Lowder, is still in control."

Can someone explain that quote in that article? He named one person...yet said many people are still in place at auburn who were on that plane....um what????!?!

Someone needs to send this guy an email with some CORRECT information.

"The Point" is the same as always. The bamaham media must take any and every opportuntiy to put down AU and attempt to prop up uat.

134478[/snapback]

It's not the "bamaham" media this time WT. That's from the Mobile Register. ;):poke:

134478[/snapback]

It's not the "bamaham" media this time WT. That's from the Mobile Register. ;):poke:

134489[/snapback]

ALL media in this state is "bamaham" media...In my humble opinion. :big:

Isn't McCready the guy who was caught exposing himself in a Mobile park a couple of years ago?

I think it was but they didn't press charges because nobody could see anything there. :D:D

Isn't McCready the guy who was caught exposing himself in a Mobile park a couple of years ago?

I think it was but they didn't press charges because nobody could see anything there. :D  :D

134598[/snapback]

LOLOLOL :lol::lol: I needed that this morning.

How about the 3 stooges on ESPN last night! They said, as if it were a warning, "Auburn hasn't seen a defense like VA Tech's all year"! Excuse me, but we're the #1 scoring defense in the country! HELLO!!!! Earth to stooges!!!

And then they defended all the cheating at Ohio State all night long...did they defend Bamar like that? I think not! Their big 10 bias is disgusting!!! :angry::angry::angry:

We need sombody with a Southern bent on that show...it's way too big 10 for my tastes.... These morons don't know squat about Southern football.... :au::homer:

How about the 3 stooges on ESPN last night! They said, as if it were a warning, "Auburn hasn't seen a defense like VA Tech's all year"! Excuse me, but we're the #1 scoring defense in the country! HELLO!!!! Earth to stooges!!!

And then they defended all the cheating at Ohio State all night long...did they defend Bamar like that? I think not! Their big 10 bias is disgusting!!! :angry:   :angry:   :angry:

We need sombody with a Southern bent on that show...it's way too big 10 for my tastes.... These morons don't know squat about Southern football....  :au:   :homer:

134629[/snapback]

Someone with a Southern bent......you mean more Bill Currys? :D:D

134478[/snapback]

134489[/snapback]

ALL media in this state is "bamaham" media...In my humble opinion. :big:

134539[/snapback]

You've apparently never read the Montgomery "Aubvertiser" then. :P

I have read the MontgomerHAM paper. It, too, is in the pocket of the good old boys in loserville. :big::lol::lol::lol:

I heard them talking last night about Va. Tech's defense and they said something to the effect of "Well, AU people say they've faced a great defense in Alabama, but Va. Tech's defense is much better."

Just paraphrasing above and this is no disrespect to the Hokies but their D better be pretty darn stout to match what we saw in LSU, UGA and Bama. I know the hokies are very good but they are not better than those units.

On another note, how's that Big 12 looking so far? OU had to go through some absolute killer teams, didn't they? Let's see...Okie State was only down 33-0 before they scored a meaningless TD late and Colorado had to score late to come from way behind and beat that powerhouse, UTEP. Man, I don't know how OU could have possibly gone through that schedule without getting destroyed. ;)

Archived