The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

What!!!! White people vandalizing, and destroying public property!!! That doesn't happen!!! Animals!!!

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm going to put money on that the majority of black people weren't rioting when the flag came down....

Your analogy, while gallant, has holes in it.

The flag of the United States represents a lot of good and bad. 77 years of slavery being accepted shows that both the CBF and the stars and stripes share commonality. Both sprung up through rebellion. Both flew over a war for independence. Only one remained the flag of a nation while the other was to be furled and placed in historical context. Unfortunately one was given a new meaning by hate groups and such used to espouse rhetoric for an entire race of people from one region of the country.

It is what it is...and the stars and stripes will be the next symbol under attack by the revisionist.

Being born in rebellion is probably true of many if not most flags. (It would be an interesting research project). The more important question is the reason for the rebellion.

The American flag represents a nation that ultimately recognized and dealt with our country's original sin. The CBF represented the military of a self-proclaimed nation dedicated to the preservation and expansion of that original sin.

There is a clear difference in symbolic heritage.

And while they dealt with that sin they didn't deal with the other sins against Native Americans and kicked it into higher gear post Civil War. Under the flags flown by the United States which are flown by hate groups today.

All true. (Well except for the last sentence which I didn't quite get.)

But, either from it's origins or it's subsequent use by white supremacists, there is a strong symbolic tie to racism that doesn't exist with the American flag, except for those who truly believe American is evil or for those who are trying to wrap themselves in the flag and co opt it for their evil purpose.

Last sentence refers to the fact that hate groups do fly the American flag.

Good grief. :no:

We are replicating the Titan/EMT exchange.

The American flag does not connote white supremacy; the CBF does. That is fact.

There are obvious reasons for that fact which you may or may not accept as it pleases you. You can also challenge that fact with all the rationalization and logic you want, but it doesn't change it.

I have never said that it does not represent racism to some people. It is flown by racist and non-racist today. That is a fact.

The American flag does connote white supremacy through its past actions to some. It is flown by racist and non-racist today. That is a fact.

I fully acknowledge and accept why people view it as racist (notice I even said it needed to come off the SC State house cause it was put there in defiance of civil rights). You have a problem with me on this cause I am applying the exact same rules to the US flag from a Native American perspective. Yes I do know and did know many that viewed the US flag in the same manner as the CBF.

I am not backing down on this so just agree to disagree. For every single reason you can say the CBF is racist you can say the US flag is racist.

Sure, like I said, one can rationalize such a case all they want but it just doesn't reflect practical reality.

The flag became popular with many racist Southerners in the 1950's and 60's. Why? Because the Federal government started to promote the idea of equal rights for blacks. The CBF flag was used to 1) show defiance to the feds and 2) show black people who was still in charge.

Consequently, there is a very large contingent of people, white and black, who see the CBF as a racist emblem, including the white supremacists who still use it for that reason.

That interpretation does not come from an historical analysis tying the flag to the Confederacy. It comes from direct experience in recent history as well as the present.

Where is a similar constituency that are offended by the US flag?

When has the U.S. flag been deliberately used to represent slavery or the genocide of native Americans to the extent it assumed that symbolism?

I said agree to disagree and that I am not budging.

I am now going to take anything else you say as an attack on slutty pirate costumes. Which I consider a very serious issue.

I figured you'd go after slutty Uncle Sam costumes.

BREAKING NEWS:

TAKING THE CONFEDERATE FLAG DOWN HAS MIRACULOUSLY CURED RACISM AND CANCER.

NEWS AT 10:00

I'll take "Things No One Ever Came Close to Claiming" for $100, Alex.

Reminded me of the "Sean Connery on Jeopardy" skit on SNL. :laugh:

Your analogy, while gallant, has holes in it.

The flag of the United States represents a lot of good and bad. 77 years of slavery being accepted shows that both the CBF and the stars and stripes share commonality. Both sprung up through rebellion. Both flew over a war for independence. Only one remained the flag of a nation while the other was to be furled and placed in historical context. Unfortunately one was given a new meaning by hate groups and such used to espouse rhetoric for an entire race of people from one region of the country.

It is what it is...and the stars and stripes will be the next symbol under attack by the revisionist.

Being born in rebellion is probably true of many if not most flags. (It would be an interesting research project). The more important question is the reason for the rebellion.

The American flag represents a nation that ultimately recognized and dealt with our country's original sin. The CBF represented the military of a self-proclaimed nation dedicated to the preservation and expansion of that original sin.

There is a clear difference in symbolic heritage.

And while they dealt with that sin they didn't deal with the other sins against Native Americans and kicked it into higher gear post Civil War. Under the flags flown by the United States which are flown by hate groups today.

All true. (Well except for the last sentence which I didn't quite get.)

But, either from it's origins or it's subsequent use by white supremacists, there is a strong symbolic tie to racism that doesn't exist with the American flag, except for those who truly believe American is evil or for those who are trying to wrap themselves in the flag and co opt it for their evil purpose.

Last sentence refers to the fact that hate groups do fly the American flag.

Good grief. :no:

We are replicating the Titan/EMT exchange.

The American flag does not connote white supremacy; the CBF does. That is fact.

There are obvious reasons for that fact which you may or may not accept as it pleases you. You can also challenge that fact with all the rationalization and logic you want, but it doesn't change it.

I have never said that it does not represent racism to some people. It is flown by racist and non-racist today. That is a fact.

The American flag does connote white supremacy through its past actions to some. It is flown by racist and non-racist today. That is a fact.

I fully acknowledge and accept why people view it as racist (notice I even said it needed to come off the SC State house cause it was put there in defiance of civil rights). You have a problem with me on this cause I am applying the exact same rules to the US flag from a Native American perspective. Yes I do know and did know many that viewed the US flag in the same manner as the CBF.

I am not backing down on this so just agree to disagree. For every single reason you can say the CBF is racist you can say the US flag is racist.

Sure, like I said, one can rationalize such a case all they want but it just doesn't reflect practical reality.

The flag became popular with many racist Southerners in the 1950's and 60's. Why? Because the Federal government started to promote the idea of equal rights for blacks. The CBF flag was used to 1) show defiance to the feds and 2) show black people who was still in charge.

Consequently, there is a very large contingent of people, white and black, who see the CBF as a racist emblem, including the white supremacists who still use it for that reason.

That interpretation does not come from an historical analysis tying the flag to the Confederacy. It comes from direct experience in recent history as well as the present.

Where is a similar constituency that are offended by the US flag?

When has the U.S. flag been deliberately used to represent slavery or the genocide of native Americans to the extent it assumed that symbolism?

I said agree to disagree and that I am not budging.

I am now going to take anything else you say as an attack on slutty pirate costumes. Which I consider a very serious issue.

I figured you'd go after slutty Uncle Sam costumes.

They just aren't as creative.

I don't even know what yall are talking about. Why are youfreaks discussing slutty pirate costumes.

"Hehehe"

Hey. Watch it !!!

BREAKING NEWS:

I'll take "Dense people that can't take a joke" for $500 Alex.

BREAKING NEWS:

Yeah right.

It was a "joke" with a point. The same stale non sequitur strawman nonsense I've seen all over Facebook and Twitter.

BREAKING NEWS:

Jokes are not allowed on this board!

I took it as a serious claim that cancer had been cured by your post, since you never explicitly said "incoming joke"

BREAKING NEWS:

Yeah right.

It was a "joke" with a point. The same stale non sequitur strawman nonsense I've seen all over Facebook and Twitter.

No hope for you.

Only 15 pages to go. Where are you Ben? You aren't helping at all.

Scientific claims now say that Confederate battle flags are a myth, global warming still up for debate.

Been mowing grass all day. Got a hell of a sunburn to show for it. :banghead:

Been mowing grass all day. Got a hell of a sunburn to show for it. :banghead:

Why would you mow grass? You can not affect your environment! Global warming is a hoax! That grass will just grow right back, because Earth will always "correct" itself!

I just drove 11 and a half hour. To cocoa beach. I will have plenty sun here then will have a forrest of a yard next Sunday when i get home.

I just drove 11 and a half hour. To cocoa beach. I will have plenty sun here then will have a forrest of a yard next Sunday when i get home.

Going to PCB in two weeks. One more mow should carry me through until I get back assuming the rain holds off. It was bad today. Couldn't mow last weekend after all that rain because I was on call at the hospital.

Going to PCB in two weeks. One more mow should carry me through until I get back assuming the rain holds off. It was bad today. Couldn't mow last weekend after all that rain because I was on call at the hospital.

i like PCB. We will probably come here from now on. Cheaper and much less crowd. Gonna check out cape canavral more too.

i like PCB. We will probably come here from now on. Cheaper and much less crowd. Gonna check out cape canavral more too.

We go to the same condos my family has gone to for decades on the far western end of PCB close to 30A. Away from the high-rises and nowhere near as crowded. My parents picked it because my older brother, who has 7 years on me, needed a kiddy pool.

We go to the same condos my family has gone to for decades on the far western end of PCB close to 30A. Away from the high-rises and nowhere near as crowded. My parents picked it because my older brother, who has 7 years on me, needed a kiddy pool.

Down past Sunnyside?

Down past Sunnyside?

Yeah. Right on the edge of the Hollywood Beach-Sunnyside boundary.

Latitude 29. Love the place.

Your gonna get eaten by a shark hehe. Wait..... that is actually North Carolina this year isn't it?

Archived