The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

One great thing about not flying the Confederate flag - I don't get associated with idiots like this.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/07/2_decatur_workers_say_confeder.html#incart_river

there could be another side of the story. However if he is telling the truth the employer handled it wrong. Not sure how much say they have on what is in the parking lot.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One great thing about not flying the Confederate flag - I don't get associated with idiots like this.

http://www.al.com/ne...ml#incart_river

there could be another side of the story. However if he is telling the truth the employer handled it wrong. Not sure how much say they have on what is in the parking lot.

Considering the parking lot is likely their property, they have far more say than the employee does.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/07/2_decatur_workers_say_confeder.html#incart_river

The other side of the story is that you fly your damn flags on your own property, in front of your own house. If the employer doesn't want the thing associated with him, that's his right. If you don't like it, you can be like this dumb bammer.

The other side of the story is that you fly your damn flags on your own property, in front of your own house. If the employer doesn't want the thing associated with him, that's his right. If you don't like it, you can be like this dumb bammer.

And that when said employer requests you go take it down or risk termination, you go take it down.

Why is he an idiot for displaying it on his personal vehicle?

He's an idiot for putting his desire to fly that flag above being employed. When you're at work, if your employer says not to wear jeans, or not to come with your face painted, or not to fly a flag that makes him look bad on his property, you do it. Or you get fired like an idiot.

It may be your personal vehicle, but that vehicle is on company property.

And that when said employer requests you go take it down or risk termination, you go take it down.

Unless you're an idiot.

Unless you're an idiot.

The hat certainly confirms the extent of his idiocy.

don't get pissy with me. I despise this idiot and the flag too. Instead of threatening him off the bat, i would suggest a more subtle request for him to remove it might have avoided the publicity no business wants. If that was the case. There are laws regarding your vehicle and employees/ employer rights. One changed recently involving guns in your car on employer property. I don't know how this plays out but the lack of comment from employer might signal a mistake.

I don't think it's going to hurt this business at all. He did the right thing.

As you said, you're getting one side. One of the employees isn't saying anything and this one is making it sound like it went from zero to threat in nothing flat. Something tells me the bammer redneck is a less than reliable relayer of information.

I don't think it's going to hurt this business at all. He did the right thing.

As you said, you're getting one side. One of the employees isn't saying anything and this one is making it sound like it went from zero to threat in nothing flat. Something tells me the bammer redneck is a less than reliable relayer of information.

we agree.

So much butthurt over a symbol.

This nation makes me proud :flag:/>

You need ointment? Strych has the hookup

So much butthurt over a symbol.

This nation makes me proud :flag:/>

You need ointment? Strych has the hookup

Prescription strength.

Since when did symbols become trivial things. :dunno:

Since they were ones they liked.

I was actually speaking to both sides of the argument. It is just a symbol, take it away from a crazy racist and he's still a crazy racist... just maybe slightly harder to identify right off the bat. On the other side, if a minority is treated unequal a symbol not being there doesn't lessen the sting of the injustice.

Ideas can be dangerous, such as those propagated by the hate website the Roof kid studied on before committing his crimes. But a symbol? It can merely signify followers of good or bad intentions.

Wonder why no one has made a big deal that the hate group that runs that website has given money in the past to presidential candidates (some that are still running), but a kid waving a flag in a picture stays on headlines for weeks.

Since when did symbols become trivial things. :dunno:

Since they were ones they liked.

I was actually speaking to both sides of the argument. It is just a symbol, take it away from a crazy racist and he's still a crazy racist... just maybe slightly harder to identify right off the bat. On the other side, if a minority is treated unequal a symbol not being there doesn't lessen the sting of the injustice.

Ideas can be dangerous, such as those propagated by the hate website the Roof kid studied on before committing his crimes. But a symbol? It can merely signify followers of good or bad intentions.

Wonder why no one has made a big deal that the hate group that runs that website has given money in the past to presidential candidates (some that are still running), but a kid waving a flag in a picture stays on headlines for weeks.

Not exactly. If certain ideas can be dangerous or hateful then a symbol - which is a direct representation of those ideas - is just as dangerous or hateful. It's a graphical representation or embodiment of the idea.

Symbolism..........one of the best/worst embodiments of humanity.

Titan.....and again I say IMHO it is more relevant than many others in this thread. Why won't you acknowledge that?

Because he runs this forum and he is the one who deems things relevant or irrelevant to steer the discussion in his favor. So ironic. It happened in the Hoover thread. Somebody throws out a red herring, gets called on it, and he and his buddies would rather defend the red herring than admit error. Same thing in this one.

Titan.....and again I say IMHO it is more relevant than many others in this thread. Why won't you acknowledge that?

Because he runs this forum and he is the one who deems things relevant or irrelevant to steer the discussion in his favor. So ironic. It happened in the Hoover thread. Somebody throws out a red herring, gets called on it, and he and his buddies would rather defend the red herring than admit error. Same thing in this one.

Oh BS.

Titan goes to a lot of trouble to explain his reasoning and it's usually quite reasonable. You guys are just pissed because the conversation is not going the way you want it to. That's more your problem than it is anyone else's.

He is simply pointing out the obvious. He's not being arbitrary. And I am willing to bet more people on this forum agree with him than not. Regardless, he provides plenty of opportunity for everyone to express their opinion in disagreement. Your challenge is to do so in a thoughtful and intelligent manner.

This forum is moderated very leniently. In fact, more leniently that some of us would prefer, considering the association with Auburn University.

Archived