The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

Nice read.........but it goes both ways. And people should respect others and their rights in spite of their differences.

It goes both ways how? Again, I'm not speaking of "rights." People have the right to be uncaring, selfish and insensitive. But let's call it exactly what it is: uncaring. selfish. insensitive.

If merely flying a flag.....or dangling it off the front porch, is selfish, uncaring and insensitive......this country is in deep feces. Actions mean something different.

Thats funny. Titan seems to think flying a flag is "sad."

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!

"Merely flying a flag?" Try flying a swastika and see what the reaction in your community will be.

Of course, you have the perfect right to do so. Just don't be surprised at what people think of it.

Well, if I have the right to fly it, I will. Your long winded "this is sad" rant was really nothing more than a waste of time. I guess that is "sad" too. My wife bought some Dixie shorts just recently. Funny thing though was that it was a black guy that sold the shorts to her. I guess that guy didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be offended. Go ahead and write me a dissertation on that comment.

Oh puhleeeze. :-\

Nice read.........but it goes both ways. And people should respect others and their rights in spite of their differences.

It goes both ways how? Again, I'm not speaking of "rights." People have the right to be uncaring, selfish and insensitive. But let's call it exactly what it is: uncaring. selfish. insensitive.

If merely flying a flag.....or dangling it off the front porch, is selfish, uncaring and insensitive......this country is in deep feces. Actions mean something different.

I think he was referring to the ignorance or insensitivity to what flying the CBF in particular represents.

Understand?

Well, if I have the right to fly it, I will. Your long winded "this is sad" rant was really nothing more than a waste of time. I guess that is "sad" too. My wife bought some Dixie shorts just recently. Funny thing though was that it was a black guy that sold the shorts to her. I guess that guy didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be offended. Go ahead and write me a dissertation on that comment.

If you don't want an answer don't ask the question. Certainly don't ask it, get a thoughtful answer, then complain about getting it. :rolleyes:

No one has questioned your right to fly it. The KKK has a right to march too. There are all sorts of rights. The exercise of them doesn't always put the person or persons doing so in the best light, but knock yourself out.

Oh puhleeeze. :-\/>

It's funny right!

If you don't want an answer don't ask the question. Certainly don't ask it, get a thoughtful answer, then complain about getting it. :rolleyes:/>

No one has questioned your right to fly it. The KKK has a right to march too. There are all sorts of rights. The exercise of them doesn't always put the person or persons doing so in the best light, but knock yourself out.

thoughtful, sure. Inaccurate also. You really didn't help your it is sad comment so it was a waste of time. If you don't want me to ask you questions don't have such incredibly dumb statements.

I think he was referring to the ignorance or insensitivity to what flying the CBF in particular represents.

Understand?

I am reading what he is saying Lima Charlie. I totally disagree with every bit of it. Understand?

my Muslim buddy sells me a sausage biscuit about 3 days a week too.

If you don't want an answer don't ask the question. Certainly don't ask it, get a thoughtful answer, then complain about getting it. :rolleyes:/>

thoughtful, sure. Inaccurate also. You really didn't help your it is sad comment so it was a waste of time. If you don't want me to ask you questions don't have such incredibly dumb statements.

I've tried to answer your questions respectfully even though we disagree. If doing the same is beyond your grasp or you just don't care enough to try, you don't have to be here.

my Muslim buddy sells me a sausage biscuit about 3 days a week too.

he probably wipes with his bare left hand too...enjoy

I've tried to answer your questions respectfully even though we disagree. If doing the same is beyond your grasp or you just don't care enough to try, you don't have to be here.

I give respect to those that deserve it. And an anonymous powermonger with a one way or the highway mindset doesn't exactly do much for me.

I give respect to those that deserve it. And an anonymous powermonger with a one way or the highway mindset doesn't exactly do much for me.

That's not what this is, but if that's how you perceive it, leave. I can even make it so you no longer have to even see the Politics forum and get entangled in discussions that tempt you to be a jackass.

That's not what this is, but if that's how you perceive it, leave. I can even make it so you no longer have to even see the Politics forum and get entangled in discussions that tempt you to be a jackass.

What have I done to you other than call out your ridiculous statement today? It is obvious you have a freaky, stalkerish vendetta against me so go ahead and do whatever you want.

What have I done to you other than call out your ridiculous statement today? It is obvious you have a freaky, stalkerish vendetta against me so go ahead and do whatever you want.

Well, you haven't really called anything out. You've just failed to engage your brain into a discussion I made the mistake of taking seriously with you involved in it.

But I'm just offering that if you think I'm that unfair, unworthy of your precious respect, and a powermonger, then it might be better for you to not participate where you have to possibly deal with me. And if that's not something you could do on your own, I can help.

And puh-leez. No one has any vendettas against you, much less one that would cause them to waste time stalking you. But this is hardly the first time you've shown your rear end in a discussion that didn't warrant such a temperamental response.

Understand?

I am reading what he is saying Lima Charlie. I totally disagree with every bit of it. Understand?

You post clearly indicated you did not. All I have to go on is what you post.

Well, you haven't really called anything out. You've just failed to engage your brain into a discussion I made the mistake of taking seriously with you involved in it.

But I'm just offering that if you think I'm that unfair, unworthy of your precious respect, and a powermonger, then it might be better for you to not participate where you have to possibly deal with me. And if that's not something you could do on your own, I can help.

And puh-leez. No one has any vendettas against you, much less one that would cause them to waste time stalking you. But this is hardly the first time you've shown your rear end in a discussion that didn't warrant such a temperamental response.

Right, deal with your heavy hand and your narrow views or hit the road. Got it! And don't pretend like you attack everybody just the same as me. Raptor called somebody a dumb ass just last night and his post is still up. You once deleted a post of mine that said in verbatim "everything makes sense now."

Right, deal with your heavy hand and your narrow views or hit the road. Got it! And don't pretend like you attack everybody just the same as me. Raptor called somebody a dumb ass just last night and his post is still up. You once deleted a post of mine that said in verbatim "everything makes sense now."

I honestly don't have time to deal with your persecution complex. And as we all know, I could take the time to dissect it and show you where you're off base, but you'd just dismiss it without even trying to comprehend anyway, so I won't waste the time or keystrokes.

This isn't a threat. At least right now. You've certainly shown the ability over time to push the envelope though, so it's possible we could get there in short order. I'm simply suggesting an option for you if my posts and responses just bring the worst out in you. I even have the power to simply hide this forum from your view so you can still talk football and whatnot without having to debate big meanies like me so much. You let me know and I'll flip the switch.

Take if from someone who has personally served several suspensions from the forum.

This forum is not a democracy. It's a privately owned business. The owners have every right to enforce the standards they feel appropriate and as far as I am concerned, that is a damn good thing.

If anything, the standards for civility are too loose IMO.

5e8.jpg

Thanks for the funny. But if people are going to ask me, I'm going to tell them.

Preach!

No, it's not just Titan. I see it too.

Frankly it seems uncharacteristic. I have held you in pretty high regard and considered your posts to be thoughtful. You are really showing your belly button here.

There is nothing sad about it. The people that believe the flag has a deeper meaning than race has every right to buy it.

I neither said, nor implied, anything about rights.

And it's still sad.

Well then you need to give an argument for why it's sad. The cross is a horrible argument so keep that in my mind

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but...

It's a flag that was borne of a country that really only existed because it wanted to preserve slavery. Their own words at the time make it abundantly and undeniably clear that slavery was the reason they were seceding. Regardless of any other good or noble things you think the CSA stood for, that massive stain overshadows everything else. Then in the decades after the defeat of the Confederacy, it was a flag adopted by the KKK and other white supremacists who helped enact Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise and subjugate blacks - not to mention intimidated, terrorized, beat and murdered blacks and those who sympathized with them.

As society began to awaken to this grave sin and moral blight and called for the end of these oppressive laws and segregation, those who still championed the ideas of white supremacy, segregated (but unequal) schools, restaurants, theaters and water fountains chose this same flag as their symbol. They changed state flags to incorporate it into the design. They added it to municipal and state seals and symbols. They raised it over capital domes. They waved it at their pro-segregation rallies.

When they lost those battles in the wake of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, it still was used as a symbol of defiance of those changes.

In spite of all of this, some still try to somehow blot that from their minds and claim it merely represents history and heritage, bravery and valor. But it means none of those things to our black neighbors, brothers and sisters in Christ (for those of us who claim to be Christians). For the overwhelming majority of blacks, it has no honor, no valor, no heritage. It is a symbol of a country that saw them as property, broke up their families, stripped them of their history, and for 100 years after they were technically freed, did everything in its power under that symbolic banner to keep a white boot on their necks. There are no visions of Scarlett O'Hara, cotillions and mint juleps on the veranda. There are visions of hard manual labor in the sweltering Southern summers, being called n***er, being lashed with a bullwhip, poverty, lynchings, rigged jury trials, treated as unclean, and hooded mobs terrorizing them in the night.

This flag has no prior history to the Confederacy that can be recovered. The Cross has that. Heck, even a swastika has that. It is a symbol whose origin and most of its implementation have been associated with nothing but suffering, pain, oppression, subjugation, dehumanization and death for black people in this country.

So in light of all that, I find it sad that the only thing that matters to some (at best) is their feelings, their associations of what the flag means and at worst is a purposeful thumbing of the nose and a middle finger to those for whom it is an inevitably and logically a wholly painful symbol. It's sad that they feel their right to display and fly it is more important than what it means to their neighbor.

i may borrow this to use elsewhere.

I honestly don't have time to deal with your persecution complex. And as we all know, I could take the time to dissect it and show you where you're off base, but you'd just dismiss it without even trying to comprehend anyway, so I won't waste the time or keystrokes.

This isn't a threat. At least right now. You've certainly shown the ability over time to push the envelope though, so it's possible we could get there in short order. I'm simply suggesting an option for you if my posts and responses just bring the worst out in you. I even have the power to simply hide this forum from your view so you can still talk football and whatnot without having to debate big meanies like me so much. You let me know and I'll flip the switch.

"big meanies" ...seriously dude. And yet you wonder

There is nothing sad about it. The people that believe the flag has a deeper meaning than race has every right to buy it.

I neither said, nor implied, anything about rights.

And it's still sad.

Well then you need to give an argument for why it's sad. The cross is a horrible argument so keep that in my mind

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but...

It's a flag that was borne of a country that really only existed because it wanted to preserve slavery. Their own words at the time make it abundantly and undeniably clear that slavery was the reason they were seceding. Regardless of any other good or noble things you think the CSA stood for, that massive stain overshadows everything else. Then in the decades after the defeat of the Confederacy, it was a flag adopted by the KKK and other white supremacists who helped enact Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise and subjugate blacks - not to mention intimidated, terrorized, beat and murdered blacks and those who sympathized with them.

As society began to awaken to this grave sin and moral blight and called for the end of these oppressive laws and segregation, those who still championed the ideas of white supremacy, segregated (but unequal) schools, restaurants, theaters and water fountains chose this same flag as their symbol. They changed state flags to incorporate it into the design. They added it to municipal and state seals and symbols. They raised it over capital domes. They waved it at their pro-segregation rallies.

When they lost those battles in the wake of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, it still was used as a symbol of defiance of those changes.

In spite of all of this, some still try to somehow blot that from their minds and claim it merely represents history and heritage, bravery and valor. But it means none of those things to our black neighbors, brothers and sisters in Christ (for those of us who claim to be Christians). For the overwhelming majority of blacks, it has no honor, no valor, no heritage. It is a symbol of a country that saw them as property, broke up their families, stripped them of their history, and for 100 years after they were technically freed, did everything in its power under that symbolic banner to keep a white boot on their necks. There are no visions of Scarlett O'Hara, cotillions and mint juleps on the veranda. There are visions of hard manual labor in the sweltering Southern summers, being called n***er, being lashed with a bullwhip, poverty, lynchings, rigged jury trials, treated as unclean, and hooded mobs terrorizing them in the night.

This flag has no prior history to the Confederacy that can be recovered. The Cross has that. Heck, even a swastika has that. It is a symbol whose origin and most of its implementation have been associated with nothing but suffering, pain, oppression, subjugation, dehumanization and death for black people in this country.

So in light of all that, I find it sad that the only thing that matters to some (at best) is their feelings, their associations of what the flag means and at worst is a purposeful thumbing of the nose and a middle finger to those for whom it is an inevitably and logically a wholly painful symbol. It's sad that they feel their right to display and fly it is more important than what it means to their neighbor.

i may borrow this to use elsewhere.

Thanks!

Archived